Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 7 or ASUS Sabertooth Mark 2 (no armour)

Go to solution Solved by Silverer,

I also forgot Skylake does not come with stock cooler, I needed that stock cooler because I am so low on budget.

Id probs recommend some sort of AIO water cooler as they are pretty damn toasty after looking at benchmarks, especially when overclocked, so that would be an extra $100

I actually only have $400 right now and hoping to reach $750 by the end of November. That is why I gave up on my Skylake plan and decided to go with the cheaper Z97 with my original post.

Yeah I'd say go for a krait mobo, 4790k, a nice cooler so you can overclock and call it a day then

Hello,

I have been waiting to upgrade from my FX-8350 for 2 years now and I wanted to upgrade by Christmas this year.

This is for gaming and productivity such as rendering, programming, etc.

I was waiting for Skylake but found out that the i7-6700K here in Australia is $530 at PCCG and Umart and that I have to invest more into DDR4 memory. The 5820K is $570 + X99 platform + DDR4 is really expensive. The 4790K is only $490 (and I already have DDR3) which is quite a difference.

So i7 4790K is my best bet right now and I struggle to choose between these two motherboards (they are the same price):

Now the reason why I narrowed it to these two motherboards because these two are the cheapest ALC1150 audio + SLI compatible motherboard out there.

Anything cheaper will only support Crossfire, no SLI. I would've picked MSI Z97S SLI Krait but it only has ALC892 and it isn't that much cheaper, I may as well get the latest audio solution (yes I know on-board audio isn't that good anyway, but I don't want to get a DAC either).

Also will the i7 4790K magically disappear from stores soon? Because the moment the 4790K replaces the 4770K, the 4770K disappeared from Australia stores without warning, forcing people to buy the slightly more expensive newer CPU, I do not want to be forced to buy Skylake, but I am waiting for that price drop.

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Thanks.

EDIT: I only have a budget of $750 Australian dollars for the CPU and motherboard.

EDIT: I will only buy from Umart because they are 5mins from my house so I don't have to pay $20 for shipping fee.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

MSI gaming 3/5 all. 1150 isn't that important

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

-snip-

^ this, or you can consider the Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 5 too. Both are similar and great products.

Haswell wont be off the shelves anytime soon. Its proably going to be the last generation which uses DDR3 memory, therefore you cant just remove it all off the shelves and force people to only choose from either Skylake / X99. Skylake to me is still like an "enthusiast" grade platform as it uses DDR4 which isnt that mainstream yet.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

MSI Gaming 3 does not support SLI unfortunately.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

MSI Gaming 3 does not support SLI unfortunately.

the 5 does (I think) also take a look at the ski krait. And please avoid GB

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

DDR4 memory is only $20 more expensive for dual chan 16gb on PCCG unless you already have what ram you want for z97, didnt sound that way. Processor MIGHT be worth it for the $40 increase but motherboards are stupidly expensive right now, mind you you've decided to get $250 motherboards for z97... 

TLDR this isnt bad... http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=473852&action=wish_lists

EDIT: #youreditsnevermindthis...

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

the 5 does (I think) also take a look at the ski krait. And please avoid GB

Hmm yea the MSI Krait seems to be a more attractive option now, I'll think about it.

What is wrong with Gigabyte though?

Also what is the difference between ALC892 and 1150 anyway? I am currently using ALC892 in an AMD board.

Hmm yea the MSI Krait seems to be a more attractive option now, I'll think about it.

What is wrong with Gigabyte though?

Also what is the difference between ALC892 and 1150 anyway? I am currently using ALC892 in an AMD board.

different chip? And their software and customer support is BAD

DDR4 memory is only $20 more expensive for dual chan 16gb on PCCG unless you already have what ram you want for z97, didnt sound that way. Processor MIGHT be worth it for the $40 increase but motherboards are stupidly expensive right now, mind you you've decided to get $250 motherboards for z97... 

TLDR this isnt bad... http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=473852&action=wish_lists

Thanks but I am already using DDR3 which I will transfer to the new motherboard and i7. I don't really want to buy another stick of RAM :/

Z170 motherboards are actually not that expensive, for the same price as the two motherboards in the original post you can get the Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI which supports SLI too!

So I am completely fine with Z170 pricing but the $40 increase in CPU price and that I need to buy atleast a 4GB DDR4 stick which starts at $60 is a bit too much.

EDIT: Oh I forgot to check your link

My budget is only $750 :(

But let me see if I can get more money in.

Thanks but I am already using DDR3 which I will transfer to the new motherboard and i7. I don't really want to buy another stick of RAM :/

Z170 motherboards are actually not that expensive, for the same price as the two motherboards in the original post you can get the Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI which supports SLI too!

So I am completely fine with Z170 pricing but the $40 increase in CPU price and that I need to buy atleast a 4GB DDR4 stick which starts at $60 is a bit too much.

They have no low range motherboards right now is what I meant by expensive... You can pick up a z97 motherboard for ~$80 nowadays.. .they start at $200 on z170 right now

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

They have no low range motherboards right now is what I meant by expensive... You can pick up a z97 motherboard for ~$80 nowadays.. .they start at $200 on z170 right now

Do you think the Z170 SLI boards will get cheaper once more motherboard comes out?

Because I can't imagine them releasing a cheaper Z170 SLI-compatible board for less than $250 since Z97 SLI boards are still $200-250 to this day.

Do you think the Z170 SLI boards will get cheaper once more motherboard comes out?

Because I can't imagine them releasing a cheaper Z170 SLI-compatible board for less than $250 since Z97 SLI boards are still $200-250 to this day.

They might drop $50-100... the platforms literally like 3 days old, hell the mobo I want is $550 right now, I'm not spending that much xD If you can hold off like a month or two they should stabilize, I imagine theres a premium for demand..

They might drop $50-100... the platforms literally like 3 days old, hell the mobo I want is $550 right now, I'm not spending that much xD If you can hold off like a month or two they should stabilize, I imagine theres a premium for demand..

Yes I'll wait near Christmas, hopefully price will drop. Even $50 would be sweet!

I will only try to get 4GB DDR4 for now....I know it sounds foolish but what I really need is a strong IPC CPU for my University projects EARLY NEXT YEAR (I got a FX-8350 atm).

If I can't afford Skylake then I can not afford to wait until half-way of 2016 so I will just go back to my original plan of i7 4790K + 8GB DDR3 that I already have in my current PC.

Yes I'll wait near Christmas, hopefully price will drop. Even $50 would be sweet!

I will only try to get 4GB DDR4 for now....I know it sounds foolish but what I really need is a strong IPC CPU for my University projects EARLY NEXT YEAR (I got a FX-8350 atm).

If I can't afford Skylake I can not wait until half-way of 2016 so I will just go back to my original plan of i7 4790K + 8GB DDR3 that I already have in my current PC.

You should be able to save up an extra $250 by then, if not you can always ask for the ram or something for a christmas present... Also uni loans work well

I also forgot Skylake does not come with stock cooler, I needed that stock cooler because I am so low on budget.

You should be able to save up an extra $250 by then, if not you can always ask for the ram or something for a christmas present... Also uni loans work well

I actually only have $400 right now and hoping to reach $750 by the end of November. That is why I gave up on my Skylake plan and decided to go with the cheaper Z97 with my original post.

Id probs recommend some sort of AIO water cooler as they are pretty damn toasty after looking at benchmarks, especially when overclocked, so that would be an extra $100

Yeah I'd say go for a krait mobo, 4790k, a nice cooler so you can overclock and call it a day then