PlayStation 4 RAM fraud

So this is what ive found about. People say that for PlayStation 4 OS just little 3.5 gigs of ram will be used. Which left us with awesome 4.5, and there is "flex" system memory. That "Flex" memory is 1 gig of system memory that will be allocated to games when system doesn't need one. So beautiful 5.5 gigs of ram for gaming which is plenty but i wanted to see 7. But still it doesn't surprise me since PS4 is all about multitasking. Here is a video explaining the trailer.

What do you think?

Sony hasn't confirmed these rumors so i wouldn't be to hasty. Even if the os uses that much ram the ps4 will still be better than the xbox shitter.  :D

I won't call it a fraud as you still getting that 8gb of ram and at their conference,they never say that you will be able to use all 8gb for gaming.

What the hell is the OS doing with 3.5Gb of RAM anyways?

Holding the last 15 minutes of gameplay? Holding that much video takes up quite a bit of space.

Maybe that always recording and decoding.

Holding the last 15 minutes of gameplay? Holding that much video takes up quite a bit of space.

I hope that this doesn't become like the 360's hard drive thing, where they won't make a game that won't operate without a hard drive for 360, except in this case it would be "We could push a bit more here, but all games must support the 'Share' feature, so that memory must be kept aside, we won't give the option for developers to omit that feature"

Do you know what the situation is with the Xbox One? I know it has slower memory, but I didn't see them showing any kind of constant recording feature.

I hope that this doesn't become like the 360's hard drive thing, where they won't make a game that won't operate without a hard drive for 360, except in this case it would be "We could push a bit more here, but all games must support the 'Share' feature, so that memory must be kept aside, we won't give the option for developers to omit that feature"

Do you know what the situation is with the Xbox One? I know it has slower memory, but I didn't see them showing any kind of constant recording feature.

They do actually but only for 5 minutes while ps4 record for 15 minutes.

They do actually but only for 5 minutes while ps4 record for 15 minutes.

So we are essentially looking at RAM drive creation when you launch either of these things, kind of sneaky they are kind of implying all 8GB is free to be used by applications.

Samsung had a recent incident with the Galaxy SIV where a lot of the system memory was in use from the factory, there was quite a backlash about that.

Again, this is all rumour and speculation. Previous rumours suggested that 1GB of RAM was reserved for the PlayStation 4's OS whilst the other 7 was available to games - I would assume that this 'flexible' memory would account for the rest of that.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

So we are essentially looking at RAM drive creation when you launch either of these things, kind of sneaky they are kind of implying all 8GB is free to be used by applications.

Samsung had a recent incident with the Galaxy SIV where a lot of the system memory was in use from the factory, there was quite a backlash about that.

Nothing new, all the android 'make ups' by manufacturers make Android look bad. Pure Android all the way and it's a beautiful baby then.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Nothing new, all the android 'make ups' by manufacturers make Android look bad. Pure Android all the way and it's a beautiful baby then.

I use a Galaxy Nexus, it updated to Android 4.3 just a few days ago, and I think that Jelly Bean is a very good OS in it's stock form, my display background is jet black so that the lock screen and space between icons is super clean, and I tend to favour OLED screens for this reason (no backlight to make black things grey). I'll upgrade when this device stops getting updates but not before, I am perfectly happy with the GNex, it's a little sluggish sometimes but for most things it's still super snappy, each update seems to offer improvement, unlike iOS that despite updating old devices, really slows them to a crawl. (yes I was an iPhone user from the 3GS to the 5, I tried a GNex on 4.1 and immediately sold the iPhone 5 and bought one) I have been a pure android user since the launch weekend of the iPhone 5.

I use a Galaxy Nexus, it updated to Android 4.3 just a few days ago, and I think that Jelly Bean is a very good OS in it's stock form, my display background is jet black so that the lock screen and space between icons is super clean, and I tend to favour OLED screens for this reason (no backlight to make black things grey). I'll upgrade when this device stops getting updates but not before, I am perfectly happy with the GNex, it's a little sluggish sometimes but for most things it's still super snappy, each update seems to offer improvement, unlike iOS that despite updating old devices, really slows them to a crawl. (yes I was an iPhone user from the 3GS to the 5, I tried a GNex on 4.1 and immediately sold the iPhone 5 and bought one) I have been a pure android user since the launch weekend of the iPhone 5.

Android 4.3 added TRIM to operations on read/write of the memory so you may start seeing improvements with device speed over time as the old memory sections get properly rewritten.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Android 4.3 added TRIM to operations on read/write of the memory so you may start seeing improvements with device speed over time as the old memory sections get properly rewritten.

I am considering formatting the phone and using a fresh 4.3 install as I've used the device heavily since I've had it, so it's possible the NAND on my phone is mess like some of the Nexus 7s, what's your opinion on that, do you think it's necessary? I don't know very much about flash memory yet and could use some advice there, and I don't mind formatting at all if it's going to offer benefits.

Many thanks.

I am considering formatting the phone and using a fresh 4.3 install as I've used the device heavily since I've had it, so it's possible the NAND on my phone is mess like some of the Nexus 7s, what's your opinion on that, do you think it's necessary? I don't know very much about flash memory yet and could use some advice there, and I don't mind formatting at all if it's going to offer benefits.

Many thanks.

Formatting (as in reverting to Factory settings) is always good for clearing all temporary stuff you brought during daily usage of phone however it is a brutal thing to do and the way I read about this TRIM feature Google introduced, it will work without formatting but it will be slowly used as you override/overwrite old partitions which in case you dont always reinstall stuff, may not happen at all.

Supposidly GDDR5 although good for gaming isn't  good for system running which is why its not efficient and uses more than it should, not sure why they didn't use seperate DDR3 for the system and the entire GDDR5 for the gfx. 4.5Gb of GDDR5 though is still more than most gfx card out at the moment and if programmers are going to be coding for multiple cpu cores it can only help the pc side of things utilise more cores as i believe most games at the moment don't really use cores, or virtual cores effectively

• 3 weeks later...

this seems a little odd to me, Sony isn't doing anything stupid like needing 3 operating systems like X1 does so maybe this is like the max amount of memory the OS will use? Like with the whole 15 mins gamplay and your game stored in RAM when it's on standby. It's all rumors though so I'll believe it when Sony confirms it or when we get the machines ourselves.