Is it possible to clean install Windows 10 Technical Preview?

Sorry to add on to the Windows 10 threads, but I figured I'd ask since Google isn't being particularly helpful.

I've been using Windows 10 through Technical Preview for months. When W10 released, my System Properties page (right click "This PC" > "Properties") states that I have Windows 10 Pro when it used to say I had Windows Technical Preview.

Using Speccy, it states I have Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I didn't realize I'd just get an upgrade that wasn't called TP.

Anyway, I'd like to clean install as I've had it for a while and I'm sure my system could use it, but I don't exactly have a normal Product Key.

According to Speccy, I do have one. It looks fairly normal, but I imagine trying to clean install Windows 10 then using it won't work, which is what I'm curious about.

Anybody know of anyone who has done this and it worked? I wouldn't want to try it, fail, and then have to find another OS or buy one to get Windows 10 again. And I'm not sure if I can get it again through Technical Preview since it's already released.

Any help is appreciated.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Sorry to add on to the Windows 10 threads, but I figured I'd ask since Google isn't being particularly helpful.

I've been using Windows 10 through Technical Preview for months. When W10 released, my System Properties page (right click "This PC" > "Properties") states that I have Windows 10 Pro when it used to say I had Windows Technical Preview.

Using Speccy, it states I have Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I didn't realize I'd just get an upgrade that wasn't called TP.

Anyway, I'd like to clean install as I've had it for a while and I'm sure my system could use it, but I don't exactly have a normal Product Key.

According to Speccy, I do have one. It looks fairly normal, but I imagine trying to clean install Windows 10 then using it won't work, which is what I'm curious about.

Anybody know of anyone who has done this and it worked? I wouldn't want to try it, fail, and then have to find another OS or buy one to get Windows 10 again. And I'm not sure if I can get it again through Technical Preview since it's already released.

Any help is appreciated.

This might help http://lifehacker.com/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10-1720775893

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

easiest way to clean install

settings>updates>recovery>refresh pc>erase everything.

If you look at step 2 in their tutorial, you'll note I neither bought Windows 10, nor upgraded from 7 or 8. So their tutorial may not work for me. I'd like something certain before I try because I'd rather not lose the OS if I can help it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

If you look at step 2 in their tutorial, you'll note I neither bought Windows 10, nor upgraded from 7 or 8. So their tutorial may not work for me. I'd like something certain before I try because I'd rather not lose the OS if I can help it.

If you were running the insider preview and upgraded to 10 then you got a free 10 key I think.

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

That is because all insiders should have gotten the release build.

If you were running the insider preview and upgraded to 10 then you got a free 10 key I think.

See, and I thought I heard that that wasn't what was going to happen.

Sweet. So I basically have a regular Windows 10 installation, and can use my Product Key as a normal one. Useful. Thanks.

† Christian Member †

Sweet. So I basically have a regular Windows 10 installation, and can use my Product Key as a normal one. Useful. Thanks.

Here is an article on it http://www.pcworld.com/article/2921034/windows-10-preview-testers-will-get-a-free-upgrade-to-final-rtm-version.html. Hopefully it goes well.

Just saw this you might have to use home http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/421155-windows-10-insiders-reinstall-issue/