What to get for $170?

Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

Whoah! Thanks for the info - direct from WD!

Hope this comes in handy :) Feel free to ask if you happen to have any questions.

My old Linksys NAS basically exploded last night and I inhaled a lot of smoke. I am supposed to get a call from them sometime within 24 hours. I lost $170 worth of drives (2TB but they were expensive at the time). I am in a position where I can make them send me basically whatever I want so that I don't sue them. What should I request (storage wise) from them? Two 3TB Hybrid drives from Seagate? I'll probably get them to send me their new NAS to replace my old one. I don't know if I want two of those or one 5TB drive. I think that one 5TB is more reliable than two (not in RAID) 3TB drives. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Don't get 3TB drives... they tend to have high failure rates...

Could go ahead and sue em, then you can get fat cash for another titan x or more than just a 2nd, more monitors, more ram, etc.. lol

If possible go with WD Red drives instead, though if they will only give you seagate hdds then maybe a couple 2 or 4tb drives.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Hi, I'm Matt from Linksys North America. I looked into your claim and it is now void. We will be sending you a $10 gift certificate for Applebees as our deepest apologies.

Matt

mattr@Linksys.com

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Hi, I'm Matt from Linksys North America. I looked into your claim and it is now void. We will be sending you a $10 gift certificate for Applebees as our deepest apologies.

Matt

mattr@Linksys.com

xD

If you can raid 1 the two 3tb drives they will be more secure than one 5tb drive though it might run slower

EDIT:

saw @TheKDub's post and if the seagate's have high failure rates then yeah go with 2 western digital nas drives, 2 in raid 1 would almost certainly be more secure than one large drive if security is what you are looking for

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

Displays 2 old 1080p Acer and Samsung ones Cooling Corsair H60

† TTCF Member †

Don't get 3TB drives... they tend to have high failure rates...

Could go ahead and sue em, then you can get fat cash for another titan x or more than just a 2nd, more monitors, more ram, etc.. lol

If possible go with WD Red drives instead, though if they will only give you seagate hdds then maybe a couple 2 or 4tb drives.

I will look into WD Red. I can also see if I can get a check for the total value.

Here's what I am going to request from them:

-Linksys  WRT NAS

-$170 check or that value in drives

-$150 for inhaling smoke and having an asthma attack 

If you can raid 1 the two 3tb drives they will be more secure than one 5tb drive though it might run slower

EDIT:

saw @TheKDub's post and if the seagate's have high failure rates then yeah go with 2 western digital nas drives, 2 in raid 1 would almost certainly be more secure than one large drive if security is what you are looking for

Thanks. I will use your suggestions and research a little bit.

~snip~

Hey there,

Having a single drive in a NAS theoretically means that you have less parts that can malfunction. On the other side it means that if something happens with the drive or the NAS, you have no redundancy and you will lose everything. I would suggest to consider a RAID option with redundancy just so you have your data safe and have an additional backup solution that is not attached to your NAS for cases like the one that you has. I would try to use NAS/RAID-class drives for this purpose as these drives are equipped with special features that make them more reliable and problem-free in NAS/RAID work environments. Such drive is WD Red - pretty quiet, cool and reliable: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=n6ikJ1

As a whole NAS I could suggest checking out WD My Cloud that works pretty good for simple network storage access and may be within your budget: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=2tBJlE

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there,

Having a single drive in a NAS theoretically means that you have less parts that can malfunction. On the other side it means that if something happens with the drive or the NAS, you have no redundancy and you will lose everything. I would suggest to consider a RAID option with redundancy just so you have your data safe and have an additional backup solution that is not attached to your NAS for cases like the one that you has. I would try to use NAS/RAID-class drives for this purpose as these drives are equipped with special features that make them more reliable and problem-free in NAS/RAID work environments. Such drive is WD Red - pretty quiet, cool and reliable: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=n6ikJ1

As a whole NAS I could suggest checking out WD My Cloud that works pretty good for simple network storage access and may be within your budget: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=2tBJlE

Captain_WD.

Hope this comes in handy :) Feel free to ask if you happen to have any questions.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/