New rig not working now

Whitenova

So I was helping a friend build a new pc and we had gone all the way through building the entire machine and had it installing windows and everything was running smoothly. All seemed good until my friend (btw my friend doesn't have much experience) noticed one of the case fans wasn't working and decided to fix it. He proceeded to plug the fan into a molex to 6-pin connector and then plugged that into the power supply. The second he plugged the 6-pin in the rig shut off and will not turn on at all.

So I was helping a friend build a new pc and we had gone all the way through building the entire machine and had it installing windows and everything was running smoothly. All seemed good until my friend (btw my friend doesn't have much experience) noticed one of the case fans wasn't working and decided to fix it. He proceeded to plug the fan into a molex to 6-pin connector and then plugged that into the power supply. The second he plugged the 6-pin in the rig shut off and will not turn on at all.

6-pin? Fans only use 3-pin or 4-pin connectors. Unplug the fan and leave it as it was before and see if it fixes the issue.

1. you really shouldn't mess with the computer when its on

2. check your connections, maybe something got unplugged

3. RMA the psu

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

He probably just shorted out the 12v rail permanently.

Meaning a new power supply would be needed?

6-pin? Fans only use 3-pin or 4-pin connectors. Unplug the fan and leave it as it was before and see if it fixes the issue.

it was molex to 6 pin straight into the psu

When you're helping someone with little experience build a computer, never let them do things with it of their own accord. never, never never. only asking for trouble.

When you're helping someone with little experience build a computer, never let them do things with it of their own accord. never, never never. only asking for trouble.

I know I was hand holding until I had to leave the room for one moment and I came back right as it happened.

I know I was hand holding until I had to leave the room for one moment and I came back right as it happened.

*sigh*

*sigh*

you don't even know how I felt. It was like a child in an expensive store where all he had to do was NOT TOUCH ANYTHING but he broke the rule. I would of told him strictly not to touch anything but I thought he would of taken the hint plus I thought he may of learned something since he's seen me put together 3 or 4 of my personal rigs.

you don't even know how I felt. It was like a child in an expensive store where all he had to do was NOT TOUCH ANYTHING but he broke the rule. I would of told him strictly not to touch anything but I thought he would of taken the hint plus I thought he may of learned something since he's seen me put together 3 or 4 of my personal rigs.

Give the man a medal

/s

Give the man a medal

/s

I'm tempted. He just texted me to ask if he can borrow some stuff off of one of my rigs to test what is wrong with his rig. I told him no nicely but inside I wanted to say If i cant trust you with your own cheap parts why would I give you my good stuff!

I'm tempted. He just texted me to ask if he can borrow some stuff off of one of my rigs to test what is wrong with his rig. I told him no nicely but inside I wanted to say If i cant trust you with your own cheap parts why would I give you my good stuff!

RMA the PSU, see if that works.