R9 290+H100 or new 970/390/X?

Linnar8895

Hey all! I am thinking of buying a new graphics card, and i have got an offer for a Sapphire (reference) R9 290 equipped with a HG 10 bracket and a H100 cooler for 2600SEK ($300). How does that compare to buying a new 970, 390 or 390X (All goes for around 3500SEK/$400) What would you choose, and why? I would have to save up a bit more if i go with the latter option. Opinions? Would also like to know how a watercooled 290 performs if anyone has one. Thanks!

I would just a 390 or 390X, theyre good enough on with a good cooler from MSI or Sapphire or some other manufac.

And if you want a 970, those are power efficient and run cool to begin with

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

If you're at 1080p, i'd say the GTX 970,  or an R9 390.

Both are close price/performance wise. But one only has 3.5GB ram. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

If you're at 1080p, i'd say the GTX 970,  or an R9 390.

Both are close price/performance wise. But one only has 3.5GB ram. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Forgot to add that i'm running at 1440p, which makes me worry about the 970s VRAM compared to the 390/X 8GB.

Forgot to add that i'm running at 1440p, which makes me worry about the 970s VRAM compared to the 390/X 8GB.

Get an R9 390x if you can afford it. Or whichever 8GB model you can get.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I had a Gigabyte GTX-760 2GB OC and upgraded to Sapphire R9 390X 8GB

Now, with all do respect to that jump, I sooo want my GTX-760 stability back.

I recommend not to buy any 300 series as for now, either wait or get 970.

Some facts I got to know of ,as soon as i got my AMD card (never opened a ticket or a thread in a forum regarding my nvidia card):

1) AMD Drivers are awful

2) Gaming evolved raptr app is awful

3) Stability and driver crashes is very irritating

4) ZERO comments to my issue in AMD forums.

5) ZERO comments to my issue in Sapphire forums

6) AMD support didn't respond to my ticket ever since I've contacted them to help me with windows 10 drivers.

7) Sapphire suggested a windows reinstall, I did, didn't help

8) I sooooooooooo want my nvidia back

CPU: i7-4790k || Mobo: MSI Gaming 5 Z97|| Ram: GSkill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X r9 390x || Case: CoolerMaster cm storm scout 2 || Storage: samsung evo 850 500GB , WD Black 3TB , WD Green 2TB , WD 1TB external (backups/Media) , Seagate 1TB external (Backups) || PSU: Seasonic X-Series 750W 80+ GOLD || Displays: Samsung C24FG70 , Dell U2414H || Keyboard: Logitech G810 || Mouse: Logitech G502 proteus spectrum || Headset: Logitech G633

Some facts I got to know of ,as soon as i got my AMD card (never opened a ticket or a thread in a forum regarding my nvidia card):

1) AMD Drivers are awful

6) AMD support didn't respond to my ticket ever since I've contacted them to help me with windows 10 drivers.

You posted this in other threads, and multiple people have proven you wrong on many if your points. I'll also help.

Gaming evolved is fine, but if you think it's awful, then you should also find geforce experience awful.

Been using AMD for quite a while, no issues with driver issues. No game crashes(I'm on 8.1, you know W10 is part of the problem)

8) Isn't even a point.

You posted this in other threads, and multiple people have proven you wrong on many if your points. I'll also help.

Gaming evolved is fine, but if you think it's awful, then you should also find geforce experience awful.

Been using AMD for quite a while, no issues with driver issues. No game crashes(I'm on 8.1, you know W10 is part of the problem)

8) Isn't even a point.

This man speaks wisdom! as I too have never once had an issue

1) AMD Drivers are awful

and this....ugh I hate responding to these

YOU UPGRADED TO A BRAND NEW OPERATING SYSTEM THAT LITERALLY HASN'T EVEN HAD SERVICE PACK 1 RELEASED.  you will run into issues.  every new product has issues and im really sick of people going "IIIIIII UPGRADEDDDD AND ITS NOT PERFFEECTTTTT YETTTTT".  Yeah no surprise.  Nvidia is having problems too bud

• CPU: Fx-8350 || Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 || Ram: GSkill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X OC r9 290 || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro || Storage: Seagate 1TB (Main Storage), Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB external (backups/Media) || PSU: Raidmax 730 Watt || Displays: 2x 2x Acer 21.5" S220HQL || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate || Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T. 7

•  

1) AMD Drivers are awful

You know, I am with the guy above me, don't know how respond to those facts... 

I have AMD (R9 290 Sapphire OC) in my main system, Nvidia in my older system that I have passed down to my brother (GTX770). 

Neither Catalyst nor Geforce are my favorite, personally do not use any of the features, but both work flawlessly on those systems with windows 10 installed. I did hit a snag with my R9 290 in windows 10 after upgrade, GPU driver was hanging unexpectedly while loading some sites, nothing major. Did a clean windows 10 install after the upgrade, and no issues since... 

Also, Windows 10 is fairly new, so expect crashes regardless what you run...