Slower speed on Ethernet than wireless

ETRJ

I recently upgraded my internet to 152mb with virgin media in the uk so I decided to test out my new speeds. So I got my laptop (just over 1 year old) connected it to the router using a cat5e Ethernet cable and I was getting barley over 50megabits so I swapped it to wireless and now I'm getting over 100 megabits. Could anybody help me understand why

Hmm... perhaps try another cable?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

How many things have you got plugged into your router? There could be a loop in the network. I.E. a network cable going from the router to the router. Things often still work but you get weird issues

Your cable is probably low quality or damaged, I would try getting a new one.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

Hmm... perhaps try another cable?

Your cable is probably low quality or damaged, I would try getting a new one.

I've tried 3 different cables two I already own and a brand new one they supplied me with

How many things have you got plugged into your router? There could be a loop in the network. I.E. a network cable going from the router to the router. Things often still work but you get weird issues

I only one thing plugged in which is my laptop

Probably your router than, but could be your lan driver.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

do you have a gigabit router or a 10/100

its gigabit but its brand new with ac standards

its gigabit but its brand new with ac standards

Can you check what speed you are getting to your LAN port.

iLJpeMf.png

To be fair.. even if it was saying 100MB it should still be a faster speed test then that.

Try switching your wireless off on the laptop when you run the speed test again

Should be something like this:

kKkftD1.png

it says 100mbps

Hmm... Which router do you have?  Either the router doesn't have gigabit ports, or only some of the ports on it are gigabit. OR more unlikely, your LAN port is configured to go that speed.

Hmm... Which router do you have?  Either the router doesn't have gigabit ports, or only some of the ports on it are gigabit. OR more unlikely, your LAN port is configured to go that speed.

i have the super hub 2 ac and I just did a speed test with my nexus 5 on the 5ghz band and it got 110 mb download

Is it configured as a secondary router or is it your main router?

Is it configured as a secondary router or is it your main router?

its my main router and I don't have any other routers

I recently upgraded my internet to 152mb with virgin media in the uk so I decided to test out my new speeds. So I got my laptop (just over 1 year old) connected it to the router using a cat5e Ethernet cable and I was getting barley over 50megabits so I swapped it to wireless and now I'm getting over 100 megabits. Could anybody help me understand why

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Wireless-Networking/superhub-2ac-Issues/td-p/2790089/page/2

On the 2nd page there are instructions which could help you, you are not alone with this problem.

Ok that router has 4 gigabit ports. Here is what you need to check:

Go back to the window that shows the LAN speed. Then click on Properties at the bottom. Then on the window that appears, click Configure.

Here you can configure your LAN port for your laptop.

F52lwqB.png

Go to the Advanced tab. Then scroll down to Speed and Duplex. Is it on Auto Negotiation? If not, change it to that. Then check the speed again. If that hasn't changed it, try changing the speed to 1.0Gbps Full Duplex

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Experiencing-slow-speeds-on-the-Super-Hub-2AC-and-the-152mb/td-p/2517095

This goes in detail that this is an issue with the router's software and the hardware too so there is nothing you can do at the moment. In theory.

PS> if you don't get the 1.0 Gbps option on the dropdown menu, then its only a 100Mbps LAN port (unlikely).

If its not that, update the LAN driver. Then it could be a router issue, you may need to contact Virgin

Ok that router has 4 gigabit ports. Here is what you need to check:

Go back to the window that shows the LAN speed. Then click on Properties at the bottom. Then on the window that appears, click Configure.

Here you can configure your LAN port for your laptop.

F52lwqB.png

Go to the Advanced tab. Then scroll down to Speed and Duplex. Is it on Auto Negotiation? If not, change it to that. Then check the speed again. If that hasn't changed it, try changing the speed to 1.0Gbps Full Duplex

for some reason I haven't got the option for 1.0 Gbps full duplex. I have just switched it to 100mbps full deplex and got 92mb and thanks for all this help :)

for some reason I haven't got the option for 1.0 Gbps full duplex. I have just switched it to 100mbps full deplex and got 92mb and thanks for all this help :)

In which case, your LAN port does not support full gigabit, only 100Mbps. Still fine for internet really. 

And no problem  :) Glad its at least improved!