should i have a new build or upgrade?

godson
Go to solution Solved by Darth_Klein,

not on a strict budget or anything

i was looking towards a 980ti but was wondering if i should upgrade everything else as well, i would love a 1440p monitor for single player games but i don't want to lose any consistency whenever i attend an event in cs:go :{

The main/ only bottle neck in your system is your GPU.

was a sponsored computer from 2012 but got h100i & hx1000i last year

specs:  

3700k @ 4.5ghz w/ corsair h100i

16gb ddr3 1866

2gb gtx 680 (reference board don't think it even has any branding on it cause it was straight from nvidia *_*)

asrock extreme 4 z77

250gb ssd, 750gb hdd, 1tb hdd x 2

corsair hx1000i

i play on an asus 24" 144hz 1080p.. pretty much 24" benq or asus monitors are used at any tournament i attend these days so unless they start using 1440p 144hz or higher i probably won't change that.

as of 8/15/2015 i have 657 games on steam so i do play a lot of other games and for the most part the past 3 years everything i've ran has been perfectly smooth but with some recent releases i'm now feeling the choppiness of lower fps :< gta5 won't even give me the option to run in a higher quality (unless they changed that? i havent played it in a whileeee)

what would you guys suggest? my original plan was to wait for skylake but from what i've googled i'm not likely to see that much of a performance boost from that but i wouldn't mind getting 2x 512gb samsung sm951 running in RAID 0 and replace the rest of my outdated storage.

should i hold off on everything until nvidia pascal & a cannonlake? should i upgrade part of my setup? or all of it? IDK WHAT TO DO and sorry for the ramble on some hydrocodone cause kidney stones >.>

I would personally change everything but its all depends on where you are with money.

Your build seems fine. I would suggest just upgrading the Graphics card. I would suggest a MSI 380 or if your team green a 970.

was a sponsored computer from 2012 but got h100i & hx1000i last year

specs:  

3700k @ 4.5ghz w/ corsair h100i

16gb ddr3 1866

2gb gtx 680 (reference board don't think it even has any branding on it cause it was straight from nvidia *_*)

asrock extreme 4 z77

250gb ssd, 750gb hdd, 1tb hdd x 2

corsair hx1000i

i play on an asus 24" 144hz 1080p.. pretty much 24" benq or asus monitors are used at any tournament i attend these days so unless they start using 1440p 144hz or higher i probably won't change that.

as of 8/15/2015 i have 657 games on steam so i do play a lot of other games and for the most part the past 3 years everything i've ran has been perfectly smooth but with some recent releases i'm now feeling the choppiness of lower fps :< gta5 won't even give me the option to run in a higher quality (unless they changed that? i havent played it in a whileeee)

what would you guys suggest? my original plan was to wait for skylake but from what i've googled i'm not likely to see that much of a performance boost from that but i wouldn't mind getting 2x 512gb samsung sm951 running in RAID 0 and replace the rest of my outdated storage.

should i hold off on everything until nvidia pascal & a cannonlake? should i upgrade part of my setup? or all of it? IDK WHAT TO DO and sorry for the ramble on some hydrocodone cause kidney stones >.>

Just upgrade your GPU to a 970 or 380. depending on budget. 

<p>CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.0 GHz | GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX | RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: 500GB | Case: Corsair SPEC-02 Red |PSU: Corsair 750W | OS: Windows 7 64-Bit | Mouse: Corsair M65 (Black) | Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB (Black w/ Brown Switches)

Welcome to the forums and don't forget to follow your own posts @godson

I'd say get a better GPU like a 980ti if you can spend 650USD if less but more than 300USD then a 970 or an r9 390 will do good and consider a new 1440p monitor if you can afford it

Your build seems fine. I would suggest just upgrading the Graphics card. I would suggest a MSI 380 or if your team green a 970.

Did you mean a 390?

Welcome to the forums and don't forget to follow your own posts @godson

I'd say get a better GPU like a 980ti if you can spend 650USD if less but more than 300USD then a 970 or an r9 390 will do good and consider a new 1440p monitor if you can afford it

i was looking towards a 980ti but was wondering if i should upgrade everything else as well, i would love a 1440p monitor for single player games but i don't want to lose any consistency whenever i attend an event in cs:go :{

Trust me man. Your other stuff is fine. Just get a GPU upgrade.

Did you mean a 390?

yes! 

<p>CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.0 GHz | GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX | RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: 500GB | Case: Corsair SPEC-02 Red |PSU: Corsair 750W | OS: Windows 7 64-Bit | Mouse: Corsair M65 (Black) | Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB (Black w/ Brown Switches)

The main/ only bottle neck in your system is your GPU.

okie dokie sounds good then so new gpu =) probably going to get some ssd's as well.. guess a full build will wait until cannonlake! thanks for the help guys!