Stuck on installing windows

xeCh

Hello,

I recently upgraded my 4 yr old computer to a z77 chip set with an i7. I reused my old sata2 HDD in my new build and reinstalling Windows 7 was a breeze. After 2 days of the fresh install of Windows, I was redownloading my programs when the whole computer froze. I tried all of shortcuts from alt+Ctrl Del, etc. Resorting me in pressing the reset button my case. After rebooting, I came across a MBR error about the boot/BCD is missing. I figured just to reformat the HDD again since the OS was just installed 2 days ago and I didn't want to fix the problem. When trying to reinstall win7 through a USB drive, the whole setup was really slow and took 10-20 minutes to get to the next step. During the win7 installation process and did its required reboot to finish the installation, I would keep getting a MBR error about the winload.exe being missing. Many attempts of trying to reformat the whole drive and used different copies of win7. I would keep getting the MBR error. Eventually the win7 setups wouldn't even load to the window where I change my language. I kept researching on why this is happening and saw some solutions like changing data to ide in the bios, disable the floppy or disabling USB controllers. Sometimes I would get past the language window but them would get stuck at the Setup is Starting screen. I would let the screen load for hours and still wouldn't progress to the next step. I'm using the Asrock z77 Extreme4 motherboard and I don't understand why this happening when win7 installed successfully the first time but then won't install again. Help would be appreciated. I'm currently trying to put the HDD back into my old system to see if the HDD might be the problem.

Yeah, to me it sounds like the hdd failed. Try getting a wd black, it's a great hard drive, really. But before you do that do make sure the hdd is the problem

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

Thats what I'm assuming as well because when the first time my computer froze, I had 2 partitions. 1 partition for the OS and programs and the other as a back-up for my files. When I tried to reinstall win7 and got to the "where to install Windows screen", my backup partition wasn't there and only saw 1 partition of unallocated space. I'll trying buying a new HDD and test to see if its confirmed.

Well I'm convinced that my sata HDD is the problem. Installed it back into my old build and still get stuck at the installation screen. I found an old IDE HDD laying around and installed it since my old build still had a IDE port. Installation went smoothly on the IDE drive and currently in the desktop.

Yeah, I had a similar issue with an old HDD, and an RMA fixed it. Your hard drive's dead.

HTTP/2 203