Need some Help, UEFI/GPT

Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

1- Yes you need to convert your partition to GPT disk before you install WIndows. In fact, the moment you turn on UEFI mode, Windows 8 setup will refuse to install on MBR partition

2- CSM is needed if your graphic card is not GOP ready. Intel GPUs are GOP ready, Nvidia and AMD are not. To make an Nvidia or AMD graphic card GOP ready, you need to update the firmware from the manufacture of your card (ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI etc.), that will make it GOP ready. It must be noted that once your graphic card is GOP ready it will NO LONGER work under a BIOS system (the only reason why Intel works with or without CSM is because the system updates the firmware automatically so it works), nor a non fully supported UEFI system. Also, not all graphic card from the manufacture can be made GOP ready. It really depends if the manufacture wants to support it, also if they put an upgradable firmware chip (some can't be written to), and finally, some put firmware chip is too small for fitting a GOP ready firmware. As the graphic card will no longer work for BIOS, many manufactures don't put the graphic card firmware public, you need to contact tech support to have it. Hopefully in the future, we have a switch on the graphic card or jumper system to switch between the classic firmware and GOP ready firmware on the graphic card.

3- Secure Boot doesn't slow down the boot process. So you can leave it off.

4- I don't understand you.

Ok so I'm thinking of reinstalling windows 8 on a GPT Disk rather than the MBR I'm using atm.

Basically I want Fast Boot :)

So my questions are:

1. Do I need to convert to a GPT Disk BEFORE I boot from the Win8 Disk? or Can I convert to GPT from the Install Disk?

2. If I disable CSM, Enable Secure Boot and Fast Boot, That's it? anything else I need to do?

3. If I later decide to dual boot with linux, Can I Disable Secure Boot/Enable CSM and Still Boot from that Windows GPT Disk (albeit without Fast Boot?)

4. Ghosting/Imaging Software, What would copy the GPT Security Keys and such? Is this even possible?

Thanks.

1- Yes you need to convert your partition to GPT disk before you install WIndows. In fact, the moment you turn on UEFI mode, Windows 8 setup will refuse to install on MBR partition

2- CSM is needed if your graphic card is not GOP ready. Intel GPUs are GOP ready, Nvidia and AMD are not. To make an Nvidia or AMD graphic card GOP ready, you need to update the firmware from the manufacture of your card (ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI etc.), that will make it GOP ready. It must be noted that once your graphic card is GOP ready it will NO LONGER work under a BIOS system (the only reason why Intel works with or without CSM is because the system updates the firmware automatically so it works), nor a non fully supported UEFI system. Also, not all graphic card from the manufacture can be made GOP ready. It really depends if the manufacture wants to support it, also if they put an upgradable firmware chip (some can't be written to), and finally, some put firmware chip is too small for fitting a GOP ready firmware. As the graphic card will no longer work for BIOS, many manufactures don't put the graphic card firmware public, you need to contact tech support to have it. Hopefully in the future, we have a switch on the graphic card or jumper system to switch between the classic firmware and GOP ready firmware on the graphic card.

Hey, Thanks for the Reply

So I take it there is nowhere in the setup that will allow you to convert to a GPT Disk? I can always do it from a boot CD if needs be.

I updated the BIOS on my 670, (ASUS DCUII), and it's apparently a hybrid so it works with GOP and Older BIOS :)

From here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?32906-ASUS-UEFI-vBIOS-tool-for-GTX-600-series-cards!-It-s-Here!

As for no.4, I read that when you install Windows on a GPT Disk it creates a Security Partition which is hard to image, I found this article: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/imaging-efiuefi-system-windows-8-and-symantec-ghost-usb

It seems like a long winded process just to make an image so I think I'll forget about it XD

Thanks again.

When I tried, it showed an error.

But I don't know if it will do it on a brand new drive never formatted before.

Please note, I have not tried what I said above. I did my research, I wanted to try, but instead of getting a fast booting system, I got a super duper slow one, because I learned that my BIOS, despite having the option to enable UEFI, it was fully supported UEFI. So I had no choice to revert everything back. Luckily I didn't upgraded my GPU to GOP ready, as I would not, as I still have a GTX 260, and the firmware chip not only doesn't have enough memory, but it's obviously no longer supported. Oh and it's BFG, and that company closed down, sadly. But if it did worked, I was planning on enjoying the full fast speed once I get a new GPU.

My system is a Core i7 930, X78 chipset, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, 6GB of RAM triple channel.

I updated the BIOS on my 670, (ASUS DCUII), and it's apparently a hybrid so it works with GOP and Older BIOS :)

Ah excellent! Awesome!

As for no.4, I read that when you install Windows on a GPT Disk it creates a Security Partition which is hard to image, I found this article:

It seems like a long winded process just to make an image so I think I'll forget about it XD

Windows will create the partition and everything, you just need to make the drive GPT, or if you want to try, delete all partitions, no format, and see if Windows setup will create everything for you.

P.S: I hate Norton Ghost, we use it at work, and we are looking at different solutions. We also switch anti-virus to Microsoft ForeFront (cost MUCH, MUCH, less too), and perhaps look at the Microsoft solution for this.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hh974336.aspx