CPU temps really high.

ker2015

This is about the 5th time I've started up my computer (the other four had even worse temps):

975d42efedc1d5746fea8e7fdc62c0c7.jpg

The temperature stays in the 60's for a bit and then rapidly increases until it reaches around 96 degrees Celsius before I shut down.

My build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RTFcLk

PLEASE HELP,

Chickenpuffball

UPDATE: The motherboard didn't identify the right tempuratures. The tempuratures actually never went above 45 degrees Celsius. :)

Tried re-seating the cooler? Remembered the thermal paste?

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

have you tried to apply new thermal grease? 

Did you take off the plastic cover on the cooler if there happened to be one? Mount the cooler correctly. Reapply thermal paste. Plug in the fan.

Tried re-seating the cooler? Remembered the thermal paste?

Yep, I reinstalled the cooler. The thermal paste came pre-installed.

Is it the stock cooler?

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

is the fan on the cooler working? 

try new termal paste

have you tried to apply new thermal grease?

If I don't fix the issue in the next hour or so, I will buy new thermal paste.

Did you take off the plastic cover on the cooler if there happened to be one? Mount the cooler correctly. Reapply thermal paste. Plug in the fan.

Did everything besides add new thermal paste.

is the fan on the cooler working?

try new termal paste

Yep, the fan is working.

Do that. Check your mounting to make sure it's evenly on.

No, H60 Liquid Cooler.

Yeah those usually come with a little sticker on the cooler, did you remove that?

Reusing thermal paste is generally a bad idea and using the cooler without one is even worse.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

No, H60 Liquid Cooler.

Did you plug the power for the pump?

Spoiler

Have you got another cooler you could try? Still would need thermal paste but still.

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

Do that. Check your mounting to make sure it's evenly on.

Yeah those usually come with a little sticker on the cooler, did you remove that?

I checked the mounting. And the sticker is removed.

Reusing thermal paste is generally a bad idea and using the cooler without one is even worse.

I meant that the cooler came with thermal paste pre-applied.

Have you got another cooler you could try? Still would need thermal paste but still.

I have the cooler which came with the CPU. I will go buy some thermal paste later. (For the H60)

I have the cooler which came with the CPU. I will go buy some thermal paste later. (For the H60)

Can you hear the pump working? I really suspect its not moving the liquid

Can you hear the pump working? I really suspect its not moving the liquid

The pumps are working. I felt one of the tubes and felt the water going downstream.

check to see what the voltage is set to in the bios when z97 came out a few boards would set the wrong voltage 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

check to see what the voltage is set to in the bios when z97 came out a few boards would set the wrong voltage

Where can I find the voltage in the Bios settings?

Where can I find the voltage in the Bios settings?

it will be in the extreme tweaker section in advanced  

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

it will be in the extreme tweaker section in advanced

What is a good voltage to be at?