Need Help Troubleshooting

Oshtro
Go to solution Solved by MatthewFisher,

there should be two lights on your Ethernet port on your computer and your router one is an activity light this blinks orange if data is sent and received (this is the bottom light) the top light is if you have connectivity if red that means there is no connection this could be caused by two ip addressees being the same on the network try to change your ip address on the network.

Everything was fine only a few hours ago, but this morning after turning back on my computer I noticed that programs werent fully connecting to the internet. For example, Battle.net loaded everything but didnt log me in. My router is working fine, as far as wifi goes but my ethernet cable has the red light next to it no matter with port its plugged in to BUT if i unplug and replug from my pc i get about 20 seconds of connection. The ethernet cable has no defects in it and windows is saying the entire time that I have a full connection. I opened steam, which took a good minute or two to load, and the game updates are showing a really spotty connection as it was fluctuating up and down and turning off completly periodicly. It doesnt seem to be the router since everything but my ethernet is working, and it doesnt seem to be the cable itself. Any ideas on what could be causing this and how to fix it?

i7 4790K @4.7GHz; MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition; Klevv Neo 4x4Gb 2400Mhz; PNY GeForce GTX 980; Crucial M500 240GB SSD; Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD; Corsair RM750; NZXT Kraken X61 

there should be two lights on your Ethernet port on your computer and your router one is an activity light this blinks orange if data is sent and received (this is the bottom light) the top light is if you have connectivity if red that means there is no connection this could be caused by two ip addressees being the same on the network try to change your ip address on the network.

Everything was fine only a few hours ago, but this morning after turning back on my computer I noticed that programs werent fully connecting to the internet. For example, Battle.net loaded everything but didnt log me in. My router is working fine, as far as wifi goes but my ethernet cable has the red light next to it no matter with port its plugged in to BUT if i unplug and replug from my pc i get about 20 seconds of connection. The ethernet cable has no defects in it and windows is saying the entire time that I have a full connection. I opened steam, which took a good minute or two to load, and the game updates are showing a really spotty connection as it was fluctuating up and down and turning off completly periodicly. It doesnt seem to be the router since everything but my ethernet is working, and it doesnt seem to be the cable itself. Any ideas on what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Have you tried changing the Ethernet to different ports on your router? Otherwise try to ping a website in your command prompt try Ping www.youtube.com this will tell you if any packets are being lost.

Have you tried changing the Ethernet to different ports on your router? Otherwise try to ping a website in your command prompt try Ping www.youtube.com this will tell you if any packets are being lost.

I have tried changing Ethernet ports on my router, tried pinging a website and got a 100% loss.

i7 4790K @4.7GHz; MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition; Klevv Neo 4x4Gb 2400Mhz; PNY GeForce GTX 980; Crucial M500 240GB SSD; Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD; Corsair RM750; NZXT Kraken X61 

I have tried changing Ethernet ports on my router, tried pinging a website and got a 100% loss.

Have you tried replacing the Ethernet cable 

Check with other devices your phone and wifi or a laptop if the packet loss is just isolated to your PC or if it is due to the router.

Call your ISP, tell them you are losing packets if its the router.

If its not, try to find the drivers for your MoBo's  LanChipset, reinstall them. 

Next is the cable itself, get a new one.

Finally, try connecting a different device through LAN, maybe its the splitter whats fucking you up.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Apparently two ip addresses was the problem, which is weird since i set everything to automatically obtain their ip's. I never would of thought to check this so thanks for the tip.

Check with other devices your phone and wifi or a laptop if the packet loss is just isolated to your PC or if it is due to the router.

Call your ISP, tell them you are losing packets if its the router.

If its not, try to find the drivers for your MoBo's  LanChipset, reinstall them. 

Next is the cable itself, get a new one.

Finally, try connecting a different device through LAN, maybe its the splitter whats fucking you up.

Thanks for the reply but i just got it fixed. :)

Apparently two ip addresses was the problem, which is weird since i set everything to automatically obtain their ip's. I never would of thought to check this so thanks for the tip.

No problem hope the problem is fixed  :)

Thanks for the reply but i just got it fixed. :)

what was the problem? how did you fix it? may be reference for the future :P

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

what was the problem? how did you fix it? may be reference for the future :P

Clone IP address' on two devices on my network. So I made sure my ipv4 was set to automatic and reset my computer to get a new ip.