Considering Returning MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G

Hi all,

I've recently gotten the MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G to complement my first computer build :D. Although after playing with it for a week and a half I've noticed that it's very sub-par compared to other people's MSI Gaming 980 Ti's. I've seen reviews where people can push it to 1500MHz or damn near 1500MHz stable, and something like 300 on the memory and have it be 100% stable. I can't even push my card past 75MHz (and no OC on the memory, haven't really seen a benefit to memory OCing) with it being 100% stable. My power limit is at 110% and temp limit is at 73C w/ custom fan curve (100% speed @ 73C, off <45C) and I still can't OC past 80MHz, even with added voltage. 

I've noticed though, that the voltage is capped @ 1.224V? I've done some research on this and other cards are (I assume) capped @ 1.224V, from nVidia. My ASIC score is 65.7%, which means that my card will OC better under water (because it needs extra voltage to OC better), so I've been looking around for a BIOS that unlocks the voltage so that I can do that. 

Overclocking this thing is insane imo (but I want the extra performance :P), since I'm only playing on 1 1080p monitor and 1 17-inch 1024x768 monitor (I use for like Skype and twitch dashboard and stuff), the 980 Ti will last me years, I hope, considering the investment I put into it. 

I know that I probably don't need to overclock this to get the best performance, but I want to try to squeeze as much performance out of this card as possible. And since I'm in my 30-day return period, I am currently considering just plain up returning it for a replacement (I got it @ newegg, so that's the only return policy they have. suits me) and hoping I get a better overclocker. 

Does anybody here have any suggestions on how to improve my OC chances with this sub-par overclocking card, or any overclocking tips in general to try to push this card as far as I can? And does anybody also have any feedback on this? I'm seriously considering returning this card to get another one and hopefully that will be a better overclocker (I'm going to avoid mentioning higher ASIC score as apparently that's somewhat irrelevant to overclocking results?)

It would be a massive help if anybody helped me with this!

Cheers!

-Duncan

OfficialJsP is right, as your graphics card is more than likely falling into the 10-15% of the newer types of graphics cards that cannot achieve a significant overclock. (10-15% is just a guess). However, I would recommend that you don't try to overvolt your graphics card for the extra performance, and instead see if flipping the BIOS switch on your card will do the trick, as I believe that your card has a dual bios, and other people have unlocked voltages.

Heyyo,

Is yours the stock cooler or a non-reference cooler? Those model differences could mean a lot on your performance.

By the sounds of it? Yours could be potentially a stock cooler but you should still be able to overclock... hmmm.. BIOS update? Check settings in BIOS too?

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Hi all,

I've recently gotten the MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G to complement my first computer build :D. Although after playing with it for a week and a half I've noticed that it's very sub-par compared to other people's MSI Gaming 980 Ti's. I've seen reviews where people can push it to 1500MHz or damn near 1500MHz stable, and something like 300 on the memory and have it be 100% stable. I can't even push my card past 75MHz (and no OC on the memory, haven't really seen a benefit to memory OCing) with it being 100% stable. My power limit is at 110% and temp limit is at 73C w/ custom fan curve (100% speed @ 73C, off <45C) and I still can't OC past 80MHz, even with added voltage. 

I've noticed though, that the voltage is capped @ 1.224V? I've done some research on this and other cards are (I assume) capped @ 1.224V, from nVidia. My ASIC score is 65.7%, which means that my card will OC better under water (because it needs extra voltage to OC better), so I've been looking around for a BIOS that unlocks the voltage so that I can do that. 

Overclocking this thing is insane imo (but I want the extra performance :P), since I'm only playing on 1 1080p monitor and 1 17-inch 1024x768 monitor (I use for like Skype and twitch dashboard and stuff), the 980 Ti will last me years, I hope, considering the investment I put into it. 

I know that I probably don't need to overclock this to get the best performance, but I want to try to squeeze as much performance out of this card as possible. And since I'm in my 30-day return period, I am currently considering just plain up returning it for a replacement (I got it @ newegg, so that's the only return policy they have. suits me) and hoping I get a better overclocker. 

Does anybody here have any suggestions on how to improve my OC chances with this sub-par overclocking card, or any overclocking tips in general to try to push this card as far as I can? And does anybody also have any feedback on this? I'm seriously considering returning this card to get another one and hopefully that will be a better overclocker (I'm going to avoid mentioning higher ASIC score as apparently that's somewhat irrelevant to overclocking results?)

Cheers!

