Surface pro 3 competitors?

melias24

Hey guys, so as you know I'm after a laptop. I ditched the idea of touchscreen and gaming as that is too costly.

So I was thinking of the i5 128gb surface pro 3, but I was just wondering what other laptops are out there at a similar price? I know of the yoga 3 pro (the $1,129 or so model) with the core M inside. Any other laptops I should look at? Would be good if it could do some Photoshop and Sony Vegas, and maybe csgo and other light gaming.

Also, wondering about the core M too, what is it like compared to say, the i5 in the surface? I know that it has Intel HD 5500 graphics, that's all I can see and lower GHz.

~Elias

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

I really like my Surface Pro 3

That's all I'm saying

What model? I5?

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

What model? I5?

yeah, 128GB too

Running Windows 10 now with no hitches too (same can't be said about my desktop :( )

That will certainly work for CS:GO.

I had same "crisis" a year ago. I went with an ASUS S301 for about $1.000. It has an 4200U and it can run CS:GO smoothly on lower settings. I use it for programming related with my study and all other tasks except gaming.

I don't know much about the performance of Core M graphics... You can read about HD 5300 (M-5Y70) here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-5300.125576.0.html

All other M processors and their different graphics unit(if any) should be available on the site too :)

If the laptop doesn't have to be light and small, you can save a lot by going 15,6".

EDIT :

HD 5500 should be able to play CS:GO pretty well!: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-5500.125586.0.html

Surface pro 4?

October baby

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I really like my Surface Pro 3

That's all I'm saying

Have you traveled a lot with it? Like on an aeroplane yet? In linus' video he had trouble standing it on the airplane table D:

Also how do you find the battery life? :)

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Have you traveled a lot with it? Like on an aeroplane yet? In linus' video he had trouble standing it on the airplane table D:

Also how do you find the battery life? :)

I really try not to use the plane but on the occasion that I do, it's fine. I don't do a lot of work on the plane anyway, so I mostly use it without the cover. I use the train weekly though (Liverpool-Manchester) and it works well.

I get 4 hours browsing with Chrome (Windows 8) and 7 hours Internet Explorer (Windows 8) and because of Chrome's crimes against smooth scrolling, I use IE now (but yesterday I switched to Edge) and because Chrome is abysmal with processor usage (goes up to 30% usage sometimes which switcheds the processor fan on)

Watching youtube videos I get like 6 hours which I find unsatisfactory but it's better than competitors (although MacBook Air lasts 9 hours).

I really try not to use the plane but on the occasion that I do, it's fine. I don't do a lot of work on the plane anyway, so I mostly use it without the cover. I use the train weekly though (Liverpool-Manchester) and it works well.

I get 4 hours browsing with Chrome (Windows 8) and 7 hours Internet Explorer (Windows 8) and because of Chrome's crimes against smooth scrolling, I use IE now (but yesterday I switched to Edge) and because Chrome is abysmal with processor usage (goes up to 30% usage sometimes which switcheds the processor fan on)

Watching youtube videos I get like 6 hours which I find unsatisfactory but it's better than competitors (although MacBook Air lasts 9 hours).

Where there any other competing tablets which you were considering before getting your Surface?

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Where there any other competing tablets which you were considering before getting your Surface?

I wasn't really after a tablet, more just a portable computer that I could carry around with me. I got really annoyed with just having to use my smartphone. It was just before it had released in the UK (like this time last year) and the new macbook had been released. I decided not to go for the macbook because allegedly the fan turns on too much (hardly at all on the Surface) and the screen was terrible. I was also looking at the Lenovo Yoga but it was above my budget and didn't have the pen, which I just find so useful now.

Of course, you could get an iPad with a cover and a Wacom pen but you don't get a proper processor and you don't get palm blocking. Plus Microsoft support is amazing, anything you're unhappy about they'll accommodate you.

I'm looking into a new laptop as well but a 2 in 1, mainly as I can get far more hard drive space than I could with a surface pro 3. 

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Surface pro 4?

October baby

Must upgrade from my SP3!

yeah, 128GB too

Running Windows 10 now with no hitches too (same can't be said about my desktop :( )

How are things like onenote working on windows 10 for the surface? Waiting for my patch to download also before my desktop....

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

I'm looking into a new laptop as well but a 2 in 1, mainly as I can get far more hard drive space than I could with a surface pro 3.

I am looking at lenovo yoga 14"

How are things like onenote working on windows 10 for the surface? Waiting for my patch to download also before my desktop....

It's a different app which I don't like much but it works fine I suppose. It works with all mu old notes but that's no surprise.