Headphone/earphones for travelling

CookieDunne

Hi all,

So I am looking for a good pair of headphones or earphones for a long plane journey, so preferably comfy and have noise cancelling. I am flying to Japan and all in it will take 15 hours there and back. Only headphones I have right now are the Beats Studios (lets not talk about them, I was young and gave into the media pressure. I didn't know how bad they actually were.).

Little information - I don't mind if it's headphones or earphones, I don't have a preference. I am from the UK and not looking to spend more than £150 (I could go a little higher if they're worth it). They will be used on a range of music from EDM, house, rap and pop (got to get the TSwift in my life) as well as movies and my handheld console.

Think that's all you need, if you need any more information just ask away. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

ATH-M50x

I own these and use them for my everything audio related basically. Super comfortable and good looking.

iI1g2Td.png

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

The only headphones that comes instantly into my mind are the Bose Quietcomfort 25,

because they're pretty comfy and got noise cancelling.

But they are really expensive and don't sound good whithout noise cancelling turned on... 

...which is weird, but true - I tried them

So if you run out of battery they sound pretty shitty.

(Sry for bad english)

ATH-M50X or ATH-M40x if you dont have the dough

Current PC: Chimera, Because AMD and Nvidia belong together

| CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P | RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866 | Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256 GB SSD, 2x Seagate 1TB 7200RPM HDD | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750ti 2GB SC | Case: CM N600 | PSU: Corsair CX 600W(Overkill but I was originaly planning for a 970) | Moniter: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24" |

Left five, Don't cut, Be brave.

Looks like the M50X's are popular and they're fairly cheap. Will watch some reviews of them and possibly pick them up. Thanks for all the recommendations so far guys. Keep them coming if you think there are better ones than the M50X's.

I'd skip noise cancelling and spend the money on some in-ears. I fly more than average, and in-ears suit my needs perfectly and I my ears get really tired from noise cancelling. They're not for everyone though, so try a pair out before you consider buying if you haven't tried that type before.

Edit: oh, and they dead useful for everyday use as well, instead of lugging around large circumaural cans on commutes etc. I have large cans at home, but use in-ears for all my travelling. Whatever floats your boat. :-) I have two pairs of the Shure SE series in different price ranges.

I'd skip noise cancelling and spend the money on some in-ears. I fly more than average, and in-ears suit my needs perfectly and I my ears get really tired from noise cancelling. They're not for everyone though, so try a pair out before you consider buying if you haven't tried that type before.

Edit: oh, and they dead useful for everyday use as well, instead of lugging around large circumaural cans on commutes etc. I have large cans at home, but use in-ears for all my travelling. Whatever floats your boat. :-) I have two pairs of the Shure SE series in different price ranges.

You just contradicted yourself because the shure SE series are known for noise cancellation. Other then that IEM's are pretty good.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

You just contradicted yourself because the shure SE series are known for noise cancellation. Other then that IEM's are pretty good.

Umm, no. Sound isolating, not noise cancelling. Big difference.

Umm, no. Sound isolating, not noise cancelling. Big difference.

There's such thing as passive noise cancellation which the shures do indeed have by design by literally blocking the ear canal with the ear piece they give you. "The short version is this: noise isolating headphones physically block ambient noise with their seal against your ear; noise cancelling may do that too, but also electronically cancel the actual soundwaves it depends on active noise cancellation vs. passive noise cancellation the shures could be considered both doesn't really matter you just contradicted yourself saying noise cancellation/isolation is fatiguing and turned around and recommend shures which do exactly that.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

There's such thing as passive noise cancellation which the shures do indeed have by design by literally blocking the ear canal with the ear piece they give you. "The short version is this: noise isolating headphones physically block ambient noise with their seal against your ear; noise cancelling may do that too, but also electronically cancel the actual soundwaves it depends on active noise cancellation vs. passive noise cancellation the shures could be considered both doesn't really matter you just contradicted yourself saying noise cancellation/isolation is fatiguing and turned around and recommend shures which do exactly that.

Noise cancelling is active. Noise isolation is passive. SE series are isolating. Also, read my post again, nowhere did I write that isolation is fatiguing for me.

I'd skip noise cancelling and spend the money on some in-ears. I fly more than average, and in-ears suit my needs perfectly and I my ears get really tired from noise cancelling. They're not for everyone though

Also, read my post again, nowhere did I write that isolation is fatiguing for me.

*Facepalm*

*Facepalm*

Wow dude, your reading comprehension needs some work. I don't know how to make this any clearer for you, but I'll try one last time. Noise  cancelling  and noise isolation is not the same. Here you go. http://blog.shure.com/noise-cancellation-or-sound-isolation-whats-the-difference/

What I said was that noise cancelling tires my ears, but that the SE series work fine for me since they are sound isolating, not cancelling:

I'd skip noise cancelling and spend the money on some in-ears. I fly more than average, and in-ears suit my needs perfectly and I my ears get really tired from noise cancelling.

This subforum is, just, wow...

Snip

Snip

M50x. For plane travelling? Are you kidding me? No. Absolutely no.

OP, I'd recommend something like SE215 and the triple flange eartips. I use westone 4R with triple flange for my daily commute and air travel. The only thing I could hear (or rather feel) is the sound/vibration from the engine.

I generally don't recommend SE215 but for travelling, the extra bass will help to drown the engine rumble and the negative shape of the iem provides a much better comfort than your usual IEM or headphone for moving or sleeping

OP, I'd recommend something like SE215 and the triple flange eartips. I use westone 4R with triple flange for my daily commute and air travel. The only thing I could hear (or rather feel) is the sound/vibration from the engine.

I could never get those triple flanges to feel comfortable, I use the yellow foam ones. They are a bit of a pain in the ass to remove and reinsert though.

OP: if you decide to go with iem's, they usually come with a variety of different earbuds, usually some kind of foam, triple flanges and some rubber ones, in different sizes, so you can use the one that suits you the best. And the buds usually are pretty cheap to replace.