RE: PC Build in a Fridge - Does it Work?

What if you only put the Rad and fans instead of the whole PC in the fridge?

lCtnr9S.png

As discussed in an earlier thread, this would indeed work better.

I didnt see thread can u link it

As discussed in an earlier thread, this would indeed work better.

Better, but the fridge would still have to deal with the heat all the time, which it still isn't made for.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

Would still have the same problem of the fridge not being able to keep up. Still the same amount of heat being dissipated, relocating it won't do anything.

yes it would work "better" but there is no way a mini fridge can out cool a high end PC, temps will inevitably climb.

lCtnr9S.png

That'd result in roughly the same thing, or at least I think it would.

All the heat from the CPU would be dumped into the mini-fridge causing the internal temp to rise, making the compressor and such work harder to cool it down, meaning shorter lifespan for the fridge and more noise and power used.

IMO it'd be better to just air condition the area with the PCs in them to keep it cool lol.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Yes, I suppose, but there has to be some way to modify the fridge so that it would be more effective in this regard.

I bet there are industrial grade fridges made for exactly that purpose. 

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

Use a window mounted AC unit and have blow straight over the radiator.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

I will still think those fancy phase change cooling system for CPU works better than cooling the whole PC using a home fridge

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Wow, where can I buy that?

look at commercial restaurant grade refrigerators. some are designed to move WAY more heat, because of almost constant open and use for restaurants. let alone a mini fridge which is horribly inefficient, let alone a normal fridge thats normally opened a handful times over the day. 

what if i get a really long tube and put the other end at the south pole

:D

Mini fridge is able to cool ~100 btu/hr or about 30 watts . If your computer's TDP is <30 watts, yes. Else, no.

Edit: Here's a full explanation because... why not.

You can tell a refrigerator's cooling capacity by finding how many BTUs it's rated for. You'll typically hear about BTUs regarding how powerful a BBQ is. In that instance it's how many BTU's (British Thermal Units) of heat it's able to introduce. With a refrigerator the BTUs are used to measure it's ability to remove heat. BTUs are rarely listed on the fridge's specs because it's largely irrelevant (once it's cold it just stays cold for the most part so additional BTUs are not important). A mini fridge's cooling capacity is around 100 BTU per hour, maybe 150 if it's a nice unit. Multiply this figure by 0.3 to get the wattage. For 100-150 that's 30-45 watts. Now what's the TDP of the components you're trying to cool? If it's 30-45 watts then you're breaking even at best with the refrigerator compressor running 24/7. I'm guessing you want to actually USE your system so the TDP of the processor alone will be 70-200 watts. At that point the refrigerator becomes an oven. So maybe, MAYBE, a full-size double-door refrigerator/freezer could cool a CPU alone but at that point you're using a whole. freaking. refrigerator. to cool a PC. It might work and you're out several hundred dollars at best. Or you could use that money to upgrade your system and buy a whole-system water cooler and get better results. Or get a purpose-built phase change cooler/case per Linus's review.

Not to mention that, if your system is being cooled sub-ambient (as per your drawing in the original post) you'll get condensation so you'll have to insulate your socket and surrounding components.