Help with first build

tgpomy

Hey everyone.  I want to do a mini ITX build for college this year (don't have room for a full size tower), and I'd like to know your opinions on this one.  My goal is to play games like BF4, Battlefront, Fallout 4, etc..on a 42 inch TV, 1080p 60FPS Ultra settings for a few years.  I'm also not sure if 16GB RAM is necessary over 8GB.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($152.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB 100 Million Edition Video Card  ($339.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1232.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-29 00:56 EDT-0400

1.) Is this sufficient for my goals (1080, ~60 Ultra for a few years)?  

2.) How is the airflow/heat control in your opinion (I'm not good with this stuff)?  Will that CPU cooler work with my components/case?

Thanks for your help.

I wouldn't say 60 FPS ULTRA for a few years but I can Assure you it's going to be a solid Gaming pc for years to come.

CPU: I5 7400 | Motherboard: MSI H110M  | RAM: 16GB G-Skill 2400mhz  | GPU:  NVIDIA  MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 | Case: Tecware Quad | Cooling: Stock| Storage: Kingston 120gb SSD, 1TB Drive ,  | PSU: Seasonic 620 Watt 80+ Bronze Full Modular | Display: Devant 50 Inch Smart TV   | 

I wouldn't say 60 FPS ULTRA for a few years but I can Assure you it's going to be a solid Gaming pc for years to come.

Well, mostly Ultra.  I would turn down shadows and PhysX type stuff.

The only thing I'd do is drop to a i5-4690k and get a r9 390 or 390x

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

it's a pretty solid build. if your only gonna be doing gaming and no video editing or anything, i'd go down to an i5 instead of an i7 to save some money. i7's vs i5's for gaming have no difference in performance. i have an i5 4670k and is does great with gaming, but I'd suggest an i5 4690k over the 4670k. 

CPU: Core i7 4790k - CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - GPU: Asus GTX 980Ti - Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming - Ram: 20GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Storage: ADATA 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD & WD 1TB HDD 7200RPM - PSU: NZXT Hale90 V2 1000W Gold+ - Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo Black Exterior/White Interior - Display: Samsung 29" Curved Ultra Wide - Keyboard & Mouse: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate & Roccat Tyon - Sound: Razer Kraken USB Headphones, Blue Yeti, Logitech z313 Speakers

My only concern is if the MSI GTX 970 100ME will fit in the case, as it is a different size than the regular MSI 970.

My only concern is if the MSI GTX 970 100ME will fit in the case, as it is a different size than the regular MSI 970.

Does anyone have a recommended case to hold that card?  Haven't seen anyone with it.

If worst comes to worst, I suppose I could sell it and my 2 old 670s for a 980ti, since that'll fit. :/

Does anyone have a recommended case to hold that card?  Haven't seen anyone with it.

If worst comes to worst, I suppose I could sell it and my 2 old 670s for a 980ti, since that'll fit. :/

If anything grab the FuryX. It was made for small cases.

• you don't need an i7 for gaming. go with the i5 and overclock it
  • the h60 is enough to overclock the i5
  • got you cheaper ram that will be fine for your system and your goals
  • added a hybrid sshd @ 2tb that was close in price to your regular 2tb hdd
  • gigabyte 390 added because it performs better than the 970 at the same price point
  • added a better quality psu
  • if you want more performance and you can afford it, upgrade the gpu to a nvidia gtx 980 instead of the 390; that would be the next step up. the 980 beats the 390x and they are very similar in price. also you'll save money by buying the 980 over the 390x because it doesn't use as much power
  • since your case is small i recommend you always go with a fully modular psu

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($64.05 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($152.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($45.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($97.95 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Seagate  2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  ($89.88 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB SOC Video Card  ($329.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case  ($84.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($104.99 @ NCIX US)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($18.75 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1209.57

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-26 23:20 EDT-0400

BigDay

^Not a fan of AMD products, so I won't be getting their GPUs.  I've actually already got the 970 100ME, just don't know if it will fit in the 250D in terms of height.

What's wrong with the current PSU I have selected?

Anyone?  Will that GPU fit in the 250D?  Also, is the PSU I selected noisy?

Anyone?  Will that GPU fit in the 250D?  Also, is the PSU I selected noisy?

Check pcpartpicker. Find your gpu and your case, put them in a list, and it should tell you. PSU is a bad choice cause it isn't exactly top quality, and you can find better at this price. Also, the 970 is in no way going to last 60fps 1080p ultra for a few more years.

Check pcpartpicker. Find your gpu and your case, put them in a list, and it should tell you. PSU is a bad choice cause it isn't exactly top quality, and you can find better at this price. Also, the 970 is in no way going to last 60fps 1080p ultra for a few more years.

I think it'll last 1080p Ultra for 2 years or so when it is time to get Pascal.  Which PSU would you recommend for the price, the one BigDay listed above?

The question is, will the current MoBo/CPU be compatible with Pascal? :/

I think it'll last 1080p Ultra for 2 years or so when it is time to get Pascal. Which PSU would you recommend for the price, the one BigDay listed above?

The question is, will the current MoBo/CPU be compatible with Pascal? :/

Doesn't really matter what mobo/CPU combo it will work with pascal more than likely.,the one BigDay picked is perfect

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Here is my updated build, albeit without the GPU or SSD, since I have those already. Decided to switch case and go with a great air cooler, as I've decided that liquid cooling isn't for me.  Plus I've heard great things about this new case.  i7-4790k is only 279.99 at MicroCenter, so I'll stay with that CPU.  RAM is good?  

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Mwave) 
Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($152.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $889.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-28 01:19 EDT-0400

Added updated build to the OP.  I'm pretty set on the Noctua cooler (unless a NH-U14S is better?) now since they are supposedly incredibly effective, quiet, and have a 6 year warranty, though I wonder if it would fit in the 250D or if it is best to stick with the Enthoo EVOLV ITX.

Sorry for all of the updates. :/

• 2 weeks later...

So now that Skylake is trickling out, I think it would be best to just go with the i7-6700k and a Z170 Mobo, with 8GB of DDR4 RAM.  However, there are no mini ITX Z170 Motherboards at the moment, so that eliminates my ITX plan.  Are there any really solid form-factor microATX/ATX cases that I should consider for a Skylake build?

(Unless Skylake isn't worth spending extra for, of course)