Laptop help.

hey everyone i'm in need of a strong work laptop that will last at least 4 years. most likely will be using microsoft office. the school requires that it runs windows but i went to bestbuy and i was looking at the chromebook and they looks really nice the best buy rep was telling me about the chromebooks and the things he was telling me sounded like there better than a regular windows laptop.. my question to everyone is, is a chromebook better than a regular windows laptop comparing to working and school work? if it is what would you guys recommend for a chromebook? if it isn't what do you guys recommend for a good powerful laptop for work? that obviously runs windows

edit: sorry budget doesn't matter if i have to spend the money to get something real good and something that will last me atleast 4 years i will..

Budget? I personally just got a $250 laptop off amazon for prime day. It's got enough to do what I need and runs minecraft to kill time between the hour I have in classes. I'm going to early college 9th-12th grade. It's got a amazing keyboard, decent screen the up and down views are nice but side to side is bad. It's got a Dual Core Celeron ect ect and runs everything I need it to. You may want something a little more beefy though.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Get a XPS 13 or a Thinkpad X1 carbon, chromebooks are not great for what you want to do.

Get a XPS 13 or a Thinkpad X1 carbon, chromebooks are not great for what you want to do.

if its ok me asking why would a chromebook not be a good choice? 

Honestly, no, chrome books aren't better for me personally. I'd suggest telling us your budget and place where you're buying from.

Honestly, you can get some pretty neat stuff used as well.
I recently got the laptop in my sig for as little as 140 eu or about 175 USD. The downparts are a crappy battery and missing rubber stands which are both easily fixible. The thing runs SC2 @ 30 fps without going past 75*C at max load. I'm content.

EDIT: Also, do you intend to game on it or just for light workloads?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just get a good laptop by Asus or Lenovo. Even the cheaper ones are still pretty good.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Honestly, no, chrome books aren't better for me personally. I'd suggest telling us your budget and place where you're buying from.

Honestly, you can get some pretty neat stuff used as well.

I recently got the laptop in my sig for as little as 140 eu or about 175 USD. The downparts are a crappy battery and missing rubber stands which are both easily fixible. The thing runs SC2 @ 30 fps without going past 75*C at max load. I'm content.

EDIT: Also, do you intend to game on it or just for light workloads?

this laptop will be strictly for school/work i have a gaming rig already so. and i dont have a budget if that laptop costs 1500 ill pay 1500. i just want to make sure im getting a very good laptop that can handle tough workloads and most important last me atleast 4 years.

this laptop will be strictly for school/work i have a gaming rig already so. and i dont have a budget if that laptop costs 1500 ill pay 1500. i just want to make sure im getting a very good laptop that can handle tough workloads and most important last me atleast 4 years.

Touch workloads? Well, I'd suggest looking into something with an i7 in it and capable cooling. Honestly, if you are willing to pay a higher price, just get an Asus RoG lappy with an i7 and 860m inside. It can be taken to LAN events and gives you some much needed mobility. Say, if you go on vacation, you can bring it with you and use it to game while away from home. Those usually cost around 1000 USD but are well worth as they are almost guaranteed to have fantastic cooling and be able to be used to their fullest. Some even come with SSDs so yeah.

You can also consult this thread for reference on laptop quality.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/386018-laptop-experience/

Touch workloads? Well, I'd suggest looking into something with an i7 in it and capable cooling. Honestly, if you are willing to pay a higher price, just get an Asus RoG lappy with an i7 and 860m inside. It can be taken to LAN events and gives you some much needed mobility. Say, if you go on vacation, you can bring it with you and use it to game while away from home. Those usually cost around 1000 USD but are well worth as they are almost guaranteed to have fantastic cooling and be able to be used to their fullest. Some even come with SSDs so yeah.

You can also consult this thread for reference on laptop quality.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/386018-laptop-experience/

i will definitely look into that. thanks! 

i will definitely look into that. thanks! 

No problem, happy I could help :)

Chromebooks are not associated with power whatsoever, with only 2gb of RAM it will barely run a simple photo editing software.

You want something that is tough? Look into the Lenovo ThinkPad T/X/W series, Those laptops WILL last you 4 years.

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler