Should I throw out my Nexus 4?

tengarp

So a little backstory here, I usually sleep with my nexus 4 near my on my bed and usually nothing happens. This morning however, I woke up and my found my phone looking like this. Now I don't know if this is just because the back cover popped out or because somehow the battery expanded but the phone was still able to turn on so at least I know it is still functional. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

Displays 2 old 1080p Acer and Samsung ones Cooling Corsair H60

† TTCF Member †

It's probably just the battery. Get a replacement and replace it.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Well the first step would be trying to look if the battery expanded. 

If not it must have just popped out from a corner impact etc. 

Should I then attempt to remove the whole back cover? Since it's glass I would assume I can't really just remove a bit and bend it back.

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

† TTCF Member †

Switch off

Open back

Check battery ( maybe replace ) 

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

Should I then attempt to remove the whole back cover? Since it's glass I would assume I can't really just remove a bit and bend it back.

It probably pops out ( check a teardown guide )

The rear shell is removable. Not the glass part, the plastic rear shell. Look at the link in the post you quoted. 

Well on the bright side. If it explodes randomly then you know it was the battery.

"LTT's official.."STOP. I promise you aren't LTT's official bagel eater or whatever. Trust me. 

Well on the bright side. If it explodes randomly then you know it was the battery.

haha, ya well that's what i was hoping I could avoid :P

† TTCF Member †

The rear shell is removable. Not the glass part, the plastic rear shell. Look at the link in the post you quoted. 

Oh ok sorry I didn't see that, thanks for the help!

† TTCF Member †

I had a Nexus 4 once and it does have a bad battery heat issue. Be really careful, get some eye protection, if that thing blows, you will get glass and the battery chemical everywhere. DO NOT WAIT TO LONG!

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

I had a Nexus 4 once and it does have a bad battery heat issue. Be really careful, get some eye protection, if that thing blows, you will get glass and the battery chemical everywhere. DO NOT WAIT TO LONG!

Oh jeez ok well ill keep it in my garage or something while I go out and get the tools to remove the battery I guess

† TTCF Member †

Switch off

Open back

Check battery ( maybe replace ) 

What is the proper way to throw away this battery and how to I get a replacement?

† TTCF Member †

What is the proper way to throw away this battery and how to I get a replacement?

Seal in a plastic container ( or metal if it corrodes the plastic ) and drop off at recycling plant ( we have those in the EU )

Replacement : direct from manufacturer or ebay