Applying Thermal Paste

Ghost

I just watched the new tech quickie and disagreed on two parts of it:

Why would you want something non-conductive? I use Arctic Silver 5 and have been for years. It has never let me down and yet it is conductive. How would being conductive make a difference. You would have to be a complete [word] to smear the compound over any components. And yes I have over applied once before I knew the tech world existed. I used about half a tube 2.5g of the things on an AM3 CPU and It still didn't do anything.

Secondly I disagree with the line/P method. I still think that doing an even layer with a plastic bag, (or plastic sleeve which is what I prefer to use), to spread it is much better because you have control over how it spreads.

(This is not a rant. Its a discussion. I am not saying Linus is wrong and I am right)

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I think we can "discuss" applications methods till the cows come home. In the end, they all do a pretty good job of spreading. All except if you completly tighten one corner at a time which will result in a pretty poor one...

As for non-conductive, I have seen a junior tech who was applying some grease, not realize that he dripped a bit on the mobo while checking something else. Doesn't happen often, but can - so, better safe.

As for artic silver 5... It's not conductive... I love this post...

http://www.overclock.net/t/140813/ar...lly-conductive

As per the Arctic site, it's safe. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Why would you want something non-conductive? I use Arctic Silver 5 and have been for years. It has never let me down and yet it is conductive. How would being conductive make a difference. You would have to be a complete [word] to smear the compound over any components. And yes I have over applied once before I knew the tech world existed. I used about half a tube 2.5g of the things on an AM3 CPU and It still didn't do anything. Secondly I disagree with the line/P method. I still think that doing an even layer with a plastic bag' date=' (or plastic sleeve which is what I prefer to use), to spread it is much better because you have control over how it spreads. (This is not a rant. Its a discussion. I am not saying Linus is wrong and I am right) [/quote']

I've tested a "thin spread+thin line" vs a "single line" so many times (running the cpus for a week before taking results) and the differences were within margin of error.

As for arctic silver 5, I'm not even going to have the conductive vs non-conductive discussions, arctic silver 5 is outdated, doesn't preform top anymore, has a long "settle in" time, and doesn't last nearly as long as new stuff.

I think we can "discuss" applications methods till the cows come home. In the end, they all do a pretty good job of spreading. All except if you completly tighten one corner at a time which will result in a pretty poor one...

As for non-conductive, I have seen a junior tech who was applying some grease, not realize that he dripped a bit on the mobo while checking something else. Doesn't happen often, but can - so, better safe.

To be honest it wouldn't make a difference to me if its conductive or not. I've used the analogy before but its like people buying non-conductive coolant for watercooling If it spills you're screwed either way.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Why would you want something non-conductive? I use Arctic Silver 5 and have been for years. It has never let me down and yet it is conductive. How would being conductive make a difference. You would have to be a complete [word] to smear the compound over any components. And yes I have over applied once before I knew the tech world existed. I used about half a tube 2.5g of the things on an AM3 CPU and It still didn't do anything. Secondly I disagree with the line/P method. I still think that doing an even layer with a plastic bag' date=' (or plastic sleeve which is what I prefer to use), to spread it is much better because you have control over how it spreads. (This is not a rant. Its a discussion. I am not saying Linus is wrong and I am right) [/quote']

I've tested a "thin spread+thin line" vs a "single line" so many times (running the cpus for a week before taking results) and the differences were within margin of error.

As for arctic silver 5, I'm not even going to have the conductive vs non-conductive discussions, arctic silver 5 is outdated, doesn't preform top anymore, has a long "settle in" time, and doesn't last nearly as long as new stuff.

Doesn't last? Mines lasted for about 3 years.

To true! :) Anyone for de-ionized water?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I just watched the new tech quickie and disagreed on two parts of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2p6Hk4IfqI Why would you want something non-conductive? I use Arctic Silver 5 and have been for years. It has never let me down and yet it is conductive. How would being conductive make a difference. You would have to be a complete [word] to smear the compound over any components. And yes I have over applied once before I knew the tech world existed. I used about half a tube 2.5g of the things on an AM3 CPU and It still didn't do anything. Secondly I disagree with the line/P method. I still think that doing an even layer with a plastic bag' date=' (or plastic sleeve which is what I prefer to use), to spread it is much better because you have control over how it spreads. (This is not a rant. Its a discussion. I am not saying Linus is wrong and I am right) [/quote']

I can promise you if you re-apply you will see a drop in temps. Even on their website is says it only works at optimal levels for a year, after that it starts degrading. Does it still work? Yes, just not as well. I used to solely advocate it for years, but then i made the switch to GC Extreme and never looked back.

Ugh Arctic Silver 5 is so oldschool, lol. The week long break-in times for temps were always lame. Used to be amazing though, too much competition from much better (and cheaper) products.

I used to use Arctic Silver 5, but I switched to TIM Consultants Quantum because it's cheaper and it works really good!

You can buy it directly from than manufacturer for ~$5 with shipping, and in some of the tests I have seen online it is in the top 10 thermal pastes which are all within 1 or 2C of each other.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

I use to use Arctic Silver 5 but the cost of it is a bit high which is why i now use Noctua's thermal paste.

Well you aren't screwed directly since it absorbs ions over time if you notice it directly you should't hav ea problem.

I use Arctic Silver 5 and have been for years. It has never let me down and yet it is conductive. How would being conductive make a difference. You would have to be a complete [word] to smear the compound over any components. And yes I have over applied once before I knew the tech world existed. I used about half a tube 2.5g of the things on an AM3 CPU and It still didn't do anything.

It is still better if you fuck up. Also, AS5 has a lower thermal conductivity than MX4.

Secondly I disagree with the line/P method. I still think that doing an even layer with a plastic bag, (or plastic sleeve which is what I prefer to use), to spread it is much better because you have control over how it spreads. (This is not a rant. Its a discussion. I am not saying Linus is wrong and I am right)

Go look up Logan's video or any of the other videos on it. It is clearly better to put a dot or a line in the centre.