Annual CPU release from Intel

Jz1

When you think about it, pretty much after Sandy Bridge release, there hasn't been any decent performance increases within the new CPU generations from Intel.

So far, it just looks like every year Intel releases something that will be 2% faster than its predecessor but will cost $200 more.

When will the next big upgrade happen, that will make me upgrade my 2500k?

Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G304 White Anne Pro 2 LG27UL500

Ryzen 5 3600 + MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC in Fractal Design Nano S

Skylike has just released, and we're seeing 10-20% better performance depending on the workload.

When in doubt: C4

hasn't been any decent performance increases? There have been huge performance increases in the iGPU sector since sandy bridge, the improvements are giant. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Skylike has just released, and we're seeing 10-20% better performance depending on the workload.

I expected the i7 6700k to be in the $600 range or higher. It's actually a lot better than I thought with price.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

10-20%? You mean 5% right?

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

When AMD start doing s**t, hopefully Zen will have an impact.

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

x5675 released in 2011, 5820k released in 2014. In cinebench both are pretty much the same. Xeon can even OC more. The price is 3 times less for xeon, not too mention I can have 2 of them in one system. There is literally no logical need to upgrade. it's a shame the there is no big difference in performance...

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

Didn't IBM make some chips with 7nm processing? I would love to see if IBM takes a shot at Intel's high-end market. 

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

I expected the i7 6700k to be in the $600 range or higher. It's actually a lot better than I thought with price.

The 6700k cost the same as a 4790k at least in Europe.

Didn't IBM make some chips with 7nm processing? I would love to see if IBM takes a shot at Intel's high-end market. 

Except that would be very expensive.

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

hasn't been any decent performance increases? There have been huge performance increases in the iGPU sector since sandy bridge, the improvements are giant. 

Lets be honest here, not saying that the iGPU's are useless, but like no one really cares about them.

Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G304 White Anne Pro 2 LG27UL500

Ryzen 5 3600 + MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC in Fractal Design Nano S

Once Zen is released

Intel will start stepping up they're game probably make a i7 have a 6-core 6***k consumer grade chip not enthusiast or X99 or anything like that LGA1151 or somethin, 6820k and maybe a 6930k 8 core chips please?, 10 core 6960x anyone?

Remember Zen, the 16 core 32 threads; Intel's going to have to make a big move to keep up with them in the core game, especially if the chips are extremely efficient.

IBM won't do that. IBM isn't in the consumer business, mainly professional, Part if the reason is CPU architecture, Remember when PowerPC was still a thing, and you couldn't run steam because it wasn't an intel or AMD based platform? Well that same issue will arise if IBM enters the market.

Why? The i7-6700K is a direct replacement to the i7-4790K/4770K, which was a direct replacement to the i7-3770K, which was a direct replacement to the i7-2700K (which was a sort of indirect replacement for the i7-920 or whatever). Pricing has been pretty consistently in the mid-$300's every time. $400+ is reserved for Intel's ultra high-end platforms, for which there is still no Skylake replacement.

When will the next big upgrade happen, that will make me upgrade my 2500k?

If your measure of a "big upgrade" is a single generational improvement with across-the-board double digit increases, you'll be waiting a long time. Four years of 5–8% improvements per year have added up to Skylake at least 25–30% faster, consistently, than a Sandy Bridge equivalent. Skylake is unexciting to people who already own Haswell—which we all should have expected—but for people with Nehalem/Sandy Bridge platforms it's probably a good time to upgrade.

Check out the conclusions here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/23

The 6700k cost the same as a 4790k at least in Europe.

I can see that.

Why? The i7-6700K is a direct replacement to the i7-4790K/4770K, which was a direct replacement to the i7-3770K, which was a direct replacement to the i7-2700K (which was a sort of indirect replacement for the i7-920 or whatever). Pricing has been pretty consistently in the mid-$300's every time. $400+ is reserved for Intel's ultra high-end platforms, for which there is still no Skylake replacement.

I just thought because it is skylake it must be expensive. I know I'm an idiot.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

I just thought because it is skylake it must be expensive. I know I'm an idiot.

Oh geez, now I feel bad. Sorry.  :)

5820k is actually a huge upgrade although kinda overlooked as it's on the X99 platform. 

Around where I live Microcenter sells the 5820k for only 20 dollars more than the 4790k. entry level X99 mobos cost about the same as the high-end Z97 mobos.

So for roughly 20-120 over Z97 you can get 50% extra performance. 

5820k is actually a huge upgrade although kinda overlooked as it's on the X99 platform.

Around where I live Microcenter sells the 5820k for only 20 dollars more than the 4790k. entry level X99 mobos cost about the same as the high-end Z97 mobos.

So for roughly 20-120 over Z97 you can get 50% extra performance.

Nicely said IDK why it's so under sold but oh well.... Just because it's new it must be better

Seen so many people saying that they will upgrade yet they know nothing of computers...