Hi, I recently got an Intel G3258 and the z97 Pc Mate from MSI and I want to overclock it. 
I made a custom water cooling loop and the temps are great, BUT I can't set the voltage to more than 1.299v, I can't find anywhere to enable voltages higher than the "safe zone"

Right now I can only hit 4.2 GHz with the voltage set at 1.290... I was unlucky with the CPU I guess.  

I have the MSI bios version E7850IMS V4.9

Anyone got any ideas how to go past 1.3v? or something that might make the overclock better with lower voltages?

BTW, What is ring ratio?

Hi, I recently got an Intel G3258 and the z97 Pc Mate from MSI and I want to overclock it. 

I made a custom water cooling loop and the temps are great, BUT I can't set the voltage to more than 1.299v, I can't find anywhere to enable voltages higher than the "safe zone"

Right now I can only hit 4.2 GHz with the voltage set at 1.290... I was unlucky with the CPU I guess.  

I have the MSI bios version E7850IMS V4.9

Anyone got any ideas how to go past 1.3v? or something that might make the overclock better with lower voltages?

BTW, What is ring ratio?

Hey, sorry for off-topic but I'm planning to buy that motherboard too. MSI Z97 PC Mate. Have you had any problems with it so far? (aside from overclocking) Is it good? Worth buying?

"Busta..., straight busta!" - Ryder Wilson

Hey, sorry for off-topic but I'm planning to buy that motherboard too. MSI Z97 PC Mate. Have you had any problems with it so far? (aside from overclocking) Is it good? Worth buying?

It's great, I've not had a single problem with it besides the 1.3v lock. I think it's worth buying.

BTW, What is ring ratio?

Have you changed the Simple/Advanced Mode to Advanced? VCCIN to 1.85-1.875v may help with stability at the higher end.

Ring ratio is the CPU cache ratio.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Have you changed the Simple/Advanced Mode to Advanced? VCCIN to 1.85-1.875v may help with stability at the higher end.

I've just found out that I derped out.

It can go well beyond 1.3 but the text turned red as a warning (I didn't think it was able to save the settings, because it was red)

But I will definitely keep tge VCCIN in mind if it crashes during stress testing :) Thanks! 

*Edit* btw thanks for the clearence with ring ratio :D

I've just found out that I derped out.

It can go well beyond 1.3 but the text turned red as a warning (I didn't think it was able to save the settings, because it was red)

But I will definitely keep tge VCCIN in mind if it crashes during stress testing :) Thanks! 

lol figured that might be the case, but I haven't used an MSI board on anything other than an AMD platform, and that was a while ago ^_^ Most boards have a voltage lockout ~1.5-1.6v for Z97, but you can just turn voltage monitoring off....not that you should...but it's there :ph34r: 

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Btw, is there more stuff I should disable/enable or do when overclocking to make it stable?

I have a hard time getting it past 4.3 GHz because of BSOD. 

*EDIT* I tried to make VCCIN Auto and now it succesfully got to 4.4 GHz at 1.375v - max temp 73 on core#0 and package

lol figured that might be the case, but I haven't used an MSI board on anything other than an AMD platform, and that was a while ago  ^_^ Most boards have a voltage lockout ~1.5-1.6v for Z97, but you can just turn voltage monitoring off....not that you should...but it's there  :ph34r:

Yeah I was being dumb. I made a huge facepalm when I found out :P 

The z97 can go as high as 2.1v :o 

should I also overclock the ring ratio?

*EDIT* I tried to make VCCIN Auto and now it succesfully got to 4.4 GHz at 1.375v - max temp 73 on core#0 and package

Be careful when using auto settings and synthetic benchmarks. You have no real indication of where voltages will end up, and many synth tests can pop it to extreme voltages. Where did auto set the VCCIN to during load? As long as that value isn't over ~1.925v you're still in the "safe" zone.

should I also overclock the ring ratio?

I do for all my chips. It's a point of contention for most people as cache will also throw out a stable core OC with the same BSOD's, making a non-stable OC harder to diagnose. The general rule of thumb is- lock it in near stock multi and voltage, then OC your core, once you have a 24/7 stable core clock you can go back and OC the cache. Basically doubles your time to completion since you're effectively OCing twice, and cache won't provide any tangible benefit for gaming (other uses it will, depending on the size of the chip's cache). For the G3258 I would not put it on my top list of priorities.

Be careful when using auto settings and synthetic benchmarks. You have no real indication of where voltages will end up, and many synth tests can pop it to extreme voltages. Where did auto set the VCCIN to during load? As long as that value isn't over ~1.925v you're still in the "safe" zone.

I do for all my chips. It's a point of contention for most people as cache will also throw out a stable core OC with the same BSOD's, making a non-stable OC harder to diagnose. The general rule of thumb is- lock it in near stock multi and voltage, then OC your core, once you have a 24/7 stable core clock you can go back and OC the cache. Basically doubles your time to completion since you're effectively OCing twice, and cache won't provide any tangible benefit for gaming (other uses it will, depending on the size of the chip's cache). For the G3258 I would not put it on my top list of priorities.

Okay, I will try to set the VCCIN Voltage at 1.9 and do some stress testing and if it's succesfull lower it.

Right now my OC is 4.4GHz and 1.39v, it crashes after 8 minutes of stress testing.  I also tried at 1.375v and it crashed after 5 min.

I will wait with the Cache OC then :)

Okay, I will try to set the VCCIN Voltage at 1.9 and do some stress testing and if it's succesfull lower it.

Right now my OC is 4.4GHz and 1.39v, it crashes after 8 minutes of stress testing.  I also tried at 1.375v and it crashed after 5 min.

I will wait with the Cache OC then :)

It crashed again, I will try to set the voltage to 1.4 and see what happens

It crashed again, I will try to set the voltage to 1.4 and see what happens

Sounds like you didn't get a winner with that chip. Not much else you can do besides burn it to the ground. At least they're cheap :)