Skylake

Now we have more information on skylake i ask again will thé next skymake be worth for upgrade

Juste upgarde from a old i5

Which i5?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Could someone post a link to this "info" on skylakes? :)

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

I5 4440 ans i have already a watercooling kit so think i will OC it thé max

I5 4440 ans i have already a watercooling kit so think i will OC it thé max

Haswell isn't old.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Now we have more information on skylake i ask again will thé next skymake be worth for upgrade

Some chinese site got the i7 skylake to hit 5.2ghz on air. That is pretty badass. Think about what you can do on water.

The overclocking potential is a doozie, but can't tell if it's a huge bump from previous gen

Details separate people.

Some chinese site got the i7 skylake to hit 5.2ghz on air. That is pretty badass. Think about what you can do on water.

It depends on your chip.

It depends on your chip.

I meant on that chip in particular. I know the silicon lottery plays a big part and I probably should have picked my words more carefully. But ya 5.2 on air is super impressive and really gives an idea of what the max potential of the chip could be. Combine that with a better ipc and you get a chip that maybe isnt worth upgrading from a 4790k but probably worth it if you are still on older generations.

I meant on that chip in particular. I know the silicon lottery plays a big part and I probably should have picked my words more carefully. But ya 5.2 on air is super impressive and really gives an idea of what the max potential of the chip could be. Combine that with a better ipc and you get a chip that maybe isnt worth upgrading from a 4790k but probably worth it if you are still on older generations.

Heat isn't the only limiting factor in a chip's ability to overclock.

I would say that this isn't worth. It is only compatible with DDR3L and DDR4 ram so if you can get that too with skylake and a new mobo then go for it. If not, Haswell should be good enough for a few years atleast.

The Brokish Boy v1: CPU: i7-8700k GPU: MSI Gaming X GTX ti MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus X Code Ram: G.Skill Trident Z 4x8gb 3200mhz DRIVES: 2x3TB WD Black , 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 500gb 970 EVO SSD Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black Headphone: ATH-MSR7 Mic: Blue Yeti Monitors: 27" BenQ GW2765 1440p; IPS, 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p; VA