Big system upgrade

Go to solution Solved by Lavish,

Oh, seriously? I mean, should I really wait that long?

They wont increase performance by alot, I would estimate about a 10% performance increase max. Skylakes main selling point is cooler temps and better power efficiency, but the cooling is bogus because it goes by stock cooling, so you wont see a insane temp decrease to the point where you will NEED this chip. If you can stand the wait though I would hold off, the prices on the older cpus are bound to drop after the release. 

Hey guys, I've posted about this before, but this time I want to go into more detail. I have about 300 dollars with me. I want to buy a new CPU and some other things as well. 

I was planning on buying this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MQ2MvK

Are these parts good enough for gaming until, say, late 2016? Any reccomendations, any opinions?

Also, I was wondering if it would be worth it if I waited until Labor day to buy my parts. The problem with that is that the free Windows Upgrade thing only lasts until July 29th. So should I buy the parts later, hope for a sale or something, and risk not getting Windows 10?

i5 4460

H97 motherboard

Late 2016 it will be fine at that point it will be ur GPU which will need the upgrade not the CPU

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

i5 4460

H97 motherboard

Late 2016 it will be fine at that point it will be ur GPU which will need the upgrade not the CPU

I actually can afford a Z97, should I go for it?

I actually can afford a Z97, should I go for it?

Nah ur CPU isnt unlocked so it wont matter

4690k and Z97 is the best option

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Or you could wait. Skylake is coming out soon, and even if you aren't getting the newer CPUs, the prices are bound to drop for the older ones

Or you could wait. Skylake is coming out soon, and even if you aren't getting the newer CPUs, the prices are bound to drop for the older ones

Apparently the release date is August 5th. I'll definitely be waiting until then.

Apparently the release date is August 5th. I'll definitely be waiting until then.

I believe thats the mobile chips, the enthusiast and gaming chips wont launch until early 2016

Intel i5 4690k | NZXT Kraken x61 | MSI z97 Gaming 5 | MSI GTX 970 EVGA Supernova G2 750 G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB 2133mhz [2x8] | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB SSD NZXT H440 [black and Red]

Saving for a Dream rig :)

I believe thats the mobile chips, the enthusiast and gaming chips wont launch until early 2016

They wont increase performance by alot, I would estimate about a 10% performance increase max. Skylakes main selling point is cooler temps and better power efficiency, but the cooling is bogus because it goes by stock cooling, so you wont see a insane temp decrease to the point where you will NEED this chip. If you can stand the wait though I would hold off, the prices on the older cpus are bound to drop after the release. 

Intel i5 4690k | NZXT Kraken x61 | MSI z97 Gaming 5 | MSI GTX 970 EVGA Supernova G2 750 G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB 2133mhz [2x8] | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB SSD NZXT H440 [black and Red]

Saving for a Dream rig :)