2 GTX 660's or 1 GTX 970?

Right. at the moment I have a EVGA GTX 660 in my system. With my current setup it can run most games medium without an issue, but soon i'm gonna be upgrading to a 3 monitor setup and i want to be able to play the games across 3 monitors with reasonable graphics and on one monitor at high graphics. My motherboard doesn't support SLI so i'd have to get a new motherboard to support SLI if I do go with that method. What is your guy's opinion on the matter? Everything else can support both options so no other parts would need to be changed. Only the motherboard if I was going with SLI.

If your mobo doesn't support SLI then get a single card,

For triple 1080p I would get a R9 390

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

Definitely go with a single card solution, unless you have more reasons to get a new motherboard than the extra PCIe slot (like better audio, m.2 slots, or something like that). 

The 970 is a great card, but you might be able to reap some benefits from the 8GB of vram on the r9 390 in a triple monitor setup.

I'd honestly recommend a 390, the extra vram has proven itself in higher resolutions over the 970. Out of those 2 options you gave however, a single 970 will do you more good.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED