Help! Windows 7 Clean Install Issues

Go to solution Solved by Colombini,

You can update the board using AI suite in windows, or make a bios flashback usb stick.

Howe to do it, is in the manuel chapter 3.10.2 or on the ASUS website support/ download the manuel. :)

Hi everyone,

I've just switched out my MSI Z77A-G45 Motherboard in favour of and Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe (just to downsize), and was wondering two things:

1) Do i need to do a clean install of windows 7?

2) I booted it up initially and it went right back into windows...I thought you had to re-install windows with a new motherboard - is that true? Anyways, when I tried to re-install and boot from a win7 DVD, it gives me a blue screen with the ACPI.sys error every time.

So essentially I was wondering if it's okay just to run off the new motherboard with no clean install and just install the new chipset drivers, or if I need to reformat and fix that blue screen error. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

It's best to re-install Windows after a motherboard change to avoid any driver compatibility issues. Especially with newer OS's like Windows 7 and 8 which are very attached to the hardware they're installed with. 

Anyway if it works you could just leave it but it could make your computer slower due to lots of unnecessary drivers or cause some issues in the future. 

As for the bluescreen during installation, try using a different DVD or a bootable USB stick if you can. Otherwise an ACPI.sys bluescreen during installation could actually be due to a hardware failure of some sort.

It's best to re-install Windows after a motherboard change to avoid any driver compatibility issues. Especially with newer OS's like Windows 7 and 8 which are very attached to the hardware they're installed with. 

Anyway if it works you could just leave it but it could make your computer slower due to lots of unnecessary drivers or cause some issues in the future. 

As for the bluescreen during installation, try using a different DVD or a bootable USB stick if you can. Otherwise an ACPI.sys bluescreen during installation could actually be due to a hardware failure of some sort.

Yeah that's the thing. I don't think it's some sort of hardware failure issue considering it still boots into the old windows and recognizes everything. even passed memtest86... I've updated the storage drivers and i'll give it a try, but otherwise i'm at a loss...

A clean install is always better!

Make shure that you have the latest drivers fot your PC.

To start with a clean HDD is better, so format the drive when installing windows. :)

Yeah that's the thing. I don't think it's some sort of hardware failure issue considering it still boots into the old windows and recognizes everything. even passed memtest86... I've updated the storage drivers and i'll give it a try, but otherwise i'm at a loss...

Try running CHKDSK. It could be a hard drive / SSD issue.

Otherwise I read online that some people got past that blue screen by taking out all but 1 ram stick for the installation. 

Run Memtest om a bootable cd, if you still have bleu screens. :)

Try running CHKDSK. It could be a hard drive / SSD issue.

Otherwise I read online that some people got past that blue screen by taking out all but 1 ram stick for the installation. 

Tried the 1 RAM stick thing - no luck.

Run Memtest om a bootable cd, if you still have bleu screens. :)

Memtest passed when I did it yesterday

I'm starting to think it may be a CPU issue with the motherboard trying to auto-clock it or something. Any thoughts?

Thanks guys, by the way!

*EDIT: Is there any harm in simply letting it run without a clean install and just installing the new ASUS drivers? Is there a way to completely remove traces of MSI?

Tried the 1 RAM stick thing - no luck.

Memtest passed when I did it yesterday

I'm starting to think it may be a CPU issue with the motherboard trying to auto-clock it or something. Any thoughts?

Thanks guys, by the way!

*EDIT: Is there any harm in simply letting it run without a clean install and just installing the new ASUS drivers? Is there a way to completely remove traces of MSI?

If changing the motherboard hasn't caused any issues with Windows yet then it probably won't. It's just that after changes like that systems often start to feel sluggish quickly.

There are programs that remove traces of drivers from Windows folders and the registry but from my experience and from what I've seen online they do more damage than good.

As for the auto-clock, check your BIOS make sure options that sound like they could be doing auto-overlocking are disabled. 

And again, try using a different Windows DVD, or creating a bootable USB stick. If you have a genuine Windows disk this is still legal, you can legally download ISO's from Microsoft's website and put them on a USB stick or a DVD. All you have to do is use your own key. And if you don't have your own key then obviously you don't care if it's legal :P

But yeah try a different installation medium, the one you have might be scratched or might have some corrupted files. 

Maybe a stuppid question, is your windows install-dvd ok? :unsure:

Do you have the latest bios installed on your mainbord?

