WD internal drive or toshiba external drive?

EthanTheFrogMan
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

Hey there :)

It really depends on what you need the storage for. If you need more simple storage for your system, I'd go for the internal drive as it works much better and more stable trough the SATA connection than external drives that work over the USB port. 
If you plan on moving the drive around , the portable solution should be more appropriate.

I wouldn't worry about the temperatures too much as internal HDDs don't require active cooling in order to work properly. The PSU should also be fine, as long as it's not operating at 90%+ constantly. Just make sure you put it on a slot with some airflow and you should be good to go. 

Captain_WD.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

The internal would be better for performance and general space. lol unless you have a 200W PSU, you will be fine.

I mean the way the nzxt s340 is there is no fans to cool the drives directly

I mean the way the nzxt s340 is there is no fans to cool the drives directly

That's fine, they don't get very hot unless you run them 24/7 at full speed all the them.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

Hey there :)

It really depends on what you need the storage for. If you need more simple storage for your system, I'd go for the internal drive as it works much better and more stable trough the SATA connection than external drives that work over the USB port. 
If you plan on moving the drive around , the portable solution should be more appropriate.

I wouldn't worry about the temperatures too much as internal HDDs don't require active cooling in order to work properly. The PSU should also be fine, as long as it's not operating at 90%+ constantly. Just make sure you put it on a slot with some airflow and you should be good to go. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/