-Duncan

Is it reaching 73ºC? cause IMHO that temp limit is kinda conservative, if you don't play with voltage is rare the card overheats anyway

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Ever heard of the silicon lottery? not every card is going to be able to overclock to the same speeds. I don't see any reason you should return it tbh.

oops :P forgot to mention that in the OP. I guess I lost the silicon lottery ... I mean maybe I can return it for the same card to get a better bin on the GPU for better OC's. Maybe. 

Hi all,

Cheers!

-Duncan

also, i dont wanna be a dick, but you can't return a GPU cause it won't overclock, it's not in the gurantee, the specs you see on the box is the only ones that are assured

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Heyyo,

Is yours the stock cooler or a non-reference cooler? Those model differences could mean a lot on your performance.

By the sounds of it? Yours could be potentially a stock cooler but you should still be able to overclock... hmmm.. BIOS update? Check settings in BIOS too?

The card I have is the MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G Card, it has MSI's Twin Frozr V cooler on there. I've checked BIOS things already, I was considering (and might still be) considering modding the BIOS to remove the voltage cap... 

OfficialJsP is right, as your graphics card is more than likely falling into the 10-15% of the newer types of graphics cards that cannot achieve a significant overclock. (10-15% is just a guess). However, I would recommend that you don't try to overvolt your graphics card for the extra performance, and instead see if flipping the BIOS switch on your card will do the trick, as I believe that your card has a dual bios, and other people have unlocked voltages.

The card only has a single BIOS (checked on the card, there is no switch for it :P ) I have checked to see if the voltage is capped and it seems to be capped @ 1.224V. I might be considering doing a voltage unlock BIOS on the card, but then again you mentioned that overvolting won't help... 

I've tried it and it only gives me a couple MHz performance boost, so I would generally assume that that's correct ... 

Is it reaching 73ºC? cause IMHO that temp limit is kinda conservative, if you don't play with voltage is rare the card overheats anyway

I know it's very conservative, although I'm not that comfortable with it going above 75C. I capped it @ 73C (sometimes goes all the way up to 75C) maybe just for the summer (I'll see) as it's in a very small case (Fractal Node 804). People have told me that the 70's are "average", but I don't want this card to die on me at all, as it was almost $750 for me to pick up lol...

also, i dont wanna be a dick, but you can't return a GPU cause it won't overclock, it's not in the gurantee, the specs you see on the box is the only ones that are assured

Lol no offense taken, it's just that Newegg has a "return for replacement" policy (is this RMA?) , I haven't looked into it too too carefully but I'm pretty sure you're correct...

The card only has a single BIOS (checked on the card, there is no switch for it :P ) I have checked to see if the voltage is capped and it seems to be capped @ 1.224V. I might be considering doing a voltage unlock BIOS on the card, but then again you mentioned that overvolting won't help... 

I've tried it and it only gives me a couple MHz performance boost, so I would generally assume that that's correct ... 

You can get a performance increase, but overvolting will shorted your card's life expectancy...

You said you wanted it to last a few years, but with overvolting....

But overvolting old cards is awesome, as I have an r9 270x (I know, I know), and I overvolted it to the max and modded it's voltage cap so it's +200 mv, so It's at 1345 mhz right now, and has a 15-25 fps boost in bf4.

Heyyo,

The card I have is the MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G Card, it has MSI's Twin Frozr V cooler on there. I've checked BIOS things already, I was considering (and might still be) considering modding the BIOS to remove the voltage cap...

Eh, before voiding warranty? How old is the card?

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx?nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-Branding-_-Main-_-ReturnPolicy&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_rytBRDVhZeQrbzn_q0BEiQAjnbSHNxervq4kY_mc1riT3RQdR9wnabMIgDKUgvcmRnBegAaAgSK8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I think GPUs fall under standard which is 30 days... maybe return the MSI one and get an EVGA (ACX 2.0 ftw), Gigabyte card or Asus???

Heyyo,

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

You can get a performance increase, but overvolting will shorted your card's life expectancy...

You said you wanted it to last a few years, but with overvolting....

But overvolting old cards is awesome, as I have an r9 270x (I know, I know), and I overvolted it to the max and modded it's voltage cap so it's +200 mv, so It's at 1345 mhz right now, and has a 15-25 fps boost in bf4.

