What UPS to buy

Agent181

Hello I have been looking into UPS for some time for my personal rig but been putting it off since I don't know which one.  

At work we use both cyber power and apc UPS and they work great but all but one computer is on an UPS mainly because the IT guy there cheaped out.  Well for that unlucky person there was a brown out and the pc was fried.  

Now after this I want to protect my pc from this, there have been at least 3 brown outs and 1 black out at my apartment, shitty wiring and old electrical system from the 80's.  So yea I need an UPS before my system fries.

I have looked into both Cyberpower ones and APC, but im lost

Here is what I need:

PC to last on for 10~15 mins to save anything im doing

My pc uses ~593W

I need at least 8 outlets, 10 would be ideal

around ~$100 US maybe a little more depends

thanks

Hello I have been looking into UPS for some time for my personal rig but been putting it off since I don't know which one.  

At work we use both cyber power and apc UPS and they work great but all but one computer is on an UPS mainly because the IT guy there cheaped out.  Well for that unlucky person there was a brown out and the pc was fried.  

Now after this I want to protect my pc from this, there have been at least 3 brown outs and 1 black out at my apartment, shitty wiring and old electrical system from the 80's.  So yea I need an UPS before my system fries.

I have looked into both Cyberpower ones and APC, but im lost

Here is what I need:

PC to last on for 10~15 mins to save anything im doing

My pc uses ~593W

I need at least 8 outlets, 10 would be ideal

around ~$100 US maybe a little more depends

thanks

My place of business uses APC units. Most of the ones we got rid of were due to upgrades, but there were a couple (out of probably 200 or so) that failed over a span of several years, and even those were usually repaired. I could definitely recommend them, not sure about a particular model though.

~100&, not gonna happen for your wattage.

I only trust APC, and thats what my PC, home theater and etc electronics run off of.

For 600W, and at a reasonable price/protection...

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1500G&total_watts=200

EDIT: But dont add anything but your computer and monitor, you would already be pushing it.

KILLING IS HIS BUSINESS...

AND BUSINESS

IS GOOD!

But honestly, if you want true protection, for all your computer related devices, save up and get one of these.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SMT1500&total_watts=50

Better protection, more wattage to add monitors, modem, external drives, DAC, etc.

AND BUSINESS

IS GOOD!

I recommend an APC brand for a UPS I've used their stuff for a while now and never had issues with them.  The one Deathstroke recommended would be the one I'd choose, it doesn't have all the outlets as battery backup so a power bar can be used while not ideal not a major issue.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1500G&total_watts=200

I personally would not recommend putting a power bar through one of the Battery powered outlets, they don't recommend it, and I've experienced a ton a battery draw when testing it.

You could maybe put one through the Surge outlets, especially if you need at 8/10 outlets, but like I said before, Do Not put anything more than your PC and a monitor through the battery ports, you will draw too much wattage.

Personally, I won't draw more than ~70% from battery, anymore and it goes through surge..

My current setup is drawing about 60% with all my gear, PC, 3 monitors, 2 external powered enclosures, DAC, modem/router, and I'm considering a bigger unit.

AND BUSINESS

IS GOOD!

I personally would not recommend putting a power bar through one of the Battery powered outlets, they don't recommend it, and I've experienced a ton a battery draw when testing it.

You could maybe put one through the Surge outlets, especially if you need at 8/10 outlets, but like I said before, Do Not put anything more than your PC and a monitor through the battery ports, you will draw too much wattage.

Personally, I won't draw more than ~70% from battery, anymore and it goes through surge..

My current setup is drawing about 60% with all my gear, PC, 3 monitors, 2 external powered enclosures, DAC, modem/router, and I'm considering a bigger unit.

At 60-70% load on battery your pretty safe the UPS are designed for 100% load capability so it can deliver the full VA or wattage your drawing, I've overloaded UPS multiple times on a smaller 250W unit, it just triggers the overcurrent protection but at that point if that ever occurs a larger unit is needed.

Exactly, if he's looking for a true safety precaution, he's going to need as much wattage protection as he can get. It will run longer with less on it, and will put less strain on the battery.

I'm not saying you need to get a bigger one so you guarantee you won't overload, but if you want to ensure what you need running when power blows is actually going to work, be under your max load, and only have the essentials at this price point.

AND BUSINESS

IS GOOD!

Exactly, if he's looking for a true safety precaution, he's going to need as much wattage protection as he can get. It will run longer with less on it, and will put less strain on the battery.

I'm not saying you need to get a bigger one so you guarantee you won't overload, but if you want to ensure what you need running when power blows is actually going to work, be under your max load, and only have the essentials at this price point.

Hmm that one is out of my budget especially since I need to buy school books

What's the best thing then, ups or surge protector? I just want to protect my pc from any damage

Hmm that one is out of my budget especially since I need to buy school books

What's the best thing then, ups or surge protector? I just want to protect my pc from any damage

If you have blackouts or sudden power loss a UPS is best since it will prevent data corruption or loss. A slightly lesser is the 1300VA version I current own one of those and use it for my main system, it would still be enough for your system and monitors.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BX1300G-CA&total_watts=200

If you have blackouts or sudden power loss a UPS is best since it will prevent data corruption or loss. A slightly lesser is the 1300VA version I current own one of those and use it for my main system, it would still be enough for your system and monitors.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BX1300G-CA&total_watts=200

How much time would that give me for standby otherwise I would get the 1500 one

How much time would that give me for standby otherwise I would get the 1500 one

If your at full load of the 780W only a few mins like all UPS's but at around 500W you get approx 6 mins from their graphs, in the technical specs

If your at full load of the 780W only a few mins like all UPS's but at around 500W you get approx 6 mins from their graphs, in the technical specs

I see most of the time I sit around 400w unless I'm doing hmwk which is 450w while gaming it's under 600w so I'm thinking of going to get the 1300 one but if the price isn't too high I'll go for the 1500 one

You'll be fine with either really, obviously more wattage protection is better, but you could say the same thing about anything PC wise, more gfx power for better gfx card.

All about budget, and if you're going to school then that's a priority. For basic protection a good surge protector will definitely help in some cases, surges, blackout, lighting, dirty power, but batteries are always the best.

AND BUSINESS

IS GOOD!

You'll be fine with either really, obviously more wattage protection is better, but you could say the same thing about anything PC wise, more gfx power for better gfx card.

All about budget, and if you're going to school then that's a priority. For basic protection a good surge protector will definitely help in some cases, surges, blackout, lighting, dirty power, but batteries are always the best.

I might start with a surge protector then until I can get the 1500 UPS, I already lost a mini fridge in a brown out once, I want to have some protection until I get it