What to be careful about when buying a used laptop?

Degrah
Go to solution Solved by don_svetlio,

I got mine 2nd hand. Battery is ded. Lasts for 20 mins and drops dead.

Check if it overheats, check in what condition the HDD is. Make sure it hasn't been doused in anything.

Someone is selling used HP probook 6550b for 180€. Is that a good deal?
What should I ask him when buying it, and what should I be careful about? I know that battery degrades over time, but I can't really do too much about that, and it's not too big of a problem since I'll be using this laptop at my university and I'll almost always be able to charge it there.

when you get it, open it and clean it immediately. also make sure it dosent rattle.

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

I got mine 2nd hand. Battery is ded. Lasts for 20 mins and drops dead.

Check if it overheats, check in what condition the HDD is. Make sure it hasn't been doused in anything.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I have heard of people having good experiences with used/refurbished probooks, I would look for signs of abuse as red flags, but if it looks good odds are it's in decent shape. Business laptops are made fairly well so your chances are better.

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

Just buy a new HDD for your own sake. Most of them drop sectors really fast. And you don't want toloose your data.(brought like 10 laptops To sell on.)

I have heard of people having good experiences with used/refurbished probooks, I would look for signs of abuse as red flags, but if it looks good odds are it's in decent shape. Business laptops are made fairly well so your chances are better.

Not every time. I'm fairly happy with what I got. It's mobile, it has enough power to drive some older games and movies off my desk. I can take it with me to a friend's place and etc. It's probably been burned via cigars tho.

I also managed to get a 3 month warranty on mine.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just buy a new HDD for your own sake. Most of them drop sectors really fast. And you don't want toloose your data.(brought like 10 laptops To sell on.)

I'll probably buy a 250GB SSD and use move the HDD inside the laptop to my computer for storage for movies.

I'll probably buy a 250GB SSD and use move the HDD inside the laptop to my computer for storage for movies.

Yeah that's really the best use for them.

Not every time. I'm fairly happy with what I got. It's mobile, it has enough power to drive some older games and movies off my desk. I can take it with me to a friend's place and etc. It's probably been burned via cigars tho.

I also managed to get a 3 month warranty on mine.

Nice, and yeah you still have to be careful, but I knew a guy who got his college laptop for like $400 and it was far better than the Walmart special or whatever that some get in that price range, so I was just pointing out that you can get good deals on professional laptops and they usually still have some use left in them.

I got a Thinkpad Yoga refurbished which is a sorta-business-class laptop I guess and have been really happy with it. The thing is super rigid for the thickness.

TL;DR: msrp is for noobs

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804