Lol nice! I know overvolting will do that, I only did for about a week to try to figure out where my GPU landed in the OC land, and that was around 75 to 80MHz with or without overvolting, so I just left it @ stock voltage. And yea you do bring up a good point I want it to last as long as I can, as my build cost almost $2k, don't want it to die on me :P

Heyyo,

Eh, before voiding warranty? How old is the card?

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx?nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-Branding-_-Main-_-ReturnPolicy&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_rytBRDVhZeQrbzn_q0BEiQAjnbSHNxervq4kY_mc1riT3RQdR9wnabMIgDKUgvcmRnBegAaAgSK8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I think GPUs fall under standard which is 30 days... maybe return the MSI one and get an EVGA (ACX 2.0 ftw), Gigabyte card or Asus???

I got the card on the 9th, so it's like a week and a half old, and I might, but I have a black/red/white thing going on here, and I wanted to keep that theme w/ the GPU (one of the biggest parts in the case lol). I also think the Fractal Node 804 only supports cards up to 11 inches in length, so that's also a consideration if I'm going to return for replacement.

Now by "return for replacement" does that mean I can return it for another MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming? Or another graphics card for around the same price on Newegg? A little confused on that now that you bring this up (thanks for doing that ahaha)

EDIT: Newegg return policy is one month, and MSI warranty (serial-based, awesome) is three years. Only modified the card in software, haven't put like a waterblock or anything on it, so haven't voided warranty yet :D

Heyyo,

I got the card on the 9th, so it's like a week and a half old, and I might, but I have a black/red/white thing going on here, and I wanted to keep that theme w/ the GPU (one of the biggest parts in the case lol). I also think the Fractal Node 804 only supports cards up to 11 inches in length, so that's also a consideration if I'm going to return for replacement.

Now by "return for replacement" does that mean I can return it for another MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming? Or another graphics card for around the same price on Newegg? A little confused on that now that you bring this up (thanks for doing that ahaha)

Return for replacement is yes, swapping it for the same card. Return for Refund is getting your money back and then purchasing a new card.

Tbh? I've been using EVGA cards forever and they've always been good to me and wish I was on ACX 2.0 right meow... my GTX 680 2GB SLI setup with stock coolers gets toasty and that's even with using the top and bottom slots of my tri-SLI motherboard.

Heyyo,

Heyyo,

Return for replacement is yes, swapping it for the same card. Return for Refund is getting your money back and then purchasing a new card.

Tbh? I've been using EVGA cards forever and they've always been good to me and wish I was on ACX 2.0 right meow... my GTX 680 2GB SLI setup with stock coolers gets toasty and that's even with using the top and bottom slots of my tri-SLI motherboard.

Yea, the card I have only has a "return for replacement" return policy. I cry every time. If only EVGA released red cards ... 

Would it still be worth it to return and get another one and see if I got a better OC? Since now my question is under what conditions you can return it. (Any condition, RMA, etc...) I checked Newegg's return policy yesterday and I don't think I saw anything on there a/b it... Hmm ...

What does it clock up to? In Unigine Valley at 1440p Ultra mine gets like 63.5 at 1450Mhz and 64.0 at 1500Mhz if it makes you feel better, theres not really that much difference.

Yea, the card I have only has a "return for replacement" return policy. I cry every time. If only EVGA released red cards ... 

Would it still be worth it to return and get another one and see if I got a better OC? Since now my question is under what conditions you can return it. (Any condition, RMA, etc...) I checked Newegg's return policy yesterday and I don't think I saw anything on there a/b it... Hmm ...

Heyyo,

Hmm safest bet? Call them brah. It seems crazy to me there isn't at least a 15 days return policy... I'm sure it's 30 days but call them, they might ask invoice number and stuff so have that at the ready.

Asus also makes red cards with the Strix lineup. but the dark grey on the ACX 2.0 is smexy... if you feel brave? You could always spraypaint with plastidip spray cans. I'd recommend plastidip in case you don't like how it turns out and you can just peel it off. Most people use it for cars but pfft! Screw that! PC MASTER RACE! :)

Heyyo,

What does it clock up to? In Unigine Valley at 1440p Ultra mine gets like 63.5 at 1450Mhz and 64.0 at 1500Mhz if it makes you feel better, theres not really that much difference.

But that's @ 1440P. I only have a 1080p monitor and a 1024x768 monitor that's for status things (skype, twitch dashboard, etc.) Probably would see more of a performance boost in 1080p, but yes it does make me feel a little bit better ahaha..

On stock clocks (I turned up the power limit to 109% and lowered temp limit to 73C), boosts up to around 1316MHz. 

