Software(s) to access computer from college

xIHexIx
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

I can type in my password to my locked W7 computer through teamviewer... and it auto locks again when the teamviewer session ends.

I'm leaving for college in about 2 weeks, and my desktop will be staying at home. The dorms are small and the doors are thin, and the locks installed seem very easy to bust, so expensive stuff I can't keep near me won't be traveling with me. On that note, I'd still like to be able to access my desktop from afar if needed and I'd like to know what I can use for it. My computer runs F@H that I would like to keep running but monitor, has all my music folders that sync to google play, and has my movies and dropbox account.

I have Wake-On-Lan enabled, and I have Teamviewer. Wake-On-Lan seems to work fine, I've got a program on my phone that turns it on and it works fine, but I've yet to try it from a distance. Teamviewer works well for controlling my computer and accessing the stuff I need to access. But the issue I'm having is I want to keep my computer password protected. Wake-On-Lan will turn it on if it turns off for whatever reason, and Teamviewer will control it, but neither will get past the password lock screen. Does anybody know a way I can deal with the password, or a better way I can do this all together?

Asus X550CA-DB51: 15.6" @ 1366x768, i5-3337U @1.8, 8gb RAM, Intel 4000 Graphics, 750gb HDD

I say check how much insurance you have on your college room. If it covers your stuff take it and just back up any important stuff to somewhere secure. 

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Windows has tools integrated that work well for what it actually is. I've used Remote Administrative Tools to access my PC from any Windows based computer. You can give that a try .. if you haven't already because there are only so many options available.

Probably should have gave a few more details: I have a laptop I'm taking with me, taking my whole desktop isn't an option. Desktop is Win 7 - 64bit, laptop is Win 8 - 64bit.

I can type in my password to my locked W7 computer through teamviewer... and it auto locks again when the teamviewer session ends.

I'll have a look through Teamviewer options. I've tried using TV to login and it won't pop up until the desktop loads, so maybe there's a setting to make it load with Windows.

I say check how much insurance you have on your college room. If it covers your stuff take it and just back up any important stuff to somewhere secure. 

I'm not entirely sure on the insurance, but the rooms are tiny anyway, and I want to conserve the space. Rooms are literally prison room size for Freshmen and Sophomores. Plus I already have my laptop I'm taking, forgot to mention that in first post. I don't plan on gaming while there, so no real need for taking my desktop.

Windows has tools integrated that work well for what it actually is. I've used Remote Administrative Tools to access my PC from any Windows based computer. You can give that a try .. if you haven't already because there are only so many options available.

I will give this a try as well to see what I can do with it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Asus X550CA-DB51: 15.6" @ 1366x768, i5-3337U @1.8, 8gb RAM, Intel 4000 Graphics, 750gb HDD

Hmm, the difference is probably I am just talking about locked computer.  When you do cold boot, it doesn't load programs until logged in, including teamviewer, but when locked they are running in the background... Humm...

Just tried with Teamviewer and it is possible. Open Teamviewer, Go to Extras > Options, then on the Security Tab, near the bottom change Windows Logon to something other than Not Allowed, and it will boot up along with Windows enabling you to login with Teamviewer from a cold boot. It also activates a "Switch User" functionality which locks the desktop down again without logging you out when you close the session.

But my phone's Wake-On-Lan app is giving me issues, like not booting my PC now, so I do need to find a way of consistently booting it from away.

Just tried with Teamviewer and it is possible. Open Teamviewer, Go to Extras > Options, then on the Security Tab, near the bottom change Windows Logon to something other than Not Allowed, and it will boot up along with Windows enabling you to login with Teamviewer from a cold boot. It also activates a "Switch User" functionality which locks the desktop down again without logging you out when you close the session.

But my phone's Wake-On-Lan app is giving me issues, like not booting my PC now, so I do need to find a way of consistently booting it from away.

Excellent :D Thanks for the info

And I fixed my WOL issue as well. I updated my BIOs about a week ago and it reverted it to defaults, so WOL was turned off in that process. Turned it back on and my app works without issue once again. I used my phone over 4G with my desktop on LAN, so I assume that this should work no matter where I'm at since I'm technically not on the same network even right here beside my computer.

So Glenwing, thank you a lot for your Teamviewer help, I never would have thought to search the options for that in TV, I just assumed it wasn't possible. Should I notice anything not working properly later on, I'll come back here. :D

<p>I would also setup Windows Remote Desktop (Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, Vista Business or Ultimate, or Windows 8 Pro needed on your home computer), as a backup plan in the case team viewer fails on you. All you have to do is turn it on on the System panel, and configure your router to have port on TCP 3389 open and redirected to your home computer.</p>

<p>Assuming your internet is always on, and you have cable, your IP address should not change. At worst, phone home and ask someone to do a  Google search for "what is my IP"</p>

<p><a href="https://www.google.ca/search?q=what+is+my+ip&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr">https://www.google.ca/search?q=what+is+my+ip&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr</a></p>

<p>And take the number on the page.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It's good to have a plan B.</p>

Teamviewer as a service, create an account also. 

I always access my PC in Philippines using teamviewer, I'm in Japan. I just ask my mother to power it On. I plan to switch to TigerVNC, it needs port forwarding and dynamic dns.

Pardon my English. Not my native language.

Intel Celeron G1820 Haswell | ASRock B85M-ITX | Transcend 1GB DDR3-1333 | HEC Cougar SL 500W 80+ | Lian Li PC-Q03B ITX | SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 16GB | OpenElec-XBMC