Is it even worth it to upgrade from sandy bridge?

So I've had my 2500k for about 4 years now, and by this time CPUs havent improved that much, the 4690k isnt that much faster in real world gaming benchmarks in high resolution and detail.

So my question is: will we see a major improvement with the skylake series? Or only time will tell?

no, probably not, just overclock your 2500k and you'll be able to handle most any GPU config you can throw at it. 

(you should be upgrading your 260x long before touching the cpu)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Skylake won't improve single core performance by much.
But multithreaded performance will be a lot better than before.

The best gaming CPU will probably still be the 4790k.

So I've had my 2500k for about 4 years now, and by this time CPUs havent improved that much, the 4690k isnt that much faster in real world gaming benchmarks in high resolution and detail.

So my question is: will we see a major improvement with the skylake series? Or only time will tell?

Nope not yet.

Skylake won't improve single core performance by much.

But multithreaded performance will be a lot better than before.

The best gaming CPU will probably still be the 4790k.

Why will skylake improve multithreaded performance? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

wait until kaby lake or ice lake

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

Only reason to upgrade really is other features brought in with newer chipsets.. Other than that.. not worth it.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

no, probably not, just overclock your 2500k and you'll be able to handle most any GPU config you can throw at it. 

(you should be upgrading your 260x long before touching the cpu)

i will be upgrading my gpu in 2 months probably

Why will skylake improve multithreaded performance? 

Don't ask me why. But I've seen some Cinebench, 3Dmark and other benchmarks and it was easy to see that the new i7 did really well in multithreaded workloads compared to the 4790k.

In single core performance it did not so well. The 4790k did sometimes even better iirc.

I think you can trust those benchmarks. They were leaked all over the internet. Still it's not 100% confirmed or anything.

I couldn't find the exact same benchmarks, but that screenshot here was part of it.

I couldn't find the gaming benchmarks with a GTX 970 and some other stuff.

cpu-monkey-i7-6700K-Skylake.jpg

Meanwhile I'm still on LGA1366 on my main rig lachen.gif

Okay, it's a dual-socket system and I primarily use it for applications which scale well with

thread count, but still, I honestly doubt I'll be upgrading before 2017 if I'm being honest.

And the Sandy Bridge machines in our household will probably last for quite a few years yet too.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

gpu upgrade maybe just maybe?

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Meanwhile I'm still on LGA1366 on my main rig lachen.gif

Okay, it's a dual-socket system and I primarily use it for applications which scale well with

thread count, but still, I honestly doubt I'll be upgrading before 2017 if I'm being honest.

And the Sandy Bridge machines in our household will probably last for quite a few years yet too.

i guess i got a huge bang for the buck by buying the 2500k 4 years ago

gpu upgrade maybe just maybe?

yes i will be upgrading my gpu in a few  months

i guess i got a huge bang for the buck by buying the 2500k 4 years ago

Hehe, yeah, I also still have a 2500 non-k and a 2600k, and I think they'll stay in service

for quite a while. There are scenarios where it makes sense to upgrade, but I'd say in most

circumstances, raw compute power probably isn't it. Newer motherboards might actually offer

a more compelling reason to ugprade with the newer USB versions, NVMe, M.2 slots and so on.

But purely from a CPU compute power point of view, I'd say you should be fine in most cases.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic