Recording 1080p Gameplays

Hey guys. I wanted record game-play footage to make some videos for YouTube but I have been facing a lot of difficulties to get a good framerate in the videos. I'm using a GTX670 from Asus, an i7 3820 and 16gb of ram. The game I'm trying to record right now is Need for speed hot pursuit. Recording doesn't make my game lag a lot, but when I check the end result, the video is just unusable! In fraps the video gets all choppy and in Dxtory the video looks like a slideshow (even in 720p). What is more frustating is that I see a lot of people with lower end systems recording in 1080p games like crysis 3 in fraps also! Anyone here have any suggestions on what I can do to solve this problem?

You should have a dedicated hard drive that doesn't do anything other than saving recording...

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Did you try to import the footage into your editing program? It could be because the amount of data your video player have to eat through is so massive.

Didn't think of that... VLC usually seems to fix this problem for me, don't need to import to Vegas... For me at least

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

You need a harddrive speed of at least  90mb/s to record 1080p, test your harddrive's speed in dxtory and see what you get. That might be the cause of it. Also try out the Lagarith Lossless video codec, good quality and smaller file sizes.(remember to enable multi threading and use YV12)

http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

You could try another codec in Dxtory like Lagarith Lossless Codec.

Edit: I was too slow.

My HDD (its also where I store my games, the windows is on a SSD) is a 7200rpm sata 3 hard drive. But i'm getting only 8-10 MBps on the folder I'm recording to. How can i get the speed up for my recordings? I was running the dxtory video codec on 30 fps in both 1080p and 720p and enabled the 8 treads.

I'm also gonna try using another video player... I was using windows media player :/ ...

My HDD (its also where I store my games, the windows is on a SSD) is a 7200rpm sata 3 hard drive. But i'm getting only 8-10 MBps on the folder I'm recording to. How can i get the speed up for my recordings? I was running the dxtory video codec on 30 fps in both 1080p and 720p and enabled the 8 treads.

I'm also gonna try using another video player... I was using windows media player :/ ...

8-10 MBps? It should be at least 10 times higher with your HDD.

1080p 60 frames with fraps can write 180mbps

I am good at computer

Spoiler

8-10 MBps? It should be at least 10 times higher with your HDD.

Thats what I thought! I don't know why it's so low! Maybe it's the folders or the health of the hdd?

You could try another codec in Dxtory like Lagarith Lossless Codec.

Edit: I was too slow.

Aha! You might have been fast, but i was faster!

Thats what I thought! I don't know why it's so low! Maybe it's the folders or the health of the hdd?

I suggest formatting the drive on cmd using the format command, for instance format C: where the drive letter is whatever the drive you want to format. Don't add the /q argument to the end either as this doesn't format the drive as effectively

I am good at computer

Spoiler

here is a video that might help.

You should be getting 100MBS ona 7200RPM sata 3 HDD, I have two sata 2 drives each get 90MBS and in raid I get about 170-180.

Also don't record at 60 unless you want big files and want to do slow motion stuff, it takes more to write to a HDD to do 60, use 30 since that's all youtube will allow. 

Also don't record at 60 unless you want big files and want to do slow motion stuff, it takes more to write to a HDD to do 60, use 30 since that's all youtube will allow.

I like 60+ solely for the ease of editing, also I like using slow motion. Anyway, most good editing programs can render to 29.97

I am good at computer

Spoiler

I like 60+ solely for the ease of editing, also I like using slow motion. Anyway, most good editing programs can render to 29.97

Well sony vegas, after affects, and premier all do that. But OP is having FPS problems so it was just as a solution. most people don't do slow motion gaming since it's kinda useless unless in a FPS based game.

Well sony vegas, after affects, and premier all do that. But OP is having FPS problems so it was just as a solution. most people don't do slow motion gaming since it's kinda useless unless in a FPS based game.

I ise it to highlight when I fail massively. But you're right, switching to 30fps will improve the fps issues in fps games

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Just thought I would add into the discussion.

OP, you could try OpenBroadcastSoftware, it is primarily a streaming program, but it has local recording. It's free and you can try and use this to see if it's your hard drive or maybe it's just recording settings on DXTory.

You could also try MSI Afterburner, this is primarily a GPU monitoring and overclocking program, but it does have a decent recording option as well.

Again, I would just recommend this for testing. I used DXTory for a long while, but I recently switched to OBS permanently as it can compress videos at 720p/1080p in .mp4/.flv and it has low file size. I have a 30 minute, 720p gameplay at 30FPS and it's about 450MB or less in size.

If you're already comfortable with DXTory then by all means I understand, just use these for testing the problem!

-Snip-

HOLY COW, no one ever said ANYTHING about the file size, heard Logan talking about it but I just though it would be like DXtory just with less quiality

HOLY COW, no one ever said ANYTHING about the file size, heard Logan talking about it but I just though it would be like DXtory just with less quiality

You really just have to play around with the settings.

Right now I use Sony Vegas for editing/rendering, but I bet Windows Movie Maker would be a good alternative. You could also use Handbrake to render/compress large RAW outputs for DXTory.

• 4 weeks later...

I have 80MB/sec write speed and can chieve 100% stble 30 fps 720p. altough it fluctuates from 22 to 30 in 1080p.

dud ejust record your 1080p gameplay in 720p. its gonna look just as good as a if someone was watching 1080p gameplay in 720p !

and youtube encoding is horribad so difference between 1080p and 720p is minimal.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.