Asus ROG laptops suggestions

TacoSenpai
Go to solution Solved by D2ultima,

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9772-clevo-p770zm-p-7856.html

Am I looking at the right thing? Is it something you buy directly from them?

Odd, it usually has GTX GPUs. I guess the P770ZM-G is the only one that uses consumer GPUs now? Either way, you get Gsync so...

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9773-clevo-p770zmg-eta-08042015-p-8299.html?wconfigure=yes

You can buy it from Sager through Xotic, but you can also buy it from Eurocom or Pro-Star computing or Mythlogic or wherever else you want. Clevos are rebranded by many many companies (including Origin PC and iBuyPower, but don't buy from them, because they're overpriced and don't even know what they're selling half the time) so if you see the same machine elsewhere, it should be fine.

So I'm currently looking at new laptops to buy once I leave school in December of this year given that my current business line Dell one is running on its last legs.  I did some research and I'm really liking the Asus ROG line of laptops as they seem to offer alot of bang for what you pay for especially when compared to other brands out there.  My upper limit is $1800 and what I'm mostly looking for is upgradeability in the RAM department, reliability (runs cool and will last awhile without breaking), and an SSD. 

If anyone has any experiences they would like to share with the brand particularly the newer models out there or even provide recommendation they would be much appreciated.  If I'm also not mistaken they appear to be computers that you have to buy through other vendors like Ebay or Amazon (although I do see ROG laptops on base exchanges oddly enough) so if you have any recommendation for users to buy from that would be helpful as well.

So I'm currently looking at new laptops to buy once I leave school in December of this year given that my current business line Dell one is running on its last legs.  I did some research and I'm really liking the Asus ROG line of laptops as they seem to offer alot of bang for what you pay for especially when compared to other brands out there.  My upper limit is $1800 and what I'm mostly looking for is upgradeability in the RAM department, reliability (runs cool and will last awhile without breaking), and an SSD. 

If anyone has any experiences they would like to share with the brand particularly the newer models out there or even provide recommendation they would be much appreciated.  If I'm also not mistaken they appear to be computers that you have to buy through other vendors like Ebay or Amazon (although I do see ROG laptops on base exchanges oddly enough) so if you have any recommendation for users to buy from that would be helpful as well.

G751JT

http://www.amazon.com/G751JT-DH72-17-3-Inch-GeForce-GTX970M-Graphics/dp/B00OBQ5950/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437697070&sr=8-2&keywords=G751jt

snip

Check out the Clevo / Sager series of laptops. They're good. They even have desktop CPUs in them.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Looks like that fits the bill.  Thanks.  Is there anything super special about the GTX980M other than it having more memory than the GTX970M?  Sorry I'm pretty new to all this.

Looks like that fits the bill.  Thanks.  Is there anything super special about the GTX980M other than it having more memory than the GTX970M?  Sorry I'm pretty new to all this.

It will give you better performance.

I own the G550JK;

https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/G550JK/

Great laptop! :)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I own an Asus g751jt with the 970m and it works great for gaming and school if you don't mind the weight

I can play GTA V on almost all max settings without a problem.

The 980m version is better though with the graphics inside it should last you 4 years of gaming at decent settings were as the 970m version you may only get 2 or 3

I own an Asus g751jt with the 970m and it works great for gaming and school if you don't mind the weight

I can play GTA V on almost all max settings without a problem.

The 980m version is better though with the graphics inside it should last you 4 years of gaming at decent settings were as the 970m version you may only get 2 or 3

Weight won't be an issue I just need something that will last and be reliable and won't overheat after 4 years of use while playing games and all that jazz.  Even if after the 4 years if its obsolete and I can't run things at max settings thats fine as long as I can run the game period.  If the 980M performs that much better then it sounds like it will be worth the extra $100 for the g751jy.  I might have to wait a little bit but thats fine since I don't plan on getting it until December time frame. 

Weight won't be an issue I just need something that will last and be reliable and won't overheat after 4 years of use while playing games and all that jazz.

I might have to wait a little bit but thats fine since I don't plan on getting it until December time frame. 

Save up more, buy the P770ZM. Much better than anything ASUS can conceive of, and stuff isn't soldered in it.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9773s-clevo-p770zmg-eta-08042015-p-8305.html

This has GTX series GPUs which are more suitable for gaming.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Odd, it usually has GTX GPUs. I guess the P770ZM-G is the only one that uses consumer GPUs now? Either way, you get Gsync so...

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9773-clevo-p770zmg-eta-08042015-p-8299.html?wconfigure=yes

You can buy it from Sager through Xotic, but you can also buy it from Eurocom or Pro-Star computing or Mythlogic or wherever else you want. Clevos are rebranded by many many companies (including Origin PC and iBuyPower, but don't buy from them, because they're overpriced and don't even know what they're selling half the time) so if you see the same machine elsewhere, it should be fine.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Thanks I'll have to seriously look at them then.  I won't completely discount Asus's but I'm liking what I'm seeing from these guys. 

Thanks I'll have to seriously look at them then.  I won't completely discount Asus's but I'm liking what I'm seeing from these guys. 

Clevo is the way to go this cycle of hardware. The others fell behind drastically.

Yeah I think I'll go ahead with these guys only thing I'm going back and forth on is if the GTX980 is worth the extra $300.  I already decided I'll get the version with 16GB of RAM with the i7-4790 and with Windows 8.1 64 bit (which comes with a free upgrade to 10 when it comes out) it comes out to $1924.  I'm thinking at worst case I can always upgrade to the GTX980M a couple years down the road and it should run fine in the system but given my budget I really don't want to have to break $2,000 from the onset. 

Yeah I think I'll go ahead with these guys only thing I'm going back and forth on is if the GTX980 is worth the extra $300.  I already decided I'll get the version with 16GB of RAM with the i7-4790 and with Windows 8.1 64 bit (which comes with a free upgrade to 10 when it comes out) it comes out to $1924.  I'm thinking at worst case I can always upgrade to the GTX980M a couple years down the road and it should run fine in the system but given my budget I really don't want to have to break $2,000 from the onset. 

Get 8.1 pro, because win 10 home is user locked down and stuff.

You can upgrade the GPU past 980M (whatever the next release is) if you want, I'm sure.

See if you can eke out for 1866MHz CL10 RAM (or CL9 1600MHz) as the default is a bit slow.

If you're going to school, check out Eurocom (it's called the P7 Pro) and see if you get to use their discount. Might work out to be cheaper.

Get 8.1 pro, because win 10 home is user locked down and stuff.

You can upgrade the GPU past 980M (whatever the next release is) if you want, I'm sure.

See if you can eke out for 1866MHz CL10 RAM (or CL9 1600MHz) as the default is a bit slow.

If you're going to school, check out Eurocom (it's called the P7 Pro) and see if you get to use their discount. Might work out to be cheaper.

I did all the same specs on the Eurocom and it came out slightly more expensive than the one from Xotic which came out to be $2024 where I was also able to include a SSD.  I think I'll go with the Xotic one and just wait a bit longer since I won't be getting it until December anyways.  The general specs I'll go with will be GTX970M, Intel core i7-4790, 16GB RAM-1866Mhz, Windows 8.1 Pro, 120GB BX 100 series SSD (I already also have a 1TB external drive as well for additional storage).  That should have me set for awhile and leaves room for upgrades where it counts.