Need Help With Picking a New Keyboard.

misthosg

Hello All,

So, I previously have owned a CM Storm TK with cherry mx blues, and I realized how much faster I was at typing on my razer rubber dome keyboard, so i sold it and now I am looking into buying a new mechanical keyboard. So I have a few questions...

Are there any keyboards that the keys aren't so high up? I think that is part of the reason I didn't like my cm storm and some other mechanical keyboards. Meaning I like the switches recessed a little bit more into the keyboard housing. 

What switch is most similar to rubber dome in bump, but has the very nice mechanical feel? Browns?

Thank you very much

Build: CPU: i7-4790k @4.4 GHz 1.2v | GPU: Sapphire R9 380 Nitro | Memory: 16GB Evga SSC | Storage: 250GB 850 Evo, 1 TB Toshiba HDD | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7  | Cooling: Aigo T120 RGB | Case: NZXT S340 | PSU: Antec HCG 520w | OS: Windows 10 | Keyboard: Corsair K70, Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Logitech G600 | Monitor: LG 27UD58-B | Headset: Audio-Technica M40x w/ Modmic and Bravo Audio V2 Tube Amplifier 

Steelseries Apex? Last I checked it had pretty low key travel but with the mechanical feel. Keep in mind, mechanical switches aren't for everybody... Don't try and force yourself onto the hype train :P

Project Tomahawk:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

Memory: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 Mhz

GPU: Asus Strix RX 480

PSU: Corsair RM1000

Storage: 2x Western Digital 2TB Enterprise + 240GB Crucial M500 SSD

Case: Corsair Air 540

Additional: Cablemod C-Series black/red kit, SP120, AF140 and AF140 w/ red LED's all around

Project Frankenstein:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX 6100

Motherboard: MSI 970 SLI Krait Edition

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Memory: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 Mhz

GPU: MSI R9 280 3G Twin Frozr

PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W

Storage: Western Digital 1TB Enterprise + 240GB Partiot Torch SSD

Case: Fractal Design Define S

Sheila (Server):

Spoiler

Dell R210:
CPU: Intel Xeon x3450

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600 Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation 

Marvin (Server)

Spoiler

Dell R210ii

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230v2

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation

Steelseries Apex? Last I checked it had pretty low key travel but with the mechanical feel. Keep in mind, mechanical switches aren't for everybody... Don't try and force yourself onto the hype train :P

You are right...

Build: CPU: i7-4790k @4.4 GHz 1.2v | GPU: Sapphire R9 380 Nitro | Memory: 16GB Evga SSC | Storage: 250GB 850 Evo, 1 TB Toshiba HDD | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7  | Cooling: Aigo T120 RGB | Case: NZXT S340 | PSU: Antec HCG 520w | OS: Windows 10 | Keyboard: Corsair K70, Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Logitech G600 | Monitor: LG 27UD58-B | Headset: Audio-Technica M40x w/ Modmic and Bravo Audio V2 Tube Amplifier 

Hello All,

So, I previously have owned a CM Storm TK with cherry mx blues, and I realized how much faster I was at typing on my razer rubber dome keyboard, so i sold it and now I am looking into buying a new mechanical keyboard. So I have a few questions...

Are there any keyboards that the keys aren't so high up? I think that is part of the reason I didn't like my cm storm and some other mechanical keyboards. Meaning I like the switches recessed a little bit more into the keyboard housing. 

What switch is most similar to rubber dome in bump, but has the very nice mechanical feel? Browns?

Thank you very much

Honestly the Apex sounds like what you want. Try it out before buying if possible.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Honestly the Apex sounds like what you want. Try it out before buying if possible.

Apex M800 or the original apex?

EDIT: Also, I mostly play MOBAs and on the side i play fps. I am worried about hitting the space bar when resting on QWER

Apex M800 or the original apex?

I'd go original if I were you.

Currently roaming the forums in boredom

I like mice and keyboards and the sort

Formerly TheFlurryGames

I want to say M800 but ya know, whatever floats your boat.

Yeah the original RAW version is nice as it is only $50 and it comes with that somewhat built in wrist rest. 

Yeah the original RAW version is nice as it is only $50 and it comes with that somewhat built in wrist rest. 

That might be a better buy. Wristrests on both mousepads and on keyboards are super nice.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I'd go original if I were you.

Have you ever tried the rubber domes?

Have you ever tried the rubber domes?

No, but I don't think the extra $100 is worth it :/

Currently roaming the forums in boredom

I like mice and keyboards and the sort

Formerly TheFlurryGames

That might be a better buy. Wristrests on both mousepads and on keyboards are super nice.

How about topre?

I don't own a mechanical keyboard, but I have been trying a few out as I intend to buy one. I also don't like high profile keys, like on the corsair k70 I think and I found the keys on the razer blackwidow are a little lower. I don't know if that's true but it certainly feel like it for me and I do like the kailh razer green switches or w/e on it, worth a look imo. I also like cherry mx blues.

I've heard that they're like typing on a cloud of boobs. Sound nice? xD

yup .... Lol. According to linus' video they are similar to membranes.