What To Do?

melias24

Hey guys, some made a thread yesterday about getting rid of my desktop to get a laptop. Anyway, I mentioned this idea to my parents, and they said "don't come to us if you think your laptop isn't good enough" and this is true, as I used to have a laptop, but sold it to get this desktop, which they bought for me, but since then the only thing I haven't bought is the cpu,ram and HDD.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Should I keep the desktop? I just feel something thin, portable and touchscreen for around $1300~ that can run CS:GO, and GTA 5 on medium.

My other option is, buy a dirt bike that needs some work fix it up, ride it for a bit and then sell it for a profit and buy a $1800 laptop, but problem with that is that I don't know if I can get $1800 for it.

Anyway thanks for all answers and would like suggestions in a laptop, I also do Photoshop and Sony Vegas.
~Elias
EDIT: Make the budget dead on $1300 as I will buy a Logitech MX master with another $100, cause beast mouse.

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Well the dirt bike certainly sounds like it takes a lot of time, I know stuff like that does for me. I would just get a better desktop for that much. You'd have a pretty high end rig.

I don't think a $1,300 would play GTA V on Medium setting.

Don't sell your desktop. Not worth it.

What are the specs of the desktop?

770 2gb, i5 4670, 1tb HDD, 8gb of ram, z87 mpower max,

I don't think a $1,300 would play GTA V on Medium setting.

Don't sell your desktop. Not worth it.

OK fair enough.

Well the dirt bike certainly sounds like it takes a lot of time, I know stuff like that does for me. I would just get a better desktop for that much. You'd have a pretty high end rig.

Eh its my type of thing of fixing dirt bikes, but yea fair enough, I'll see if I can snag a laptop for Christmas or my birthday.

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

770 2gb, i5 4670, 1tb HDD, 8gb of ram, z87 mpower max,

OK fair enough.

Eh its my type of thing of fixing dirt bikes, but yea fair enough, I'll see if I can snag a laptop for Christmas or my birthday.

Oh I understand, I used to fix up those Chinese ATVs. They break down all the time so I know the ins and outs of fixing them. I would really stick with a desktop though, you get so much more performance. You could even do an ITX build like I did so it's easier to take to a friend's house.

Oh I understand, I used to fix up those Chinese ATVs. They break down all the time so I know the ins and outs of fixing them. I would really stick with a desktop though, you get so much more performance. You could even do an ITX build like I did so it's easier to take to a friend's house.

Yea fair enough, but I'd like a laptop to take everywhere. Anyway, I guess I'll stick with the desktop, and just get a motorbike as a project anyway, and I guess if I do sell the bike off I can look at a laptop then.

Yea fair enough, but I'd like a laptop to take everywhere. Anyway, I guess I'll stick with the desktop, and just get a motorbike as a project anyway, and I guess if I do sell the bike off I can look at a laptop then.

Sounds like a plan to me!

Sounds like you're just throwing your parents money down the drain because you want something new and more exciting

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Can't you save up for a laptop while keeping your desktop? Is a laptop really that urgent for you?

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

Sounds like you're just throwing your parents money down the drain because you want something new and more exciting

True, like I said if I end up getting the dirt bike to do and up and if I sell it, I'll look into a laptop then, but if not idk what I'll do with the money.

Can't you save up for a laptop while keeping your desktop? Is a laptop really that urgent for you?

Good point, no I'm not that desperate for a laptop, just be good to have as a backup. But like I said if I end up selling the dirt bike for a profit I'll send $1200 on a basic laptop.

'Gaming' grade laptops are far from easily portable. More like semi-portable. Just look at Alienware's laptop, or some of Asus' laptops. The only gaming laptop close to fully portable is the Razer Blade 14''

<Insert joke here>

'Gaming' grade laptops are far from easily portable. More like semi-portable. Just look at Alienware's laptop, or some of Asus' laptops. The only gaming laptop close to fully portable is the Razer Blade 14''

Yes true I've been looking at laptops that have gtx 950/860ms that seem fairly thin.

EDIT: For what they have in them, but some only have 128gb SSD's!! then some have 2tb 5400rpm HDDs :(

Yes true I've been looking at laptops that have gtx 950/860ms that seem fairly thin.

EDIT: For what they have in them, but some only have 128gb SSD's!! then some have 2tb 5400rpm HDDs :(

If they are M.2 or mSATA, you could get a 512GB SSD, but even better, since the HDDs used in laptops are 2.5'', you can put a regular SSD in there. You could even put a WD Black Squared (http://www.amazon.com/Black2-Dual-Drive-2-5-WD1001X06XDTL/dp/B00GSJ9X4Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1438063481&sr=1-1&keywords=wd+black+squared) in the 2.5'' drive slot, and then  get a 512GB M.2 or mSATA SSD, whichever the laptop you chose takes, if you even get a laptop, and if money allows.

<Insert joke here>

Anyone had experience with the gtx 960m, gtx 860m and 950m? Interested in the performance of both 2 and 4gb models