"Fun" Headphone Upgrade

AustinJ

So since the i7 Skylake processors are being put off some time, my goodies budget has opened up this month. With this budget I am looking for some "fun" headphones. Some of you may recall this thread, I am putting that upgrade off for now since the DT880 are holding that need for my less "fun" music. My budget for these will be about the same of those but on the lesser side so about $300-$400.

My current headphones for this use is my DT770's which by the way if you are just using these with a sound card or on-board you NEED to get an actually amp because these sound so much better with an actually amp. At high volumes these headphones still maintain their deep, controlled bass, the mids are nothing special, and the highs are can be extremely harsh with some albums.

So now you know my feelings on those headphones you can get an sort of an idea of what I want. I want to keep that deep, controlled bass and have that be a bit more present without affecting the mids and the highs. Some better mids that are something worth mentioning in the good way would be nice. For the highs, I want them detailed, present, and not harsh. These headphones need to be closed back. The genres that I listen to with my "fun" headphones would be hands-up/techno, house, drum & bass, trance, and hard-style.

Maybe some possible headphones would be Beyerdynamic T70, Mad Dog Pro and Fostex TH600.

Maybe try a pair of open-back headphones?

Why would you suggest that? They're only going to be used with music, so there isn't really a tangible benefit for music, especially with those genres of music. 

@OP: The mad dogs are not a bad idea. Other closed back headphones are escaping me at the moment...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Mad Dogs would definitely be a good idea. Beyerdynamic T70 would be a terrible idea.

Mad Dogs would definitely be a good idea. Beyerdynamic T70 would be a terrible idea.

This. Beyer's current Tesla line is crap.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I'm excited for the gen 2 Tesla, though. Sounds like they'll be addressing the engineering gaffes they made on the first iteration.

I'm excited for the gen 2 Tesla, though. Sounds like they'll be addressing the engineering gaffes they made on the first iteration.

that would be awesome. I need to try a pair of beyers at some point. (I still have never listened to a pair)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Why would you suggest that? They're only going to be used with music, so there isn't really a tangible benefit for music, especially with those genres of music. 

@OP: The mad dogs are not a bad idea. Other closed back headphones are escaping me at the moment...

Yeah I was leaning towards the mad dogs.

I wasn't sure if the new telsa stuff was good or not. My in ears that I have, the 160ie or whatever, sound really muffled, they need an eq to get to sound somewhat okay.

What are some of the engineering gaffes?

What are some of the engineering gaffes?

Under-damping of the driver and enclosure, leading to poor impulse response, lots of treble resonances, and relatively high distortion.

I love my th900, and from what I heard about the th600 about you won't be disappointed.

I love my th900, and from what I heard about the th600 about you won't be disappointed.

How are the highs?

Under-damping of the driver and enclosure, leading to poor impulse response, lots of treble resonances, and relatively high distortion.

That sounds no good hope the Tesla 2 is much better.

How are the highs?

Highs as in treble? A bit boosted and the mid range is a little recessed. Overall it would depends on what you listens to, and for things like techno and jpop/kpop, anything that's heavy on bass th600/900 are very suited.

Highs as in treble? A bit boosted and the mid range is a little recessed. Overall it would depends on what you listens to, and for things like techno and jpop/kpop, anything that's heavy on bass th600/900 are very suited.

Ok now I am really interested in getting this one. I have been interested in getting this headphone for a while now, it just I don't hear a lot of people talk about it. Now do I suck it up and pay $600 for a brand new pair or do I get it used for around $400.

Ok now I am really interested in getting this one. I have been interested in getting this headphone for a while now, it just I don't hear a lot of people talk about it. Now do I suck it up and pay $600 for a brand new pair or do I get it used for around $400.

Getting it used from a reputable seller is about as good as getting it new. High end headphones are often babied, so you really don't need to worry about it. Also, there is a company called Lawton Audio that will sell you new pads for about $30 if you decide that the ones on it are getting old/uncomfortable (although the TH-600 are a very, very comfortable headphone. I could, and often did, wear the Denon D7K for 8 hours a day or more.)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Getting it used from a reputable seller is about as good as getting it new. High end headphones are often babied, so you really don't need to worry about it. Also, there is a company called Lawton Audio that will sell you new pads for about $30 if you decide that the ones on it are getting old/uncomfortable (although the TH-600 are a very, very comfortable headphone. I could, and often did, wear the Denon D7K for 8 hours a day or more.)

I'll get a used pair of these and just a new ear pads if they were heavily used. My DT770 are also used, got them for like $130? I think, it was quite a steal because you could have told me these were new.

Open back will provide a more natural sound 'airy' if you will. 

Here's a video on the T90, if the T70's are anything like them...

Yeah, he knows. The OP already has the DT 880 and clearly wants a closed back can. The T90 and T70 are stupid and overpriced.

Trust me, as SSL said, I'm very well aware. I was asking, because also as SSL said, OP already has a decent pair of open back headphones.

Hey! New SIgnature!