Try to boot the the system in default setting, no overclock!

is your setting for your HDD in the bios IDE or AHCI, set it to AHCI and format the drive and install Windows. :)

If changing the motherboard hasn't caused any issues with Windows yet then it probably won't. It's just that after changes like that systems often start to feel sluggish quickly.

There are programs that remove traces of drivers from Windows folders and the registry but from my experience and from what I've seen online they do more damage than good.

As for the auto-clock, check your BIOS make sure options that sound like they could be doing auto-overlocking are disabled. 

And again, try using a different Windows DVD, or creating a bootable USB stick. If you have a genuine Windows disk this is still legal, you can legally download ISO's from Microsoft's website and put them on a USB stick or a DVD. All you have to do is use your own key. And if you don't have your own key then obviously you don't care if it's legal :P

But yeah try a different installation medium, the one you have might be scratched or might have some corrupted files. 

Thanks for the help! I've tried two different USB boot drives, and i'm on a DVD now and it's giving me the same error every time :s  (hahah it is a legitemate copy ) 

I guess i'll try a new BIOS update from the ASUS website to see if that helps, as well as all the other drivers and try again.

Maybe a stuppid question, is your windows install-dvd ok? :unsure:

Do you have the latest bios installed on your mainbord?

Try to boot the the system in default setting, no overclock!

is your setting for your HDD in the bios IDE or AHCI, set it to AHCI and format the drive and install Windows. :)

Yeah it's totally fine - been getting the same errors with USB and DVDs :(

I'll be updating the BIOS too. Weird thing is that it is in AHCI, but doesn't change anything... The BSOD happens right after/during the spash screen before i have the option to format the SSD

Thanks for the help! I've tried two different USB boot drives, and i'm on a DVD now and it's giving me the same error every time :s  (hahah it is a legitemate copy ) 

I guess i'll try a new BIOS update from the ASUS website to see if that helps, as well as all the other drivers and try again.

Yeah it's totally fine - been getting the same errors with USB and DVDs :(

I'll be updating the BIOS too. Weird thing is that it is in AHCI, but doesn't change anything... The BSOD happens right after/during the spash screen before i have the option to format the SSD

Well everything seems to be pointing to a problem with the SSD. Make sure the SATA cable is plugged in all the way and try a different port on the motherboard.

If that doesn't fix the problem run the Command Line and "CHKDSK /f /r" after booting into the Windows installation you have now. It will ask you to restart so do that. 

Well everything seems to be pointing to a problem with the SSD. Make sure the SATA cable is plugged in all the way and try a different port on the motherboard.

If that doesn't fix the problem run the Command Line and "CHKDSK /f /r" after booting into the Windows installation you have now. It will ask you to restart so do that. 

Would an SSD issue cause it to bsod when booting from a DVD though? It seems like the SSD doesn't come into play until after.

I'll try and update the firmware on it, see if that works (like @Colombini said)

Would an SSD issue cause it to bsod when booting from a DVD though? It seems like the SSD doesn't come into play until after.

I'll try and update the firmware on it, see if that works (like @Colombini said)

Yes, The installation process goes through all the hardware you have straight after booting from the DVD. It has to do this to load all the correct drivers for the hardware that will be used during the installation... for example your SSD or HDD.

It cant hurt to update your SSD. ;)

I have a Asus Z77 Maximus V Formula, the old bios versions i had on the bord caused sometimes not to detect my SSD for some reason.

But now i use the latest firmware on my bord and Crucial M4 128 gb ssd, and now i dont have any problems what so ever. :)

Yes, The installation process goes through all the hardware you have straight after booting from the DVD. It has to do this to load all the correct drivers for the hardware that will be used during the installation... for example your SSD or HDD.

It cant hurt to update your SSD. ;)

I have a Asus Z77 Maximus V Formula, the old bios versions i had on the bord caused sometimes not to detect my SSD for some reason.

But now i use the latest firmware on my bord and Crucial M4 128 gb ssd, and now i dont have any problems what so ever. :)

Alright, so I updated the firmware, and I get the same error. I'm unsure as to how to update the BIOS though - What do i do with a .cap file?

There is a support subject on the asus.com website for the P8Z77-I DELUXE Support/FAQ about your BSOD problem, look it up. :)

You can update the board using AI suite in windows, or make a bios flashback usb stick.

Howe to do it, is in the manuel chapter 3.10.2 or on the ASUS website support/ download the manuel. :)

Thanks @Colombini and @bartekxx12 for the help! 

I updated the BIOS and that fixed it entirely!

YHHEEEE!!!!!

Have lots of fun with your new pc!! :D  :D  :D

If you need any help, just ask no problem! ;)