3D Printer Purchasing Help?

Kyocobra
Go to solution Solved by CatCloud,

I think I'll just take the HICTOP Prusa I3 [Older Version]. Although the parts may not be high quality, assuming they get the job done, I can always print upgrades.

With a large heated bed, good PLA prints, decent ABS prints, all right to great customer service (as stated by Amazon reviews), unassembled shipment, and a saving of $70 (something a frugal SOB like me appreciates), I guess I have not realized how great this printer actually is.

Have fun with the calibration :) it is one of the hassle one have to go through.

Heated bed is a plus.

It's a good price for the size. Didn't Se what software it came with though, hope it's not replicatorG that thing is a buggy mess.

Edit: Oh it is replicatorG.... Good luck with that... I recommend Cura.

Hmmm I'd suggest you do more research on that model. Every printer tend to have some kind of issue.

(I hope this is in the correct subforum)

Anyway, so recently I have become interested in buying a 3D printer with the intent of learning modeling programs along with creating rad plastic gadgetry.

In my research, I have come across--in my opinion--a fairly difficult decision. My price range is $330 - $430.

On one hand, there is the HICTOP Prusa I3 [Older Version] (Amazon) for $360, with both good reviews (decent prints) and negative reviews (mainly about build quality in terms of material and packaging issues as well as terrible instructions). It has a heated bed, supports PLA and ABS, which is pretty neat, and ships in pieces meaning that I get to build it myself and learn about it; but if you go to their website (at least I think it is their website), their slightly mangled English,although entertaining to read, seems a little sketchy to me.

wy6aTRk.jpg

Picture']

Then, on the opposite side of the budget spectrum, there is the Duplicator I3 ($430), a fairly recent model by Wanhao USA. It offers apparently more reliable parts, more filament options, a definite warranty, and (like the HICTOP) a heated bed. This is cool, but it is pre-assembled and has slightly less build space--and that price tag is just straight on the border (I will pay no higher).

YE3ySWA.png

So I suppose this is not a battle between the HICTOP and the Duplicator, but rather a representation of my top hits while searching for the perfect printer. What I really want is some good ol' LTT advice and recommendations for printers within my price range, so is there anyone willing to help me out?

I would prefer printers to:

Have at least good PLA prints

Be unassembled

Have a heated bed

Have decent build quality and reliable parts

Have a reasonably sized print area

Have at least decent ABS prints

-Sorry in advance if I am ill-informed about 3D printers and how they do their do 

Semi-cool guy

I think I'll just take the HICTOP Prusa I3 [Older Version]. Although the parts may not be high quality, assuming they get the job done, I can always print upgrades.

With a large heated bed, good PLA prints, decent ABS prints, all right to great customer service (as stated by Amazon reviews), unassembled shipment, and a saving of $70 (something a frugal SOB like me appreciates), I guess I have not realized how great this printer actually is.

Semi-cool guy

I think I'll just take the HICTOP Prusa I3 [Older Version]. Although the parts may not be high quality, assuming they get the job done, I can always print upgrades.

Have fun with the calibration :) it is one of the hassle one have to go through.

Heated bed is a plus.

It's a good price for the size. Didn't Se what software it came with though, hope it's not replicatorG that thing is a buggy mess.

Edit: Oh it is replicatorG.... Good luck with that... I recommend Cura.

Hmmm I'd suggest you do more research on that model. Every printer tend to have some kind of issue.

I would do more extensive research, but the naming of the product is so indistinguishable between others that I can't find any information too valuable.

And thanks for the heads up. Also, it seems like I can use just any software, so wouldn't I be able to download some free open source modeler and slicer? Or do most printers require a specific program?

Semi-cool guy

It comes with ReplicatorG, and they even spelled it wrong!  :P

UmZPcwR.png

Semi-cool guy

I would do more extensive research, but the naming of the product is so indistinguishable between others that I can't find any information too valuable.

And thanks for the heads up. Also, it seems like I can use just any software, so wouldn't I be able to download some free open source modeler and slicer? Or do most printers require a specific program?

RepG is the printer software not modeling software.

Well...im not so sure, out of experience I haven't had any luck changing printing software.

I was able to connect to mine with cura, load a 3d model and press print.

.... And nothing happened.... It just sits there.

Maybe mine is just stupid or I'm missing something.

For the record I have weistek 3d printer.

Lol... Saw the misspell, I'm going to guess these people are Asians..... Now you Really need to check up on the company!