With MSI's gaming app, though, if you turn on "OC" mode, it adds like +50 to core and +25 to memory or something like that...

At 1080p you're wasting your time with a 980Ti full stop, you'll be able to max any game with like 8x MSAA anyway so whats the point?

Heyyo,

Hmm safest bet? Call them brah. It seems crazy to me there isn't at least a 15 days return policy... I'm sure it's 30 days but call them, they might ask invoice number and stuff so have that at the ready.

Asus also makes red cards with the Strix lineup. but the dark grey on the ACX 2.0 is smexy... if you feel brave? You could always spraypaint with plastidip spray cans. I'd recommend plastidip in case you don't like how it turns out and you can just peel it off. Most people use it for cars but pfft! Screw that! PC MASTER RACE! :)

#pcmasterraceFTW

I was just looking @ the Strix, damn it looks like a good card. I unfortunately can't get it though. My MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming only has 2 fans and it's damn near the intake fans of my case, as my case (again, Fractal Node 804) only supports GPUs up to 11 inches, and I think the Strix is somewhere near 16 inches? But it looks reallllyyyy gooddddddddd...

I would prefer to chat w/ Newegg thru tech support if they have it, phone calls don't really work out for me too often :PPP I'll find out though. (hopefully)... Any other card other than the MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming would you guys recommend? (In terms of OC, boost, MOST IMPORTANTLY temps [as i have a tiny case], and also extremely important looks [cost doesn't matter too much as long as it's not too expensive compared to reference...])

:P

At 1080p you're wasting your time with a 980Ti full stop, you'll be able to max any game with like 8x MSAA anyway so whats the point?

ehehehehe I know... I wanted to get the most powerful card I could get with my build so that I don't have to upgrade it for years, since it will eventually fall to its knees in the future and will run like all the older cards ... 

What's with all these people returning graphics cards because they don't overclock as high as they like, is this some new homemade binning process?

Its one thing to return something if its defective, or blatantly not as advertised(like the gtx 970 and its 4 gigabytes of MOSTLY useable VRAM), or it doesn't reach the advertised clock speed. But returning a card and demanding a refund because it doesn't go far enough beyond the factory overclock it was set at for your personal liking just seems like blatant abuse of a refund policy to me.

I could maybe sort of sympathize if the thing didn't overclock at all, or just some measely amount, but people are demanding refunds because it doesn't achieve some extreme overclock.

And to top it off the guy has a 1080p monitor. So hes outraged hes only getting 162 FPS in BF4 instead of 169?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

What's with all these people returning graphics cards because they don't overclock as high as they like, is this some new homemade binning process?

Its one thing to return something if its defective, or blatantly not as advertised(like the gtx 970 and its 4 gigabytes of MOSTLY useable VRAM), or it doesn't reach the advertised clock speed. But returning a card and demanding a refund because it doesn't go far enough beyond the factory overclock it was set at for your personal liking just seems like blatant abuse of a refund policy to me.

I could maybe sort of sympathize if the thing didn't overclock at all, or just some measely amount, but people are demanding refunds because it doesn't achieve some extreme overclock.

And to top it off the guy has a 1080p monitor. So hes outraged hes only getting 162 FPS in BF4 instead of 169?

:P I don't have BF4 but I see your point. I mean I tried running a ~1450MHz OC on my card, ran stable for about 10 minutes before it crashed. I saw almost a 20% FPS improvement in GTAV @ 1080p. That's primarily why I want to OC my card, to get those extra FPS. It's even better since OC's scale better on 1080p other than 1440p and 4K...

I mean I'm still in the return period so why not? :PPP

@AGuyWhoIsBored

It's actually not a waste. Have you heard of DSR? ;) It allows the GPU to render the game at a higher resolution (1440 or 4k) and then downscale it to your native resolution (1080p int his case). The benefits? Clearer, sharper, higher image quality requiring far less AA which looks quite a lot better (IMO) that running native 1080p even with full AA.

In my own experience, I run most of my games with VSR (AMD's version of DSR) at 1440p high-ultra (depending on the game) with little to no AA on an R9 290. Games look much better and because I don't need to run so much AA, it doesn't take much of a performance hit either. 

Point is; there is justification to running a high-end GPU on a single 1080p display. While using DSR/VSR, the GPU is actually rendering the game/scene at that higher resolution (thus, requiring that kind of high-end GPU muscle), then downsampling to give you a better image vs rendering at native. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS