Dual OS?

skitz

Hi guys,

With my new PC I am building, I was wondering if it is possible to have both windows 8 and Unix (or other Linux based OS) as I will predominantly game, but with some of the coding I will be doing in C++, my lecturer suggested using a Linux based OS or getting a windows addon (he mentioned one but I can't remember the name) that works like linux. Not really sure why, but it was in the first lecture, and I thought as I am building a PC anyway, is there anyway I can install both, and just switch from one to the other when needed, or should I just stick with Windows 8 and get the addon.

Thanks

I5-4670k @ 4.2ghz With Thermaltake C5 Push/Pull | 8Gb G.Skill Trident series @1600mhz Msi Z87A-G45 Gaming Edition | ASUS GTX 770 GPU | Thermaltake Toughpower Gold 750W | Samsung 840pro 128gb SSD | WD Green 2Tb |  2X 23" Philips M4238C1CWWT (IPS & Thin Bezel) Monitors

yes, partion sections off for the 2 os's and install them as you boot up it will ask you which one you want.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Yes, Install windows first then install linux though (windows does not like linux and can mess it up)

I know ubuntu has a build in boot-loader so all you have to do is tell it to install next to windows during the ubuntu install. And I believe fedora has the same option, not sure about CentOS...

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Either partition them separately or just run a virtual machine.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Either partition them separately or just run a virtual machine.

yes, get a virtual machine and run your Linux in that

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing

yes, get a virtual machine and run your Linux in that

I don't think he can run a virtual machine. He has a Toshiba Satellite A300 in his signature which uses a Centrino T555 which doesn't support VT-x.

http://www.toshiba.eu/discontinued-products/satellite-a300-149/

http://ark.intel.com/products/32427/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T5550-2M-Cache-1_83-GHz-667-MHz-FSB

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Try a virtual machine (use vmware player or something similar), it's a little bit more convenient. You can still install Linux on a "real" partition if you run into problems.

Yes, Install windows first then install linux though (windows does not like linux and can mess it up)

I know ubuntu has a build in boot-loader so all you have to do is tell it to install next to windows during the ubuntu install. And I believe fedora has the same option, not sure about CentOS...

Basically every distribution has that.

I don't think he can run a virtual machine. He has a Toshiba Satellite A300 in his signature which uses a Centrino T555 which doesn't support VT-x.

http://ark.intel.com/products/32427/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T5550-2M-Cache-1_83-GHz-667-MHz-FSB

He is building a new pc and afaik you don't really need VT-x anyway.

to know the face of Dodge is to know madness

Take a look at what I’ve been watching…

I think he is building a new one

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing

I think he is building a new one

Ah yes. Silly me.  :unsure:

If you don't plan on doing massive amounts of work then this would be the simplest way to go. In saying that if you like the idea of getting more used to Linux then there is no harm in running a full OS on the hdd. It will run slightly better than a virtual system anyway but isn't necessary either. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I agree with the majority of posters, that using a VM is less work than dual booting (I would suggest virtual box as well). If you feel like doing even less work, you could install Cygwin (simply put, a Linux bash shell on windows), which includes the gcc compiler (the GNU compiler suite for c, c++,etc), which is probably what your professor was hinting at.

That being said, I like dual booting, as I enjoy using Linux without being hindered by a slow VM. Also, the setup itself will help you start to learn how the Linux operating system works and some of its features if you have no experience with it. I usually only use VMs for testing purposes, or if I just need to do something quick on a Linux box and I am already booted into windows.

| CPU: 2600K @ 4.5 GHz 1.325V | MB: ASUS P8Z68-V pro | GPU: EVGA GTX 480 clk 865/mem 2100 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz CL9 | HDD: Muskin Chronos Deluxe 240GB(win8) && ADATA SX900 120 GB(ubuntu 12.04) | PSU: Seasonic x760 |