Dark Rock 3 heat sink does not fit with ram installed AMD BUILD

Go to solution Solved by MourningSouls,

We checked and with the hardware we were given there was no possible way to mount it facing front to back. 

I forgot AMD has a very rectangular setup.

That sucks. 3 options. Return the cooler and buy something else. Return the RAM and buy something low profile. Pull the heatspreader off the closest DIMM.

Pretty sure option 3 will void a warranty.

For those who want to see a DP3 on an AMD board.

http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/IMG_3863-WM.jpg

Hey all! So I just put together an AMD build for my friend and ran into some issues with the heat sink he purchased. Specifically we can't get our Dark Rock 3 to fit on the MSI 970A SLI Krait Edition motherboard with two dimms of G.Skill ripjawz installed. The motherboard requires that the dimms be installed on the first and third slots if there are only two dimms. The issue with this is the heat pipes on the Dark Rock 3 hit the heat spreaders on the dimms and I can't find a way around that. So as a solution we're just going to return the heat sink to Newegg and buy a different one. If anyone knows of a heat sink that doesn't conflict with the dimms I would be pretty thankful for your input, if not though I think I'm just going to go with the 212 Evo and see if that works. Thanks in advance. 

EDIT: Pcpartpicker list for full build. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XF8JQ7

This is why you research your components before purchase.

Look for a cooler that is compatible with high profile ram (also known as any stick of ram with a heatsink on it) and you should be fine

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Hey all! So I just put together an AMD build for my friend and ran into some issues with the heat sink he purchased. Specifically we can't get our Dark Rock 3 to fit on the MSI 970A SLI Krait Edition motherboard with two dimms of G.Skill ripjawz installed. The motherboard requires that the dimms be installed on the first and third slots if there are only two dimms. The issue with this is the heat pipes on the Dark Rock 3 hit the heat spreaders on the dimms and I can't find a way around that. So as a solution we're just going to return the heat sink

Have you tried installing the RAM on the second and fourth slot and seeing if that works lol?

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Hey all! So I just put together an AMD build for my friend and ran into some issues with the heat sink he purchased. Specifically we can't get our Dark Rock 3 to fit on the MSI 970A SLI Krait Edition motherboard with two dimms of G.Skill ripjawz installed. The motherboard requires that the dimms be installed on the first and third slots if there are only two dimms. The issue with this is the heat pipes on the Dark Rock 3 hit the heat spreaders on the dimms and I can't find a way around that. So as a solution we're just going to return the heat sink

Have you tried installing the RAM on the second and fourth slot and seeing if that works lol?

Yeah we tried that and we couldn't get the pc to display anything. 

Yeah we tried that and we couldn't get the pc to display anything. 

What the... this is really weird. Most boards don't have this kind of requirements, which I would qualify as a flaw.

Just tag @ChatDaw so I can answer as fast as possible.

If I recall correctly, the DRP3 does support Ripjaws RAM, but it seems like your friend has the orientation as up-down rather than front-back. Tell him/her to switch that if I'm correct.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

Ok can you mount the cooler in a different direction ? Maybe backwards so the fan doesn't get I.the way. Or even vertical where the fan points down or up?

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

If I recall correctly, the DRP3 does support Ripjaws RAM, but it seems like your friend has the orientation as up-down rather than front-back. Tell him/her to switch that if I'm correct.

We checked and with the hardware we were given there was no possible way to mount it facing front to back. 

I spent some time looking at different coolers, and after looking at the manual I think I'm going to go with the Noctua NH-U12S since it will for sure face front to back on an AM3 socket. 

Take a picture for us upload it imgur and post the bbcode/fourm into here to see if you mounted it wrong

Take a picture for us upload it imgur and post the bbcode/fourm into here to see if you mounted it wrong

Can't do that, we already took it off and temporarily replaced it with the stock heat sink to at least make sure everything works correctly which it does.  

EDIT: Thank god for PDFs of instructions http://www.bequiet.com/volumes/PDM/_products/bk018/bk018_mn_en.pdf

That sucks. 3 options. Return the cooler and buy something else. Return the RAM and buy something low profile. Pull the heatspreader off the closest DIMM.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

Yeah, we're going with option 1 and getting a NH-U12S instead, plus it's a few bucks cheaper so he'll get some money back.