How to copy files to new drive

Noel_Noel

Hi, I just bought a 1tb hard drive to replace my old 320GB one. I am just wondering how do I copy all the things on my old drive to the new one. Because there are steam games and other programs I don't think that I can just copy and paste it. But I could be wrong

Does anyone know how I copy EVERYTHING from my old drive to the new one?

Note: Windows is installed on another drive if that makes a difference.

in that case it is as easy as copy and paste and ensure the new drive gets the same drive number as the old one

How do I do that?

How do I do that?

connect both drives at once. ensure the new hard drive has been innitialized. then simply select all your contents and copy them over to the new drive. then shut down your computer. remove the old one and boot it up. once booted up ensure the new drive has the same drive letter as the old one. if it doesnt youll need to go into the disk management utility in windows to reassign a letter to it

connect both drives at once. ensure the new hard drive has been innitialized. then simply select all your contents and copy them over to the new drive. then shut down your computer. remove the old one and boot it up. once booted up ensure the new drive has the same drive letter as the old one. if it doesnt youll need to go into the disk management utility in windows to reassign a letter to it

Ok thanks so much for the help

let me know if you have issues and ill help out as best I can!

Sorry to bother you, on the drive that I'm replacing there's a partition for a recovery E drive. Do you know what I need to do with that?

Nothing. Basically when you did a major update or something of the sort the OS created a recovery partition. Kinda useless on a non-primary drive.