No HD 8000 series in 2013 from AMD (Official)

TechFan@ic
Well looks the the rumour that they were getting "delayed" was true. Kinda sucks and I highly doubt the 7970 will still beat the "GTX 700 series".

I think both AMD & nVidia will skip this gen going straight to the HD 9000 series and the GT/GTX 800 series .

Well thegamezbeplayed , usually when a company skips a process node say from 28nm to 20nm they also skip a generation of cards .

Since TSMC's 20nm node is already ready and going strong, and since AMD decided to postpone the launch to Q4 , AMD can take advantage of the new process node , and skip the 8000 series which was supposed to be manufactured on the same process node as the 7000 series which is the 28nm bulk process .

AMD & nVidia have always stuck to a single process node for two consecutive generations & if they decide to skip the 28nm node for the 20nm for the next generation there is no point in calling it the 8000 or 700 series .

AMD has also already released OEM 8000 series cards which were rebrands of the current 7000 series cards .

I speculate that for AMD to avoid consumer confusion of having two sets of 8000 series cards on the same time that actually perform differently they will just skip the 8000 series all together and go straight for the 9000 series .

I think this is fine news. AMD would suffer if their video cards came out and were poor (driver-wise). All the mad customers and lame reviews could ruin them. Let Team Green have 2013' date=' this is all they do and are most likely ready to roll out anyway. [/quote']

I believe nVidia will be more than happy to postpone the release of it's cards as well & work on the fabled Maxwell that's supposed to integrate ARM SoC's on the same die of the GPU .

The PowerColor Devil 13 costs 999$ but the regular 7990 from powercolor costs 899$ ' date=' so a reference 7990 with two Tahiti Pro chips instead of Tahiti XT chips for 700-800$ is not far fetched. Also I said 1000$ because that's how much Linus speculated it will cost & because the 690 already costs 1000$ , if Titan is equally fast or faster there is no way nVidia is going to sell it for as much or cheaper than the 690 . [/quote']

like I said

so unless it's a 7950x2 or a 7970+7950 version of the 7990 I doubt it'll cost less than $800

and linus also speculated that it would actually perform similarly to a gtx 690,meaning slightly better or slightly worse, in one of his live streams.and linus didn't say it would cost $1000 he said a big price tag.that could be around $900.I'd say it should perform sightly worse because it has 2688 cuda cores vs the 3072 cuda cores of the GTX 690.

"which doesn't necessarily indicate anything about performance,although maybe..maybe it performs similarly but it's a single gpu so you don't have to deal with any driver nonsense."

and a large amount of rumors going around pin it at around 85% of the gtx 690's speed.

I doubt this is real but saw this and it seems about where I would think the Titan's performance should be.

titanic2.png

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Ok, I have read that same article again and again, I still do not see anywhere were it plainly states that there will be "No 8000 Series Desktop GPU's in 2013" From what I can gather it states that the major focus at the moment is 7000 Series. (They're relying on interpretation errors) the entire article is worded very abnormally.

I have a theory. I think that AMD is using this whole thing as a giant Publicity stunt so when they do drop 8000 (I think maybe August/September) they'll get a positive surprised reaction from consumers. I think they're trying to act on what they learnt from over hyping their CPU's and people being disappointed.

What I've written in blue is wild speculation with nothing but gut feeling to back it up. It may be as likely as a llama and a turkey being successfully being crossbred but I'm not going to go and drop my hopes of seeing new Desktop GPU's from AMD this year.

If they don't do Desktop GPU's this year we'll see only notebook gpu's with 8000 branding and desktops will probably skip straight to 9000 next year. They might even split the naming structures and go with something entirely different.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

The PowerColor Devil 13 costs 999$ but the regular 7990 from powercolor costs 899$ ' date=' so a reference 7990 with two Tahiti Pro chips instead of Tahiti XT chips for 700-800$ is not far fetched. Also I said 1000$ because that's how much Linus speculated it will cost & because the 690 already costs 1000$ , if Titan is equally fast or faster there is no way nVidia is going to sell it for as much or cheaper than the 690 . [/quote']

like I said

so unless it's a 7950x2 or a 7970+7950 version of the 7990 I doubt it'll cost less than $800

and linus also speculated that it would actually perform similarly to a gtx 690,meaning slightly better or slightly worse, in one of his live streams.and linus didn't say it would cost $1000 he said a big price tag.that could be around $900.I'd say it should perform sightly worse because it has 2688 cuda cores vs the 3072 cuda cores of the GTX 690.

"which doesn't necessarily indicate anything about performance,although maybe..maybe it performs similarly but it's a single gpu so you don't have to deal with any driver nonsense."

and a large amount of rumors going around pin it at around 85% of the gtx 690's speed.

I doubt this is real but saw this and it seems about where I would think the Titan's performance should be.

titanic2.png

Please don't link to Titan rumors & speculation, this is not a Titan rumor thread .

Ok, I have read that same article again and again, I still do not see anywhere were it plainly states that there will be "No 8000 Series Desktop GPU's in 2013" From what I can gather it states that the major focus at the moment is 7000 Series. (They're relying on interpretation errors) the entire article is worded very abnormally.

I have a theory. I think that AMD is using this whole thing as a giant Publicity stunt so when they do drop 8000 (I think maybe August/September) they'll get a positive surprised reaction from consumers. I think they're trying to act on what they learnt from over hyping their CPU's and people being disappointed.

What I've written in blue is wild speculation with nothing but gut feeling to back it up. It may be as likely as a llama and a turkey being successfully being crossbred but I'm not going to go and drop my hopes of seeing new Desktop GPU's from AMD this year.

If they don't do Desktop GPU's this year we'll see only notebook gpu's with 8000 branding and desktops will probably skip straight to 9000 next year. They might even split the naming structures and go with something entirely different.

They officially revealed that they'll release the cards in Q4 via an official release of their GPU roadmap .

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Radeon-Delay-GeForce-HD8000,20979.html

if AMD wants to compete with the Titan, it cannot be a 7990. The beauty of the titan is its a single gpu. Id love to see AMD pull something similar off

Doesn't look like 7000 being replaced soon... but maybe new flagship product later this year?

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/video/amds-hd-7000-series-may-stick-around-throughout-2013/

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

if AMD wants to compete with the Titan, it cannot be a 7990. The beauty of the titan is its a single gpu. Id love to see AMD pull something similar off
You are right on the money, I genuinely believe that AMD does not understand that though .

They think of it "corporately" if that makes since .

If the 7990 turns out to be faster what will be going through AMD's executives' minds' is :

Product A is slightly faster (7990) & cheaper (800$) so consumers will buy it over the competition's product B (Titan) which is slightly slower & more expensive (999$).

Which is just wrong .

They will have completely forgotten to think about scaling problems and driver headaches which are actually more important than pure performance.

also if they release a dual gpu to compete with nvidias titan, nvidia would have the fastest setup. 4x titans would beat anything AMD has

Well I guess I will just get a 680 or 7990.

i don't think AMD will care about that. very tiny market segment with very tiny profitable margin if there's any.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

like I said

titanic2.png

Please don't link to Titan rumors & speculation' date=' this is not a Titan rumor thread .[/quote']

what to do when you end up looking stupid:find any unrelated slip up from the other guy

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552