GTX 670 Overclocking Help

InfinityHardware

I am building my friend a computer with a PNY GTX 670 XLR8 Enthusiast Edition Graphics Card. At least, that is the full name on the front of the box, but the PCB and cooling looks pretty much the same as the reference 670 to me. The point is, if I overclock this card, will it void the warranty? And if it will, how long would it live on average at about 1059 MHz base clock and 1500 MHz memory clock.

We cannot predict how long your overclock will last. You might have a chip that will fail the next day, as it can last 20 years overclocked. But the general rule is that it's fine and won't affect much the life span if you don't touch voltages, and you keep temperature under control.

Overclocking technically voids the warranty. But as long as you don't do a firmware modification or crazy hack like that to get more out of your GPU, the manufacture won't really know that you overclocked the graphic card, as long as you don't tell them. Why? Because overclocking is done via the Nvidia/AMD drivers. Your overclock software simply uses Nvidia or AMD (depending on what card you have) overclock SDK to communicate with the drivers to set your define clock.

We cannot predict how long your overclock will last. You might have a chip that will fail the next day, as it can last 20 years overclocked. But the general rule is that it's fine and won't affect much the life span if you don't touch voltages, and you keep temperature under control.

Overclocking technically voids the warranty. But as long as you don't do a firmware modification or crazy hack like that to get more out of your GPU, the manufacture won't really know that you overclocked the graphic card, as long as you don't tell them. Why? Because overclocking is done via the Nvidia/AMD drivers. Your overclock software simply uses Nvidia or AMD (depending on what card you have) overclock SDK to communicate with the drivers to set your define clock.

I think I will overclock it now. Thanks for the help!

The GTX 670 has locked voltages, so you just have to open the power limit and keep it cool, that is NV's politic, keep overvolting down so they they live longer, and pass quality tests better, they don't have to spend more money on keeping the card working longer than the warranty, and prevent overclockers to kill their cards, and replace with a new one under warranty every year or two

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Does raising the power limit count as overvolting and stuff like that? I know it isn't actually overvolting but can I do it and still be OK?

It should be raising the power limit count.
Oops, was meant to say it is fine to increase the power limit.

So it won't let the manufacturer know I overclocked if I raise it a little?

All raising the power limit does is allow the card to use more power if its needed so having it maxed won't affect the card at all.

They won't know :)