A question about laptop battery

thetwo4th

Hey guys. I just recently got an Asus N550JX laptop and i was wondering if it is ok that i am regularly plugging and unplugging it to a power source. I have read that it is good for the battery to be around 40% - 80%. So everytime it drops to 40% or reaches around 80% i plug/unplug it. Is that ok, or should i keep it plugged in when i am not travelling/or just at home?

Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k || GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition || Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming || CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB || PSU: AeroCool KCAS 700W || Case: NZXT S340 Black/Red

for long lasting battery life , the best thing to do is drain the battery as low as possible and then charge it fully , dont keep the adapter plugged and use the laptop at the same time ( u can get dieing batteries after 1-2years already doing that )

batteries have a limited amoutn of charges and if u keep charging it at a high % it will degrade/die off much quicker then when u charge with really low battery left

(◑‿◐)

for long lasting battery life , the best thing to do is drain the battery as low as possible and then charge it fully

https://youtu.be/LBKuOomv9Ko?t=22s

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400  | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti    | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

the fact remains that a battery has a limited amount of recharges, thus the longer u use the battery per time the longer it will last

litium batteries dieing within 1-2years are known from experience with 24/7 adapter plugged in ( while using the laptop )

(◑‿◐)

the fact remains that a battery has a limited amount of recharges, thus the longer u use the battery per time the longer it will last

litium batteries dieing within 1-2years are known from experience with 24/7 adapter plugged in ( while using the laptop )

Lol my 10 year old dell that's constantly plugged in has an almost perfect battery, still original from 10 years ago xD 

It depends on the power regulation built into the laptop, but using a laptop while it's charging is NOT BAD for it, and is something quite common to do. But be warned that if you leave it in for extended periods of time the power regulation modules n' stuff may become "worn out" per say, and could potentially reduce battery effectiveness 

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

for long lasting battery life , the best thing to do is drain the battery as low as possible and then charge it fully , dont keep the adapter plugged and use the laptop at the same time ( u can get dieing batteries after 1-2years already doing that )

batteries have a limited amoutn of charges and if u keep charging it at a high % it will degrade/die off much quicker then when u charge with really low battery left

that's what i like to do

the lapaptop that i got was already used by someone so when it reached about 7% it would suddenly go to hibernate but after a few charges to 100% then discharged to 7% now it goes as low as 4%, so it actually helped

also, in hwmonitor the wear level of the battery when i got it was 8% and now only 6 so it actually helped it

you moght say that it's wrong what i do but let me tell you another experience:

i had an old lg gt405 which it lasted 5+ days on a single charge. always waited till it gave me those annoying low battery messages and chrged it to 100%. i used it about 3 years and the battery was't having any problems

after that i got  an acer s500 which had a small battery. i would come home from school with like 40-50%, charge it to 80-90 then unplugg and use it. after about one year, when it reached 20-30% it would completely die

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

Lol my 10 year old dell that's constantly plugged in has an almost perfect battery, still original from 10 years ago xD 

It depends on the power regulation built into the laptop, but using a laptop while it's charging is NOT BAD for it, and is something quite common to do. But be warned that if you leave it in for extended periods of time the power regulation modules n' stuff may become "worn out" per say, and could potentially reduce battery effectiveness 

yah sometimes u are lucky , but in most cases the lithium batteries do die off quickly 24/7 plugged

(◑‿◐)

Thanks for the input guys! That video was very informative. And Gale, you're pretty. ^_^

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k || GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition || Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming || CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB || PSU: AeroCool KCAS 700W || Case: NZXT S340 Black/Red

that's what i like to do

the lapaptop that i got was already used by someone so when it reached about 7% it would suddenly go to hibernate but after a few charges to 100% then discharged to 7% now it goes as low as 4%, so it actually helped

also, in hwmonitor the wear level of the battery when i got it was 8% and now only 6 so it actually helped it

you moght say that it's wrong what i do but let me tell you another experience:

i had an old lg gt405 which it lasted 5+ days on a single charge. always waited till it gave me those annoying low battery messages and chrged it to 100%. i used it about 3 years and the battery was't having any problems

after that i got  an acer s500 which had a small battery. i would come home from school with like 40-50%, charge it to 80-90 then unplugg and use it. after about one year, when it reached 20-30% it would completely die

can really be because u charge it at 40-50% all the time, they do die off quicker that way its just a fact... but it really differs per battery also... one can take millions of recharges at 40-50% while the other one dies off after dieing it just for a few months,   to avoid quick deaths on batteries ( and long lasting life :P ) its best to take care of it properly though ... coz u wont get the same luck always ^^

(◑‿◐)

What you guys need to know is that Lithium-ion/poly batteries aren't like your standard alkaline batteries, where they are all the same, or close too.

They really varies between models/manufacture, some are resistant to heat, for example, others not. Some support quick charge and don't degrade while other do; some support high number of charge cycles, others far less.. Also, the recharge circuit of the laptop, some are good, some are bad.

So it really depends how cheap or high-end the manufacture went with the battery and charge circuit, for your specific laptop.

What you guys need to know is that Lithium-ion/poly batteries aren't like your standard alkaline batteries, where they are all the same, or close too.

They really varies between models/manufacture, some are resistant to heat, for example, others not. Some support quick charge and don't degrade while other do; some support high number of charge cycles, others far less.. Also, the recharge circuit of the laptop, some are good, some are bad.

So it really depends how cheap or high-end the manufacture went with the battery and charge circuit, for your specific laptop.

thats basicly already wht i was saying :P the batteries are just like the chips.... luck of the draw to get a good one ( but instead of it overclocking great itl last u long time ;p )

(◑‿◐)