raid 0 questions

Guest Johnny5g

Green Drives are 5400RPM only. The Blues and Black are 7200RPM.

As for the OS, you can clone it, or do a clean install (preferred).

WD Greens are in the ballpark of 5400RPM but they're fine tuned individually to get to the speed/power consumption sweet spot. The speed varies quite a bit between them. WD calls the technology Intellispeed.

WD Greens are in the ballpark of 5400RPM but they're fine tuned individually to get to the speed/power consumption sweet spot. The speed varies quite a bit between them. WD calls the technology Intellispeed.

i think it had that.

hello i want to put 2 hard drives in raid 0 but i don't know how. how would i do that? do i need a card to do it? could i use a WD blue with a WD green in raid 0? thanks!

Hey there Johnny5g,

Generally you can put any two or more drives in a RAID array. You can use either software RAID (from Disk Management or some other software) or hardware RAID (from the motherboard or with an additional RAID controller card). RAID0 offers good speed increase both for the read and write speeds but does not offer any redundancy, meaning if either of the drives fail for some reason you would lose all data on the whole array. If you do go with RAID0 I strongly recommend having a full backup on a separate drive of all your important data. 

It is recommended to use NAS/RAID-class drives for such purposes because these drives have additional features that make them run smoother and safer in such conditions. I would recommend taking a look at WD Red: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=yoHoQS . It has all the needed features to run safe in a RAID array and has a lower chance of corrupting the data or dropping out of the RAID.

RAID0 would provide you with a significant speed increase but would increase the chance of data loss. Generally you would benefit from it for everyday usage, but boot times might be longer due to RAID initialization. Moreover, games benefit from the storage's performance only for the loading times. FPS and graphics are not affected at all.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/