Building a PC, 128GB SSD or 1TB HDD, which one should be bought first

Ivan747

That is pretty much the question: I am building a PC and I need to know what's going to be wiser: getting a 128GB SSD now or a 1TB HDD now. I WILL get both eventually (probably by January). I will be installing Windows 10 or Ubuntu and the build is intended for engineering and gaming, specially GTA V. Right now I have a 128GB SSD on my Ultrabook and that's been my primary storage for about a year, so I can live on 128GB (just barely, though). I have a 1TB USB hard drive as well, where I put the bulk of my data.

What do you think is going to be more practical, as a storage medium for 6 months? I find this to be the sort of question where all opinions are good, so you're welcome to say whatever you please, except for telling me to get both at the same time (it's my personal finances here :) and this rule sure will give us interesting answers).

since you have that usb drive

get ssd first

With a 1tb storage drive being as cheap as $40 you can get it like a month later. Which i think is worth.

SSD first or you will have to reinstall your OS later or you have a slow OS.

I'd say the ssd if you use the usb drive for your storage. It makes it less of a hassle to just put the OS on an ssd first rather than transfer it later, assuming thats what you're doing. Games would be a problem if you play big games like GTA V but it's less hassle later on.

SSD best decision I have made pc related (other then the 970 lol) 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

That is pretty much the question: I am building a PC and I need to know what's going to be wiser: getting a 128GB SSD now or a 1TB HDD now. I WILL get both eventually (probably by January). I will be installing Windows 10 or Ubuntu and the build is intended for engineering and gaming, specially GTA V. Right now I have a 128GB SSD on my Ultrabook and that's been my primary storage for about a year, so I can live on 128GB (just barely, though). I have a 1TB USB hard drive as well, where I put the bulk of my data.

What do you think is going to be more practical, as a storage medium for 6 months? I find this to be the sort of question where all opinions are good, so you're welcome to say whatever you please, except for telling me to get both at the same time (it's my personal finances here :) and this rule sure will give us interesting answers).

Hey there Ivan747,

It really depends on if you need the larger capacity now or you can wait until you get the HDD. If you get the HDD first and install the OS on it, I would recommend that later on you do a fresh instal rather than clone the drive since you will be avoiding many potential problems and compatibility issues. If the space of the SSD is enough for now - simply go with the SSD first, install the OS and later on simply add the HDD. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

With a 1tb storage drive being as cheap as $40 you can get it like a month later. Which i think is worth.

Lol no, I'll get other things the month later.  ;)

Everyone seems to agree on SSD. That's alright  ^_^ SSDs are quite nice and do improve day to day usage. I would say they are also more energy efficient but when you have a 60W processor, 100W+ graphics and an 80% efficient 500W power supply, that efficiency sort of gets drowned in the noise.

SSD, it's much easier to put your OS on an SSD first than have to transfer it over or reinstall. Get the SSD install Windows and important programs than get the 1tb drive and install all the programs you rarely use but may still need.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!