BSOD loop caused by RzFilter.sys

Go to solution Solved by Yeelen,

I've fixed it, in Advanced Startup Repair Options (or whatever it's called, you can click it when Startup Repair says it can't fix it automatically) I could bring the PC back to a point before the Razer Comms update that killed it. I hope @xArtynx can fix it the same way, and maybe others who have the same problem.

Hey guys,

I'm having issues with my build (see signature); it has been working fine since I built it but when I try to start it up now it BSOD's.

It's telling me "Windows driver framework has detected that a violation has occurred" and the file that seems to be causing the problem is called 'RzFilter.sys'. Another topic on the forums tells me it's caused by Razer Comms' Beta software. Now, I would get rid of it, but my PC is not booting into Windows (7 64-bit) and it's not giving me the option to run Safe Mode. It used to let me run Startup Repair, but that didn't do anything and I still couldn't boot. It's now just looped in a Starting Windows-BSOD routine.

Any help?

CPU: i5 4670K w/ NH-D15 - RAM: 4x4GB 1866Mhz Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 - GPU: MSI GTX 970 100ME - SSD: 250GB 850 EVO - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (games) & 2TB (storage) - MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 GAMING - Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Window - Fans:  A lot of Noctua NF-F12 (intake, exhaust) & 1x140mm Fractal Design included case fan - Monitor: DELL U2515H - Keyboard: Custom Logitech G105 - Mouse: Roccat Kova+ - Extra: LG Optical Drive, a lot of dust

Spam click F8 when you boot. This should send you into safe mode. Remove Razer Comms from safe mode

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Spam click F8 when you boot. This should send you into safe mode. Remove Razer Comms from safe mode

Still not working. It seems the RzFilter.sys is inside the system32 folder. So it's probably not Razer Comms :(

CPU: i5 4670K w/ NH-D15 - RAM: 4x4GB 1866Mhz Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 - GPU: MSI GTX 970 100ME - SSD: 250GB 850 EVO - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (games) & 2TB (storage) - MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 GAMING - Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Window - Fans:  A lot of Noctua NF-F12 (intake, exhaust) & 1x140mm Fractal Design included case fan - Monitor: DELL U2515H - Keyboard: Custom Logitech G105 - Mouse: Roccat Kova+ - Extra: LG Optical Drive, a lot of dust

Still not working. It seems the RzFilter.sys is inside the system32 folder. So it's probably not Razer Comms :(

It is Razer Comms. Did you press F8  when the Windows splash screen showed? That should work. 

It is Razer Comms. Did you press F8  when the Windows splash screen showed? That should work. 

It's still BSOD'ing, even in Safe Mode. Can I get rid of it via Command Prompt?

It's still BSOD'ing, even in Safe Mode. Can I get rid of it via Command Prompt?

I dont' know if you can do that with individual files, but how would you get to the Command Prompt if the system keeps giving you BSoD? 

I dont' know if you can do that with individual files, but how would you get to the Command Prompt if the system keeps giving you BSoD? 

After System Recovery (which doesn't give me keyboard & mouse support most of the times) I can go in Advanced System Recovery Options which has Command Prompt as an option.

After System Recovery (which doesn't give me keyboard & mouse support most of the times) I can go in Advanced System Recovery Options which has Command Prompt as an option.

You would have to look it up then. Unfortunatly I only know how to delete folders, and you don't want to delete System32. (No matter what the internet says)

I'm having the exact same problem, I have resorted to attempting to reinstall Windows 7 with my CD. I can't seem to be able to get it to boot off the disc even with putting the disk in and restarting. Seems a bit hopeless for me right now. If anyone has any clue of how to help, please tell. And because of how new this problem seems to be, looking up the problem has gotten me nowhere.

I wish i could actaully remove razer comms...

Can't find how to do it either, and I can't reinstall Windows for a couple of days.

If I can just find a way to reinstall windows I will be fine

I've fixed it, in Advanced Startup Repair Options (or whatever it's called, you can click it when Startup Repair says it can't fix it automatically) I could bring the PC back to a point before the Razer Comms update that killed it. I hope @xArtynx can fix it the same way, and maybe others who have the same problem.

So you used a restore point... Mk ill try

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share what I have found out regarding the rzfilter.sys BSOD issue. 

I actually found the forum searching for the how to fix rzfilter.sys issue, I'm glad I did. Ok so considering you have to log in to your win 7 user account to remove any programs. I logged in using a UBCD.

>>Deleting and Changing .SYS file and or other files in the System32 folder can corrupt your registry and brick your existing OS<<

Do this at your own RISK

1. Logged in to Mini XP

2. Found the drive that had the rzfilter.sys file. >>F:windows/system32/drivers<<

3. Change the file type to .doc ( to see if it changed anything)

4. Rebooted to my actually Boot drive.

a. Found out that the windows boot logon sound was heard and actually saw my boot screen but froze instantly (no mouse no keyboard)

5. Rebooted into Mini XP again and found the rzfilter.sys file. >>F:windows/system32/drivers<<

6. Changed the file type back to .sys

7. Rebooted to my actual Boot drive and logged into my account

8 ASAP to uninstall the Razer Comm and Synapse (just kept Game Booster).

9. Uninstall was successful rebooted to my actual Boot drive

10. Made sure I had the most up to date video driver (Not Beta)

System is running perfect.....

post-36404-0-96324200-1375969302.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

hey, i had bsod and i deleted the hole razer core folder and now i can't use mouse and keyboard. any help?

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem but I have fixed it for myself by simply turning of the internet router/removing ethernet cable.

Hope this works for you too!

• 3 months later...

Thank you sooo much :)

CPU: Intel i5 3570k 4.2GHz with Corsair H100 RAM: Corsair 16GB (4x4) SSD: Samsung 840 120GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Strix GTX 1080 

PSU: OCZ 650W CASE: Fractal Define R5

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/MelchiorVester/saved/#view=RKNXsY