Complete format on a old Hard Drive

svance76

I am getting rid of a old computer. I have stripped it of useable parts. The hard drive has windows XP on it and I want to just completely wipe the drive and put it into another computer to use it as extra storage and or for back up? I did not want to just throw it in the newer computer without wiping it first, didn't know if that would cause a problem when starting up cause there is 2 hdd with two different OS's plugged in. Guess the question is how do I nuke the drive clean like it just came out of the box?

AMD FX 6300 Black Edition, ASRock 990FX Killer, 16GBs Memory @2133, 2 MSI R9 270x's in Crossfire, NZXT Kraken X41 Cooler, Samsung 850 pro SSD, 1 TB HDD, EVGA Supernova NEX 650 G, and with 4 other fans.

You can put a Linux image on a flash drive or DVD, boot off of it, and use the partition manager found in there to do a format. In addition, when having both drives plugged in without reformatting the aforementioned one, you will likely get an option to boot off of one of them. Picking the main drive should work just fine.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

insert installation media

and hit format. 

Applies to all oses.

windows xp-10

and all linux distros.

If you are keeping the drive yourself then the solution mentioned by @Arty will suffice. Insert any install media, start the installation, wait until the drive has been formatted then turn of the PC. The dive should then be formatted with a little data on it and can easily be reformatted in your other PC to delete said data.

If you want to securely wipe the drive for use by someone else I recommend you run DBAN over it. This will wipe out all the data securely (depending on the settings you use):

http://www.dban.org/

I hope this helps :)

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-DBAN!!!!!!!!

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Thanks guys, I used Remo Drive wipe. Found it before the dban suggestion. For a while there it just looked like it was not going to take the OS off. as soon as it finished and I hit exit the screen went blue with info on it, and just to make sure I tried to start it back up and it would not boot. Said something like no bootable media found.

Thanks, Im just not good with the software but I can build.

AMD FX 6300 Black Edition, ASRock 990FX Killer, 16GBs Memory @2133, 2 MSI R9 270x's in Crossfire, NZXT Kraken X41 Cooler, Samsung 850 pro SSD, 1 TB HDD, EVGA Supernova NEX 650 G, and with 4 other fans.