is it worth upgrading to a 780

halmahera

I currently have a gtx 560 and was wondering if its worth upgrading to a 780. I have the money and I'm on the fence if i should wait for the price to come down or wait for my current video card to die. If anyone could help me that would be awesome.

That's a big jump. Are you sticking with 1080p?

A single 7970/770 maxes out pretty much everything at 1080p.

Might want to wait  for the 9XXX series and grab a 7970/7950 for cheap.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I am sticking to 1080p for now I'm going to upgrade to 1440p monitor later but not for a while

wait for the 9xxx series. 7970/780 prices will drop. 

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Depends on what are you using it for ..

If it's World of Warcraft and basic RTS Games, then no point upgrading ..

If it's Latest Action games (e.g. Crysis 3, Far Cry 3 ...etc) .. then YES .. It's a worthy Upgrade ..

Personally .. I saw massive difference when I moved from GTX 580 to Dual 7970 .. because I play demanding games ..

Rig1LianLi O11 Dynamic Evo | Asus Crosshair VIII Formula | Ryzen 9 5950x  | 2TB Gen 4 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 49" 5120x1440 

Rig2: TT Tower 200 | Asus X670e-i | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | 2TB Gen 5 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 57" 7680x2160  | Oculus Quest Pro

I mainly play newer titles (battlefield, Crysis 3 etc)...

I also do some photoshop/aftereffects work...

I know I'll see more of a difference in that.

If you feel like you want the extra performance(which is a lot by the way) then get it. The 780 is a great card and will remain a great card even when amd releases their new lineup at the end of the year...if you can wait then wait....even if you do still choose the 780 you can make an informed decision when amd releases their cards. At the moment everything is still rumours i believe.....although i have stopped following their new cards so im not sure....either way amd will bring something out to compete with the 780.....sooo yeah....

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

I'm not a fan of amd so I wasn't really planing on getting one of their cards unless it was going to be a lot better and cheaper than nvidia. 

amd is a good brand don't get me wrong they produce good products I'm just not a fan of their line up.

I have a gtx560 and am going to get a 780. In most situations It will double your frame rates in most situations and will handle higher resolutions, but I'm tempted to wait for the 9970 and you could too if your in no rush

i7 4790k | Asus Z97 M-Plus | 16GB Mushkin 1600mhz | Sapphire R9 390X | Samsung 830 128GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Corsair HX750i | Corsair Carbide 330r Blackout Edition 

I'm not in a rush but I kinda am at the same time...

My 560 is working but its not going to last much longer..

I put a good overclock on it about a year ago and its now showing sings of that its close to dying.

If you're working in CS then you'll definitively want to go for an AMD card for OpenCL.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I am sticking to 1080p for now I'm going to upgrade to 1440p monitor later but not for a while

I'm not a fan of amd so I wasn't really planing on getting one of their cards unless it was going to be a lot better and cheaper than nvidia. 

amd is a good brand don't get me wrong they produce good products I'm just not a fan of their line up.

Just get a 7970: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-ax79703gbd52dhv3

It's nearly neck to neck with the 770 and is much cheaper, supports OpenCL for your programs, and has more vram. You can also add another 7970 later to outperform the 780 and for 1440p.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I say yes because it's a beast card and because of which, I reckon it'll last for a pretty long time

CPU: A10-5800K, GPU: 7660D, RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x 4GB 1600Mhz, PSU: Rosewill Stallion series RD500-2SB 500W, Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35, HDD: WD 10EZEX 1TB Blue, Case: Rosewill Line-M mAtx

Just get a 7970: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-ax79703gbd52dhv3

It's nearly neck to neck with the 770 and is much cheaper, supports OpenCL for your programs, and has more vram. You can also add another 7970 later to outperform the 780 and for 1440p.

Xfire has it's problems as we all know and even when they will bring out their new driver that will fix the stutters, a single card is still better as we all know

CPU: A10-5800K, GPU: 7660D, RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x 4GB 1600Mhz, PSU: Rosewill Stallion series RD500-2SB 500W, Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35, HDD: WD 10EZEX 1TB Blue, Case: Rosewill Line-M mAtx

Just get a 7970: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-ax79703gbd52dhv3

But maybe im underestimating a dual 7970 solution...

I'm don't really want to do a dual card set up...

I would have to upgrade more stuff than I was hoping...

I most likely will do in the future but not with what i have now

Grab the 780. Its a boss in all games and will work just as good as a 7970 in adobe programs.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

I can't tell you if it's worth it to you. That is all up to you to decide. I would personally get a 780 though since you will have access to more VRAM and the power of the 780 is irresistible.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

GTX 770 will be your best option here. It's still a big jump from a 560 to a 770 and you will probably have power supply issues because your computer might be old now. Maybe even motherboard problems. Probably CPU bottlenecks

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

GTX 770 will be your best option here. It's still a big jump from a 560 to a 770 and you will probably have power supply issues because your computer might be old now. Maybe even motherboard problems. Probably CPU bottlenecks

Not enough jump for the buck... 256bit memory bus and still low vram.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Also what is your PC specs?

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Not enough jump for the buck... 256bit memory bus and still low vram.

I meant the 4GB version

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

as others have said, the 9970 should be out in the next couple months. if you can hold out till then, it will likely be more powerful and cheaper then the 780.

I feel like the 780 is just a bit overpriced for what you actually get.

Intel 4770k   -   Corsair Vengeance Pro CL9 16gb 1866mhz   -   Corsair Air 540   -   Gentle Typhoon AP45   -   Corsair ax1200i   -   Razer Death Adder 2013   -   Filco Majestouch 2   -   Crucial m4 256gb ssd   -   1TB Western Digital Black   -   Asus Maximus vi Formula   -   Bitspower matte black fittings   -   Black Ice sr1 240mm and 360mm Radiators   -   Swiftech mcp655   -   EK x-res pump top   -   Promochill Advanced lrt 3/8 5/8 bloodshed red tubing   -   swiftech apogee hd cpu block   -   Asus pb278q 1440p monitor   -   Razer Carcharas Headphones   -   Razer Vespula Hard Mouse Pad   -   Arctic Silver 5 TIM   -   Sapphire r9-290x   -   Ek-fc R9-290x Waterblock and Backplate

as others have said, the 9970 should be out in the next couple months. if you can hold out till then, it will likely be more powerful and cheaper then the 780.

I feel like the 780 is just a bit overpriced for what you actually get.

780 is a good price, considering you have to pay $1000 for a titan, but a 780 is extremely close to a titan, the only drawback is that 780 only has 3GB VRAM and no more for any other 780. But titan has 6GB so you can't use a 780 for surround or eye finity since VRAM doesn't stack