I need help overclocking...

Go to solution Solved by shypin,

the temps on prime 95 are about 50c until a few tests are complete.... then it bumps up to 80 then 90 and i stopped it when it go to 90.

then you should probably reduce the voltage

you shouldnt let the temperature go above 80c under load

also dont use prime95 to stress test, it can actually harm your cpu, instead use something like aida64

I am overclocking my 4790k. I have it cooled by a h100i gtx.

I have cranked it up to about 4.6 ghz and then it doesnt really move from there....

I have put the voltage up to 1.295volts max

i am using an msi z97-g45 gaming

4.6ghz is where it crashes everytime

thanks

| Ryzen 9 3950X | EVGA 1200P2 | AMD 5700XT | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi | G. Skill 4x16GB 3600Mhz CL16 F4-3600C16D-32GTZN | 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro | Lian Li O11 Dynamic |

-SNIP-

Overclocking is chip dependent on how much it can overclock but voltage and clock speed increases at an exponential rate so the higher the clock rates the higher or more voltage is needed for each bump. What are your temps and if it failing if you drop the voltage.

i think 1.35v is pretty safe for the cpu

although 4.6 should be high enough

the chips limit is like around 4.7ghz for most of them

Overclocking is chip dependent on how much it can overclock but voltage and clock speed increases at an exponential rte so the higher the clock rates the higher or more voltage is needed for each bump. What are your temps and if it failing if you drop the voltage.

the temps on prime 95 are about 50c until a few tests are complete.... then it bumps up to 80 then 90 and i stopped it when it go to 90.

| Ryzen 9 3950X | EVGA 1200P2 | AMD 5700XT | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi | G. Skill 4x16GB 3600Mhz CL16 F4-3600C16D-32GTZN | 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro | Lian Li O11 Dynamic |

also dont use prime95 to stress test, it can actually harm your cpu, instead use something like aida64

ok i was starting to wonder about that. thanks

As said use Adia 64 that's your current limit so see if Adia64 should gives more reasonable temps and let you go some more.

As said use Adia 64 that's your current limit so see if Adia64 should gives more reasonable temps and let you go some more.

i downloaded aida64 and am now running at about 60-70c on the stability test built in it with 1.28v