Router/ modem difference?

AlamoStar

Tired of paying 8$ a month for the crappy modem time warner is leasing me. looking to buy new one but i don't quite understand the difference between a modem and a router. i was looking at this product my friend recommended me but not sure of this would work, if anyone could help me out. Here is the one he link me too https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTN66U/overview/

Modem is a modulator/demodulator. It turns digital signal to analog. So it's required in the connections where the data is sen via analog channels such as telephone lines on DSL or the cable line on DOCSIS. For the connections that pass the digital signal along as is, like fiber does, no modem is required.

Router handles addresses, networks, protocols, security and so on. Stuff that is needed to connect more than two computers to each other. Basically modems have a built in router. What you linked is a router only and requires a separate modem, if what I wrote above applies to your connection.

Modem is a modulator/demodulator. It turns digital signal to analog. So it's required in the connections where the data is sen via analog channels such as telephone lines on DSL or the cable line on DOCSIS. For the connections that pass the digital signal along as is, like fiber does, no modem is required.

Router handles addresses, networks, protocols, security and so on. Stuff that is needed to connect more than two computers to each other. Basically modems have a built in router. What you linked is a router only and requires a separate modem, if what I wrote above applies to your connection.

oh i see.thank you.  Is there any good modems you would recommend?  

The easiest modem that work with multiple ISPs are the Motorola Surfboard models (get whichever suits your needs). Used to have Time Warner before I moved away from Texas and bought an identical model of the same Surfboard modem TW was leasing out to me off eBay. Apparently, Motorola Surfboards have the highest compatibility with cable ISPs.

Tired of paying 8$ a month for the crappy modem time warner is leasing me. looking to buy new one but i don't quite understand the difference between a modem and a router. i was looking at this product my friend recommended me but not sure of this would work, if anyone could help me out. Here is the one he link me too https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTN66U/overview/

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B00AJHDZSI

for the modem

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

The easiest modem that work with multiple ISPs are the Motorola Surfboard models (get whichever suits your needs). Used to have Time Warner before I moved away from Texas and bought an identical model of the same Surfboard modem TW was leasing out to me off eBay. Apparently, Motorola Surfboards have the highest compatibility with cable ISPs.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll probably end up getting on of the Motorola modems! 

Thanks for the help guys! I'll probably end up getting on of the Motorola modems! 

if you need a router as well (which im guessing you do..or you have one already)

look at the asus routers

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Nothing bad to say about Asus in general.

I'm guessing you're from the land of the Americas. I'll let your countrymen suggest products. It's a whole another world back here in Finland! Basically we have a reindeer-mounted Wi-Fi that roams the country at random. :D No, really things vary widely in price and availability regionally so what's good here is easily beyond reach there, and vice versa.

Nothing bad to say about Asus in general.

I'm guessing you're from the land of the Americas. I'll let your countrymen suggest products. It's a whole another world back here in Finland! Basically we have a reindeer-mounted Wi-Fi that roams the country at random. :D No, really things vary widely in price and availability regionally so what's good here is easily beyond reach there, and vice versa.

why cant we just all be one big country ;-;

Yeah, man. Motorola makes great modems and they work flawlessly with your ISP.